Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Many of those were returned "NO Contract" I believe.

That would not be considered signing up now would it? There's zero basis for that belief other than wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The bin protestors missed a trick with that No Contract idea. If they had returned their bins with No Contract written on them they would never have been charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That would not be considered signing up now would it? There's zero basis for that belief other than wishful thinking.

There is zero proof on either side as to numbers actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

bigbertieb wrote: »
    i dont want to pay any more than i have to but its happening and the sooner people accept that the better.

if water charges arent paid another stealth will be imposed.

pay it and lets move on....

"Let us pay it...and move on".

I do not know where we move on to.

The next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stuff about gyms and bonuses is not a policy. Any self respecting private sector manager would get paid 10 times what a manager in IW does.

Anger is not a policy. What is their policy on funding the €1.77 billion investment planned by IW between now and 2016?

That is the single most stupid thing you have posted here . Literally the single most stupid thing.

You clearly have not got a breeze what the f you are talking about. And know nothing of payscales in private sector industry.

You have shown yourself to be less than informed is this is the type of nonsense that you are peddling.

If it wasnt so scary that you thing this is true it would be funny. (it aint funny)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I know what it is about. You made the ludicrous reference to apartheid in an attempt to justify the disregard of the law in a democracy, simply because you don’t agree with the law and imagine (with no supporting evidence) that the majority agree with you.

There are good arguments that you can make against IW and how it is emerged. You may even have an argument that the current way of funding water is better than a pay what you use approach.

Drawing parallels, however oblique, with apartheid however, is simply daft.[/QUOTE]

But it is de rigueur on AH. Any thread to do with separating money from unwilling citizens always has to make reference to the holy trinity. Slavery, the Nazis and apartheid. It just goes with the territory.

Also Martin Luther King and Gandhi must be mentioned.

That's an extremely narrow view.

There is no "any thread" scenario,other than what you choose to imagine.

Corruption,cronyism and deception,are descriptive and realistic.

You are diverting a long way from the subject matter.

I can only surmise why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

hju6 wrote: »
    I'm a lifelong Newcastle fan as is my wife, but we went to our local protest in the rain and missed the second half

More than worth it to stand in solidarity with thousands of fellow like minded citizens against this unjust charge

Liverpool fan here...and it sounds like I missed absolutely nothing.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

adrian92 wrote: »
    "Let us pay it...and move on".

I do not know where we move on to.

The next one?

We had a neutral budget just there, and while taxes like death are a certainty, no new taxes appear to be on the horizon. One thing this protest has achieved with is making it clear that this is the last straw, and I'm sure the government are only too happy to seize the opportunity now - whether rightly or wrongly - to sweeten the deal and shore up votes before 2016.

Don't be so dramatic.

gladrags wrote: »

That's an extremely narrow view.

There is no "any thread" scenario,other than what you choose to imagine.

Corruption,cronyism and deception,are descriptive and realistic.

You are diverting a long way from the subject matter.

I can only surmise why.

Surmise away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bigbertieb

move on as in lets get ireland back to being great and out of the sh*te it was in.....

the majourity of people are going to pay. 100, 000 odd people saying they aint paying isnt going to stop this tax....

deal with it

• Advertisement

besides miracle on 34th street is on..... chill people....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

move on as in lets get ireland back to being great and out of the sh*te it was in.....

the majourity of people are going to pay. 100, 000 odd people saying they aint paying isnt going to stop this tax....

deal with it
    When was Ireland great?

deal with it

Praytell how it does that?

What will you say when a Private IW increases your rates untethered. Will you be happy with 700 Per year charges 1000 Euro Per Year Charges?

Is it all going to be miracle on 34th street for you then?

it is and the soon as people realise that the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I don't plan on paying, but I said that about the Household Charge....
    Fair play to all who made their voices heard today......Powerfull stuff

However I can't get me head around these people 'protesting' on roads where GMC Sierra are contracted to install the meters.
    Surely IF you've no intention of paying it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if they installed 20 meters outside your house.
    You're either going to pay or you're not.

Or is there another separate agenda at play here??

gladrags wrote: »
    It was uplifting.

Was on O'Connell bridge at one point,and crowds were marching from left and right,along the quay,towards the GPO.

I was on the march from Heuston into O'Connell street and saw very groups large marching on the opposite side too.

Numbers were certainly in there many thousands and exceeded what I was expecting, I have to admit.

listermint... when it gets that high, come back to me.....
    scaremongering.

However I can't get me head around these people 'protesting' on roads where GMC Sierra are contracted to install the meters.
    Surely IF you've no intention of paying it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if they installed 20 meters outside your house.

They are testing out their new phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If water meters aren't installed, it throws their plans up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Is it, all our differing remarks about this matter?

Some loss of trust

Total loss, sadly.

None , it seems, understands.

• Advertisement

I saw what I saw.

Between 3k and 5k marching in Dublin and a crowd comprised of Sinn Fein / left voters.

It was not a disparate group. People waving Dublin GAA and smoking rolled cigarettes.

I don't mean to sound like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly but I'd say that the average income level and education level was pretty low.

You're a liar.

:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Rightwing wrote: »

But how does it if they're just going to bill you anyway

Genuinely interested and not trolling.
    If someone is determined not to pay...why would they care about the meter:confused:

Rightwing wrote: »

It's something which hasn't been covered much in this thread. The actual number of places where there is much interference with meter installation. The videos put online might give the impression that it is very widespread. But in Dundalk there was virtually no presence by protestors.

What is the position in other towns. Can anyone report?

listermint... when it gets that high, come back to me.....
    scaremongering.

No, when it gets that high it will be too late. And people like you with your happy go lucky nonsense will be crying into your cornflakes.

As you have the ability to signup to a web forum and seemingly can type i am sure you will be intelligent enough to realise that water is a huge commodity and alongside food resources has and is being actively targeted by investment funds right this moment. Whom as you also know are only in to make money, that is what private industry does and look after share holders. WHEN irish water become private it will be at the behest of its own shareholders. Who will not be You Me or the Irish Citizens.

Good luck controlling that.

Is this scare mongering or is it realism ? FG want water off their books, they want it out of their hands they have no intention of looking after it. Water is a national commodity it should be held within collective public ownership.

Food and Water Security will become more and more important as the population of this planet grows. But that stuff is too far out of reach for some people to contemplate.

Why we would actively choose to jeopardise our Water Security into private ownership is beyond me, and you dont have to be a lefty bloody conspiracy junkie to question it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

One estate in our town (of approx 4,000 people) was blocked off and the installers were not allowed access. Other reports of individual home owners not allowing the water meter installers access to their water mains, all well known via facebook.

yea i am intelligent and also intelligent enough to know that its a tax that has to be paid. i will pay the tax end of. like everyone should do.

all the conspiracy nonsence in the world aint going to stop it.

its here to stay. accept it.

listermint wrote: »
    No, when it gets that high it will be too late. And people like you with your happy go lucky nonsense will be crying into your cornflakes.

As you have the ability to signup to a web forum and seemingly can type i am sure you will be intelligent enough to realise that water is a huge commodity and alongside food resources has and is being actively targeted by investment funds right this moment. Whom as you also know are only in to make money, that is what private industry does and look after share holders. WHEN irish water become private it will be at the behest of its own shareholders. Who will not be You Me or the Irish Citizens.

Good luck controlling that.

Is this scare mongering or is it realism ? FG want water off their books, they want it out of their hands they have no intention of looking after it. Water is a national commodity it should be held within collective public ownership.

Food and Water Security will become more and more important as the population of this planet grows. But that stuff is too far out of reach for some people to contemplate.

Why we would actively choose to jeopardise our Water Security into private ownership is beyond me, and you dont have to be a lefty bloody conspiracy junkie to question it.

What happens if the next government abolishes Irish Water? Won't all of your WHEN it is privatised certainty go out the window then?

yea i am intelligent and also intelligent enough to know that its a tax that has to be paid. i will pay the tax end of. like everyone should do.

all the conspiracy nonsence in the world aint going to stop it.

its here to stay. accept it.

See that is the problem, You say you are intelligent but in the same breath wilfully are willing to pay ANY tax without question regardless of its purpose reason or mandate.

That for any normal person would put to question any purported claim of intelligence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's my understanding that the Energy regulator has to approve the water charge.

If the charge goes "through the roof", there will have to be a good reason for it, and that won't include giving shareholders a higher return on their investment.

Yes, the Govt wants water off the books so that it can attract external investment to repair the damage that's been done over the last 25 years of neglect

Supposedly, they are aware of the risks of privatisation, and during the darkest days of the IMF/Troika involvement, they refused to sell off ESB as it would be counter to the national interest, and there were comments on the Late Late on Friday evening that they view IW in the same light, it IS a national asset and needs to remain so.

That said, I've heard plenty of weasel words from politicians over the last while, so the best solution is for the future of IW (and ESB) to be enshrined in the constitution, so that NO political party or Government can sell it off without the specific approval of the electorate via referendum.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

I saw the march on the quays today.

First of all, the number were small relative to what was expected (3,000 to 5,000 I'd say).

Second of all, it was not what you'd call a disparate group. Everybody looked lower working class. Nobody looked like they had a job. There were a lot of people waving Dublin GAA flags. I saw no professional or middle class people at all. But then they work Monday to Friday to pay for those who were marching to live their lives...

I didn't protest because of the crap weather

I did a little survey of the people who said they were definitely going to the protest and did not go on account of the weather.
    now I admit that my sample size was insufficient for my survey to be officially recognized but the results were as follows
    people definitely going when asked last Tuesday : 23
    people from this group who actually went : 6
    people who used bad weather as an excuse not to go: 17
    % of people who attended protest : 26%

and if the estimate of 100,000 people attending is to be believed
    then that suggests that 385,000 people would have attended if the weather was better

385,000 voters
    be afraid Fine Gael
    be very afraid :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement