Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But there will be no rival or similar firm. Who will they be making a comparison with?

Other network utilities, ESB, Eircom, the rest of Ervia

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So why wasn't / isn't the ESB sold off?
    because our boys in the ESB are the best in their field in the world and are world class, world respected, helping companies from other countries out in times of need, and the rest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

But all the other utilities now have competitors for the same service so I can understand bonuses awarded based on retaining a customer base. Water will have no competition so cannot claim to be like the other utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A big part of the current Government backtracking is their suggestion that they will extend flat rate charging for water , perhaps for many years.

If this is the case, I would like to know how they plan to adhere to one of their stated aims, i.e, conservation? I would also like to know how they would respond to the natural follow on question, who will be responsible for the several hundred millions of wasted euros in installing meters which will be idle in the ground if flat charging persists.

Because in my opinion, the people whose decisions waste more good money after bad, on that scale and at a time the country remains in hock, should be arrested and charged with treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

because our boys in the ESB are the best in their field in the world and are world class, world respected, helping companies from other countries out in times of need, and the rest.

And the customers might not be too happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A big part of the current Government backtracking is their suggestion that they will extend flat rate charging for water , perhaps for many years.

If this is the case, I would like to know how they plan to adhere to one of their stated aims, i.e, conservation? I would also like to know how they would respond to the natural follow on question, who will be responsible for the several hundred millions of wasted euros in installing meters which will be idle in the ground if flat charging persists.

Because in my opinion, the people whose decisions waste more good money after bad, on that scale and at a time the country remains in hock, should be arrested and charged with treason.

There seems to be plenty of benevolent punters on this thread all too willing to make up any shortfall brought about by the incompetence of the government & co. The worst punishment dished out so far was community service. Only those who protest against this water farce are likely to go to jail - looks like at golden, silver and bronze circle orbits everyone is immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

deco nate wrote: »
    Grow up!

Edit :care to add to the debate or are you just here to try to belittle me? Seeing as I have not seen a post by you?
    Yea, that's what I thought....

You have said that one of your problems with IW is that they 'have a gym + mod cons'. My concern is that its going to cost me because of the actions of people who protest over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

You have said that one of your problems with IW is that they 'have a gym + mod cons'. My concern is that its going to cost me because of the actions of people who protest over that.

Dan Breen wants his name back

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

There seems to be plenty of benevolent punters on this thread all too willing to make up any shortfall brought about by the incompetence of the government & co. The worst punishment dished out so far was community service. Only those who protest against this water farce are likely to go to jail - looks like at golden, silver and bronze circle orbits everyone is immune.

More victim mentality. Lots of finger pointing and blaming but no alternative solutions proposed. Should we just start planting money trees or just cover our eyes and ears and hope the problem will just go away?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Most political observers reject the claim by the protestors that IW will be sold off. They say it is a lie.

Yeah, the wording is along the lines of 'Irish Water cannot be sold off. ...unless the minister wants to'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Yeah, the wording is along the lines of 'Irish Water cannot be sold off. ...unless the minister wants to'

Until IW establish a steady and consistent revenue stream of sufficient size and can show that it is cutting its costs and is 'lean and efficient' it will be hard to see how attractive a company it might be to a group of 'vulture capitalists' such as hedge funds, pension funds or our very own denis o Brien whom a lot of people think already owns Irish water (refer to the myriad of Facebook anti water pages). Akso it needs to be borne in mind that IW has roughly 500 core employees spread out around the country and also has another 3,500 or so Local authority staff whom it pays under a 'service level agreement' for the next 12 years another item that might deter a sell off. Also I think it would be political suicide for whatever government party/coalition that would enact the required legislation for IW to be sold off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Can you give some evidence/examples illustrating how 'our boys' are the best in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Until IW establish a steady and consistent revenue stream of sufficient size and can show that it is cutting its costs and is 'lean and efficient' it will be hard to see how attractive a company it might be to a group of 'vulture capitalists' such as hedge funds, pension funds or our very own denis o Brien whom a lot of people think already owns Irish water (refer to the myriad of Facebook anti water pages). Akso it needs to be borne in mind that IW has roughly 500 core employees spread out around the country and also has another 3,500 or so Local authority staff whom it pays under a 'service level agreement' for the next 12 years another item that might deter a sell off

There has never and will never be a problem finding a buyer for a countries water infrastructure particularly not in a country like Ireland were rainfall is plentiful.

There would be very little if any efficiencies or years of doing anything at all for a fund to come in and want to buy it.

The nonsense that a government would have to do anything at all to sell it off is just that nonsense.

No fund in its right mind would overlook an opportunity to snatch up a food security especially one with a monopoly.

Where did you dream up your post from?

It's costing you right now. If your were foolish enough to sign up.

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

listermint wrote: »

The mind boggles

Well so far the only answer to why its bad that they have a gym is that their age demographic among their staff is old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The mind boggles
    Sweet jesus. Not another 'sure tis always raining in ireland' solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

When RTE are on your case........

You're bolloxed.

True. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of coverage they gave the protests and the vox pops yesterday in comparison to the Oct 11th march.

Sweet jesus. Not another 'sure tis always raining in ireland' solution.

Where did I say that Dan. Because I didn't congratulations on r more nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Plates wrote: »
    More victim mentality. Lots of finger pointing and blaming but no alternative solutions proposed. Should we just start planting money trees or just cover our eyes and ears and hope the problem will just go away?

OK - keep stumping up, gov & co know where the weak spots are now. Plenty has been written and spoken about the possibility of debt write down for example, but sure why bother when the electorate is so willing to be shafted over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

There has never and will never be a problem finding a buyer for a countries water infrastructure particularly not in a country like Ireland were rainfall is plentiful.

There would be very little if any efficiencies or years of doing anything at all for a fund to come in and want to buy it.

The nonsense that a government would have to do anything at all to sell it off is just that nonsense.

No fund in its right mind would overlook an opportunity to snatch up a food security especially one with a monopoly.

Where did you dream up your post from?

I bow to your superior (arrogant even) opinion.......Union infested organisations with huge pension responsibilities might not be that attractive either

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

And our taxes are being reduced. Water should be paid for by all, like all utilities....and not fall overwhelmingly on the shoulder of the PAYE worker.

The plan is for full cost recovery, so approximately €1bn for domestic water services is set to be paid for through metered usage. Average unmolested household cost of around €555.

The political will doesn't exist to impose this sort of bill, certainly not during the registration period, as we have seen.

As long as welfare recipients receive concessions or support for water charges, the PAYE tax payer will always pay significantly more for the water they use.

It doesn't take much imagination to see how this is going to pan out.

The talk of broadening the tax base is just talk unless the concessions are scrapped, and the LPT is the same.
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Well so far the only answer to why its bad that they have a gym is that their age demographic among their staff is old.

Are people just jealous of this Gym? To me it makes sense , healthy workers are more productive ,less prone to getting sick. if there's a gym in work they'll look forward to going into work . Exercising improves the overall well being of the worker.

I have a gym in work and It's great. It's an investment in the future.
    And even more important for older people to keep active!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

papu wrote: »
    Are people just jealous of this Gym? To me it makes sense , healthy workers are more productive ,less prone to getting sick. if there's a gym in work they'll look forward to going into work . Exercising improves the overall well being of the worker.

There's a gym in the Dail too and it's never used :rolleyes:

Also, the IW gym is in the Dublin HQ. The vast majority of IW employees are based outside of Dublin

Why not subsidies gym membership for all employees rather than providing a gym for a minority of workers, if they were serious about limiting absenteeism and promoting good health?

Jealous of the gym? Would you ever catch a grip of yourself.. pointing out wastage and inefficiency isn't jealousy and only an idiot would say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

We paid for a gym in the dail.

Productivity and attendance did not improve.

EDIT.
    People had to cancel the gym memberships they were paying out of their own honest earned cash.
    People had to cancel their Health cover
    People had to cancel extra curricular activities for their kids
    People have no holidays
    People have to forgo repairs to their cars and homes

And this self entitled Government crony riddled company thought it wise to give themselves a free gym?

(If my company pays for my gym membership I have to pay benefit in kind. )

Its not really about the gym itself, that is just another example of how they are getting on our tits. But don't worry about it. It won't be for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

There is a bar in the Dail that is always used.Far more than the Gym.Strange that.

But hay we are getting side tracked lets attack each other and be divided when we should be uniting the clans and fighting the leaders and IMF.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/Huntington123/fotoflexer_photo-343.jpg?t=1358410838

Going on protest march's keeps you fit,and costs nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

gladrags wrote: »

*Once a month :rolleyes:

gladrags wrote: »

Walking the dog in good clean country air, priceless.

True. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of coverage they gave the protests and the vox pops yesterday in comparison to the Oct 11th march.

The sindo on sunday is also giving it a lot of coverage,funnily enough.

Harris today was trying to claim he predicted all the fuss with IW.

Strange,usually they are condeming anything remotely left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Until IW establish a steady and consistent revenue stream of sufficient size and can show that it is cutting its costs and is 'lean and efficient' it will be hard to see how attractive a company it might be to a group of 'vulture capitalists' such as hedge funds, pension funds or our very own denis o Brien whom a lot of people think already owns Irish water (refer to the myriad of Facebook anti water pages). Akso it needs to be borne in mind that IW has roughly 500 core employees spread out around the country and also has another 3,500 or so Local authority staff whom it pays under a 'service level agreement' for the next 12 years another item that might deter a sell off. Also I think it would be political suicide for whatever government party/coalition that would enact the required legislation for IW to be sold off
    its hard to know. thatcher sold off almost everything and got reelected, even though the costs of doing so were crippling to the customer. prices go only one way up and up, with the companies either being private monopolies or cosy cartels

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement