Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How are the protestors going to feel if the water charges are abolished (which I don't see happening) and in it's place everyone (including people with their own water and sewage systems, who have always paid for their own water supply, and people who were happy to pay water charges) ends up with an increase in other taxes in the next budget?

That's what SHOULD have been done, with the accrual ringfenced, like USC and put directly to use fixing the leaks in the system. When that was complete, the tax could be repealed.

Instead, they set up a quango for their buddies, with bill money (which will only rise and rise) going into their pockets, pensions, private gyms, ad nauseum.

How ANYONE could think that that's a better idea is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

zerks wrote: »
    Google.;)

No, you can't jump in declare things and then asked for a source simply tell people to search themselves thats not how thing's work

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

VinLieger wrote: »
    Okay yeah that suck's but being angry and pointing finger's won't actually fix the problem that the country will all be like roscommon in 10-20 year's unless we do something now, the vast majority of people protesting are happy to stick their finger's in their ears and shout about PPS number's and bonus's which I do agree with but then ignore the fact that our water infrastructure needs to be maintained and paying by use is the only FAIR way to do it.

My point is that they used Revenue to collect a sh1tload of money and still LA's had to go cap in hand to get some funds.This crock of gold was meant to be spent on local services.Isn't the provision of clean water and decent waste treatment one of the most basic yet important local services?
    There is simply no need for IW but here it is along with all the bells & whistles of bonuses,a fleet of company cars and private gyms to mention a few.

There is no need for scaremongering that the country is going to go dry in a few years if the people don't give this quango any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

yipeeeee wrote: »
    That's why I'm asking, is it leaks at the meter?

From the meter to your house,
    First fix free. Lots of reports saying otherwise, can't even fix leaks after they put the meters in, weeks for them to come out and see if the meter is leaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

It may cost you €188 to call out Irish Water to fix a leak

But only if the problem is on your side of the meter.

IRISH WATER HAS confirmed that it is seeking a €188 call out charge for people whose pipes are leaking.
    However, the semi-state company says that customers will only be charged for any work carried out on their side of the meter and customers will get the first call out for free.
    Irish Water has made the application to the Commission for Energy Regulation, but a spokesperson says this is subject to further consultation.
    The price would also include a €282 out of hours call-out fee, with an extra €141 an hour. It would also see Irish Water charging €220 to test water pressure and €17 for a special meter reading.
    A spokesperson told TheJournal.ie this afternoon that the public won’t be charged to call out workers to fix leaks on the public side of the meter.
    However, unblocking sewers or leaking pipes inside that marker are the responsibility of the homeowner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭tigger123

zerks wrote: »
    Google.;)

So you can't back up what you're saying? Or can you link anything that backs up what you're saying?

Augmerson wrote: »
    I was in Portlaoise. It was just ordinary people, the kind you meet on the street or in the shops, of all ages, all walks of life.

Ah no they weren't.

Have you not been listening to the five of six members of the FG/IW circle jerk in this thread?

They were all dolies with rollies.

:pac:

IRISH WATER HAS confirmed that it is seeking a €188 call out charge for people whose pipes are leaking.
    However, the semi-state company says that customers will only be charged for any work carried out on their side of the meter and customers will get the first call out for free.
    Irish Water has made the application to the Commission for Energy Regulation, but a spokesperson says this is subject to further consultation.
    The price would also include a €282 out of hours call-out fee, with an extra €141 an hour. It would also see Irish Water charging €220 to test water pressure and €17 for a special meter reading.
    A spokesperson told TheJournal.ie this afternoon that the public won’t be charged to call out workers to fix leaks on the public side of the meter.
    However, unblocking sewers or leaking pipes inside that marker are the responsibility of the homeowner.

Yeah I will agree that's obscene, god Enda must just wake up every morning crossing his finger's they haven't managed to **** something else up, imagine being that disappointed every morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

If it takes them a day to fix it and I see them drinking tea and leaning on shovels I may just snap lol.I do not think I can afford this cost if I am paying them by the hour and they take days to fix things.It seems my bank account has leaky pipes and the cash if flooding out.I would love water conservation and love pipes to be fixed but the cash is going to the IMF and the Troika is making this happen.

A million homes have not returned their water packs so a million house dwellers cant be dolies with rollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

VinLieger wrote: »
    No, you can't jump in declare things and then asked for a source simply tell people to search themselves thats not how thing's work

Jaysus,this has been mentioned in this very thread.What I posted has been discussed ad-nauseum & it's not hard to find.Unlike some of the claims made by a few pro-posters.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/property-tax-uturn-is-cash-grab-against-city-councils-29698937.html

http://richardboydbarrett.ie/2014/09/22/local-property-tax-blackmail-will-see-funding-of-local-authorities-slashed/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stephen Donnelly TD was interviewed on RTE radio a few weeks back and he said that he had attended a couple of meetings with the Troika as part of the Dail Technical group. He was told by the Troika that there was no immediate pressure to implement the water charges, and if the government could come up with any alternative revenue creating plan other than water charges, the Troika would be on-board so long as it balanced the books.

Yet the government were hell bent on shoving through the water charges asap.

Anyone want to hazard a guess why?

I dont see what is wrong with charging everyone equally for something they use rather than jacking up taxes, which ill have to keep increasing with more usage and more people. With a flat charge or it being paid for out of taxes, usage will never drop, it will only ever going up, so providing water will only ever get more expensive.
    This is it. I saw these water charges for day one for what it was - a money raising exercise to bridge the deficit. The country has a deficit as in there's not enough money between income and expenditure. In the not so recent past we saw cutbacks like for example in the HSE to which theatres closed as a result, for one example. Yet, the government were able to find millions of euro to set up this IW company. At a time when we saw social welfare dropped for youngsters. Working schemes set up for the unemployed with nany people doing a full working week for their 100, 140, 188 euro dole, topped up by 50. We saw that the government were able to find 100s of thousands to pay out in the form of pay packs and bonuses.

I would have been able for a flat fee from the council rather than seeing the IW company which is a smack in the face for so many people taking us all for mugs and making an absolute mockery out from us.

Finding money to set something up that will bring money in isn't a problem. Its not the same as chucking bags of money in to a hole to burn.

I see now on facebook some of the groups are claiming over a million people marched yesterday. Seriously, 1 in 4 of every man, woman and child in the country? Making up numbers isn't beneficial to anyone. More worrying though is the gob****es that are believing them.

Reading through the comments on facebook (the protest pages, not just my friends pages) ,most people havnt a clue and theyre waffling on about any ****e fed to them on facebook. They clearly havnt even read up on the reasons they claim to be protesting. At least some are being truthful and admitting they just don't want to pay for water. Its not many though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No one is forcing you to call out Irish Water to fix a problem on your property. Call out a certified plumber, it'll be cheaper.

If it takes them a day to fix it and I see them drinking tea and leaning on shovels I may just snap lol.I do not think I can afford this cost if I am paying them by the hour and they take days to fix things.It seems my bank account has leaky pipes and the cash if flooding out.I would love water conservation and love pipes to be fixed but the cash is going to the IMF and the Troika is making this happen.

A million homes have not returned their water packs so a million house dwellers cant be dolies with rollies.

Just hire your own plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

This article is from Jan 2014.

Ireland opted out,Noonan cited a loss of jobs in the financial areas,the EU has since said job loss would not be a factor.

This is the first tax of its kind,levied by the EU.And it is regarded as a type of payback,for the damage done.

I cannot see why this country cannot levy all of the financial institutions,to contribute to,and pay their debt to to society,by funding the water upgrade.

"Euro ministers have agreed to implement the so-called ‘Robint Hood Tax’, a small levy on financial transactions that is seen by many as a way of making the financial sector pay for the economic crisis.

European finance ministers yesterday gave approval to 11 nations to go-ahead with introducing the tax on financial transactions following an agreement under what is known as “enhanced co-operation”.

The tax was initially proposed by France and Germany and they have been joined by Austria, Belgium, Estonia, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain."

www.thejournal.ie/financial-transaction-t...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

And this is a semi state body?
    Or is this a private company??
    How can someone on a low income afford this?

A lot of people on here moan about us Irish not protesting and standing up for our self's we are weak spineless people ,
    Yet when we do we are idiots!
    Damed if you do, Damed if ya don't!! Wtf!!?

No one if forcing you to call out Irish Water to fix a problem on your property. Call out a certified plumber, it'll be cheaper.

And you don't think plumbers are going to raise THEIR prices, knowing that people are going to try and circumvent IW's ridiculous call out charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

I dont see what is wrong with charging everyone equally for something they use rather than jacking up taxes, which ill have to keep increasing with more usage and more people. With a flat charge or it being paid for out of taxes, usage will never drop, it will only ever going up, so providing water will only ever get more expensive.

Finding money to set something up that will bring money in isn't a problem. Its not the same as chucking bags of money in to a hole to burn.

I see now on facebook some of the groups are claiming over a million people marched yesterday. Seriously, 1 in 4 of every man, woman and child in the country? Making up numbers isn't beneficial to anyone. More worrying though is the gob****es that are believing them.

Reading through the comments on facebook (the protest pages, not just my friends pages) ,most people havnt a clue and theyre waffling on about any ****e fed to them on facebook. They clearly havnt even read up on the reasons they claim to be protesting. At least some are being truthful and admitting they just don't want to pay for water. Its not many though.

RTE are quoting 120,000 ok for them to make figures up?

Tony EH wrote: »
    And you don't think plumbers are going to raise THEIR prices, knowing that people are going to try and circumvent IW's ridiculous call out charge.

And what was stopping them before?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The Goverment parties are handing power to Sinn Fein/IRA on a plate.

For the greater good, water charges should be dropped.

No one is forcing you to call out Irish Water to fix a problem on your property. Call out a certified plumber, it'll be cheaper.

And what was stopping them before?

They didn't have such an obvious incentive...obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'll take a guess here, and say protestors are protesting about:

Details revealed yesterday confirm Irish Water’s operating costs between now and 2016 will cost twice the average amount for similar regional groups in England and Wales and 2.6 times the price of its Scottish equivalent.

And:
    Senior managers in Irish Water will get €420,000 for car allowances this year as the number of staff getting premium benefits continues to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

gladrags wrote: »
    This article is from Jan 2014.

Ireland opted out,Noonan cited a loss of jobs in the financial areas,the EU has since said job loss would not be a factor.

This is the first tax of its kind,levied by the EU.And it is regarded as a type of payback,for the damage done.

I cannot see why this country cannot levy all of the financial institutions,to contribute to,and pay their debt to to society,by funding the water upgrade.

"Euro ministers have agreed to implement the so-called ‘Robint Hood Tax’, a small levy on financial transactions that is seen by many as a way of making the financial sector pay for the economic crisis.

European finance ministers yesterday gave approval to 11 nations to go-ahead with introducing the tax on financial transactions following an agreement under what is known as “enhanced co-operation”.

The tax was initially proposed by France and Germany and they have been joined by Austria, Belgium, Estonia, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain."

www.thejournal.ie/financial-transaction-t...

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'll take a guess here, and say protestors are protesting about:

Details revealed yesterday confirm Irish Water’s operating costs between now and 2016 will cost twice the average amount for similar regional groups in England and Wales and 2.6 times the price of its Scottish equivalent.

And:
    Senior managers in Irish Water will get €420,000 for car allowances this year as the number of staff getting premium benefits continues to grow.

Which will only mean that, if IW is allowed to continue, people's water bills will rise and rise, until one could be facing over a grand a year for their water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Indeed it is but this sham has nothing to do with conserving water.If we use less water you would think we would get charged less and conserve water but no they will charge you higher as they need profits for their company.It is about making profit from a national resource for a foreign company and paying back the banking loans and doing what the IMF says we need to do.

This is just one of the many uninformed claims, or maybe just blatant lies, going about. The only way water conservation will result in increased prices will be if the conservation is to such an extent that demand for water is reduced to a point where IW can no longer benefit from the economy of scale. It won't happen. Even if it did, they increase in production cost would have to completely overshadow any savings made from repairing the network. Even if both these unlikely scenarios are met, the company still have to apply to the regulator and make a case that they have taken other steps to reduce their losses.

I mean just look at your last sentence in that quote. Is it going to a foreign company or paying back the loans? Why would a foreign company pay back our loans? You don't even understand what conspiracy you believe in and have mixed them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They have been very fair with me so far. I got an acknowledgement for my application. The application pack was very clear and informative. The meter installers were nothing but polite and helpful.

I pay no heed to tabloid shock horror stories about gyms and bonuses and all that other nonsense. Water supply and waste water treatment have suffered from not having direct charges. I will judge them on their performance once they have been given a chance to get up and running.

A typical response of the little FG "yes man"type who never questions anything but supports the party regardless of policies.
    How much would people be paying for all sorts of things with little minds like that? Laughable.
    Thank God for the people with balls who do question.

This is just one of the many uninformed claims, or maybe just blatant lies, going about.

The only lies on this thread are thes ones coming from the FG/IW Circle Jerk conglomerate.

They didn't have such an obvious incentive...obviously.

How much business do you think a plumber who matches the deliberately high IW prices is going to get compared to one who doesn't? You've always had to pay for leaks on your side of the property, nothing has changed.

A typical response of the little FG "yes man"type who never questions anything but supports the party regardless of policies.
    How much would people be paying for all sorts of things with little minds like that? Laughable.
    Thank God for the people with balls who do question.

LOL and who all continuously voted in FF government's as that's who their father voted for?

These people don't have balls they just don't want to pay for water and are hiding behind the unfortunately convenient shambles that is IW.

If IW was not so quangoesque the protester's would have nothing beyond "I dont wanna pay for the water I use and want everyone else to foot the bill"

How much business do you think a plumber who matches the deliberately high IW prices is going to get compared to one who doesn't? You've always had to pay for leaks on your side of the property, nothing has changed.

If you think plumbers aren't going to take advantage of IW's farcical call out charge and jack up their prices, then you have another thing coming.

• Advertisement

The only lies on this thread are thes ones coming from the FG/IW Circle Jerk conglomerate.

Oh so our water infrastructure doesn't lose 40% into the ground due to the gross mismanagement of the LA's? That's great everything is suddenly fixed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement