Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'm afraid he didn't just make that up:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/all-households-must-pay-broadcasting-charge-237169.html
    Every liable household, without exception, will have to pay the new public service broadcasting charge.
    The charge will replace the television licence towards the end of next year.
    Nobody, it has been emphasised, will be able to argue against paying the charge on the grounds they do not have a television, computer, or any other device that can receive public service broadcasting.
    Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte wants to see the charge introduced by late 2014.

I misread his post. I know all about the broadcasting charge, I read it as 2 separate sentences , the 2nd being in reply to people being free to collect their own water. That's why I only quoted that one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

gladrags wrote: »
    Joe Costello interviewed on the 9pm news,said that the government needs to act quickly on Irish Water.

He said that a referendum should considered, in order to ascertain,what the people want.

He also said that the referendum,should also consider privatisation.
    Referendums on financial matters are unconstitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I agree but you should have seen the protest in Galway, there was a very strong Sinn Fein element.

I saw them in Dundalk yesterday too but they were not in charge. There were thousands of ordinary working-class people there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I agree but you should have seen the protest in Galway, there was a very strong Sinn Fein element.

Yeah I sensed that too. One man had a huge Irish flag right in front of the stage with the slogan Tiochfaidh Ár Lá written across it. The white portion of the flag had 2 rifles crossed with flags at the end - a tricolour and the papal flag. Ridiculous really but it certainly put me off. They were burning IW application packs in one corner where there were loads of Sinn Fein posters.

Yeah I sensed that too. One man had a huge Irish flag right in front of the stage with the slogan Tiochfaidh Ár Lá written across it. The white portion of the flag had 2 rifles crossed with flags at the end - a tricolour and the papal flag. Ridiculous really.
    Scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah I sensed that too. One man had a huge Irish flag right in front of the stage with the slogan Tiochfaidh Ár Lá written across it. The white portion of the flag had 2 rifles crossed with flags at the end - a tricolour and the papal flag. Ridiculous really.

Yes let one tool paint the whole movement. This is not sinn fein organised or sinn fein sponsored. Is there now a big FG push to paint all participants as members of the IRA?

Jesus I didn't know they had 150000 members that's news to me

listermint wrote: »
    Yes let one tool paint the whole movement. This is not sinn fein organised or sinn fein sponsored. Is there now a big FG push to paint all participants as members of the IRA?

Jesus I didn't know they had 150000 members that's news to me
    The movement needs to self regulate or scumbags like him will give them a bad name. Why was he allowed to march with that flag? Why didn't other protesters take it off him? Are we to construe that their lack of action signified agreement with his beliefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The movement needs to self regulate or scumbags like him will give them a bad name. Why was he allowed to march with that flag? Why didn't other protesters take it off him? Are we to construe that their lack of action signified acceptance of him beliefs?
    Free country I guess, unlike the water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

This government could well collapse in the new year. The next week will be very interesting. A lot of dissenting mutterings about Leinster House.

You just don't know,a week is a long time etc.Varadkar is being promoted as a Kenny replacement.

Kenny messed up big time with SF,Hogan and Noonans comments have added fuel to the fire.

Free country I guess, unlike the water
    Free country sure, but if you allow "people" (dirt is more accurate) like that to associate with your movement that you can't be surprised with people associate your movement with dirt like him.

• Advertisement

The movement needs to self regulate or scumbags like him will give them a bad name. Why was he allowed to march with that flag? Why didn't other protesters take it off him? Are we to construe that their lack of action signified agreement with his beliefs?

He was a big fella surrounded by a group of his buddies. I don't know if anyone asked him to take it down but he was certainly waving it about with vigour. I am not saying that the protests are Sinn Fein inspired or organised but they are certainly making hay from it which is to be expected but that particular flag was just dumb.

He was a big fella surrounded by a group of his buddies. I don't know if anyone asked him to take it down but he was certainly waving it about with vigour. I am not saying that the protests are Sinn Fein inspired or organised but they are certainly making hay from it which is to be expected but that particular flag was just dumb.
    Well I'm sorry but if dirt like that are allowed to march they will color people's perception of the movement. Whether fairly or unfairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Maybe not, maybe he was a government supporter trying to give the other punters a bad name. That's why it's foolish to speculate about motives.

What we do know is, a large % of the population are angry, and the government have boxed themselves into a tight corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

donvito99 wrote: »
    But SF still has the unrealistic fetish with the 32 counties

nothing unrealistic about it
    and it will happen some day
    but that's an argument for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Well I'm sorry but if dirt like that are allowed to march they will color people's perception of the movement. Whether fairly or unfairly.

I was speaking to a group of Gardai in the city centre by chance yesterday,as the protesters were congregating,in Dublin.

They told me that there was no trouble whatsover,not one incident.

Another Garda said that it was the same at the last march in October.

So lets not get carried away,their was no violence,and no unrest.

One or two people waving flags does not harm anyone.

Cheers

gladrags wrote: »
    I was speaking to a group of Gardai in the city centre by chance yesterday,as the protesters were congregating,in Dublin.

They told me that there was no trouble whatsover,not one incident.

Another Garda said that it was the same at the last march in October.

So lets not get carried away,their was no violence,and no unrest.

One or two people waving flags does not harm anyone.

Cheers

Thats the way it should be. They earn more respect that way, unlike the morons who taunt the Gardai and meter installers on housing estates.

There was absolutely no trouble in Galway either. Not a hint of it really. And you could see the crowd were made up of all walks of life. But I could see people being dissuaded from marching again if they think they are following a SF banner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Brian Stanley and Sinn Fein in Portlaoise tried to bring a political banner and stand at the very start of the procession on Saturday, despite having zero involvement in organizing the march. I think they were politely asked to move. Just jumping on the bandwagon. I don't think people were impressed.

The lads are taking queues out of endas big book of deflection. If you've got nothing to say about the matter at hand choose something ridiculous like one big bollix out of 150000 people waving a tiocfaidh ar la flag.

Self regulate will you cop on its community based organisation not some gang organised movement with security to eject people.

Utter stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are who available, the IRA army council that have disbanded :confused:

Are you even remotely familiar with the peace process?

Why is it still referred to as a peace 'process'. Is it a sort of implied threat(as Mcguinness implied when adams was arrested) that 'they haven't gone away you know'.

• Advertisement

Why is it still referred to as a peace 'process'. Is it a sort of implied threat(as Mcguinness implied when adams was arrested) that 'they haven't gone away you know'.

Anything in relation to the water protests?

Are who available, the IRA army council that have disbanded :confused:

Are you even remotely familiar with the peace process?

FFS:mad: stop hijacking this thread - stay on topic - this is meant to be about Irish Water and water charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

FFS:mad: stop hijacking this thread - stay on topic - this is meant to be about Irish Water and water charges.

No, I answered a question is all. efb is your man you're after tbh.

listermint wrote: »
    The lads are taking queues out of endas big book of deflection. If you've got nothing to say about the matter at hand choose something ridiculous like one big bollix out of 150000 people waving a tiocfaidh ar la flag.

Oh I am so sorry if my experience and perception upset your sensibilities. I shouldn't have even mentioned the example I provided for the SF influence that only I perceived. Apologies again. I'll try to be better.

Oh I am so sorry if my experience and perception upset your sensibilities. I shouldn't have even mentioned the example I provided for the SF influence that only I perceived. Apologies again. I'll try to be better.

No your attempting to paint a movememt participated by 150000 normal people from the length and breath of the country as something it's not. I was at both protests and the deflection from the good community work and spirit that is generated is disgusting.

Utterly disgusting

No, I answered a question is all. efb is your man you're after tbh.

yer grand - havent the energy to go after anyone - its just tiring catching up on posts when they go off on a mad tangent and you lost the whole point of the thing arguing small points back & forth about other stuff.........think I need a break from this for a bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

efb wrote: »
    The polls had to hem winning Dub SW, but those Water Charges tripped them up!!!!

The polls didn't "have them winning", they don't take transfers into account.

Polls suggested that they'd receive the most first preference votes, which they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You do not put stuff in the constitution about bloody utilities. There is enough superfluous stuff in there as it is about society that has nothing to do with structuring a republic.

Joe Costello or anyone else who suggests a referendum is a cretin.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You do not put stuff in the constitution about bloody utilities. There is enough superfluous stuff in there as it is about society that has nothing to do with structuring a republic.

Joe Costello or anyone else who suggests a referendum is a cretin.

Is water and food security not a societal issue.? After all it was a large part of what killed millions on this very island. Don't forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Any protest that would make a TD resign absolutely would be a success.

A councillor? I think the "right to water" gang have their sights set a bit higher than that. :pac:

The mayor.

Green shoots....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement