Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Coveney could go himself if he doesn't mind his constituents ;)

His comments have all the hallmarks of panic,not certainty.

And clearly on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

Impossible to say. You'd have to know what repairs would be made to the network, how much conservation would occur by users and what changes are to be made to the collection and purification process if any. And that's aside from any internal factors such as redundancies and bonuses and all the rest.

Ballpark figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Ballpark figure?

it appears you have difficulty comprehending the word impossible.

VinLieger wrote: »
    How could I possibly know that? All I said was that the energy regulator has to approve any increase in price.

So you are on here day and night urging people to sign for a charge that you haven't a clue what it will be.
    Are you an IW director?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So you are on here day and night urging people to sign for a charge that you haven't a clue what it will be.
    Are you an IW director?

Go and find a post where I tell people to sign up for anything, there's a lot of my post's to go through so I wish you the best of luck, oh and when you find none you can come back and apologies for making ignorant baseless claims about thing's I haven't done.

I have been advocating paying for our water on a by use basis. If you had read more than 10 pages of the thread you would have seen that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ah now in Fairness, the man's human. He is entitled to a bit of privacy.

it appears you have difficulty comprehending the word impossible.

Maybe I don't believe its impossible to at least get a rough estimate on how much money IW plan to raise net year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Maybe I don't believe its impossible to at least get a rough estimate on how much money IW plan to raise net year

Perhaps ask them ? They have a twitter

VinLieger wrote: »
    Go and find a post where I tell people to sign up for anything, there's a lot of my post's to go through so I wish you the best of luck, oh and when you find none you can come back and apologies for making ignorant baseless claims about thing's I haven't done.

I have been advocating paying for our water on a by use basis. If you had read more than 10 pages of the thread you would have seen that

So the 80% of homes with no meter should not pay until one is installed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So the 80% of homes with no meter should not pay until one is installed?

No we all pay a flat rate until we get them all installed, nice straw man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,972 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Alan Kelly, Lamb to the slaughter, on Six One now apologising.
    "We will bring in modest charges".

The BIG backdown has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Alan Kelly looked embarrassed on RTE, and so he should be. They have no idea what they are doing bar saying the mantra that they need to raise 600 Million each year to look after water services and waste water, then it was 800 Million and i think a billion was then mentioned.

He then mentioned businesses in Dublin City Centre who need access to clean water for business.

Alan where are the business water rates currently going ?

Alan where is the fixed monies from 1997 fenced off for water going ?

Alan where is this mega surplus and the FG sponsored 4% growth in the irish economy going ?

Why do we really need to do any of this Alan. Enough of your FG mantra about we need to do this and we need to do that and IW is here to stay and we have to pay for water. Answer the bloody questions above Alan.

He should be embarrassed because it is embarrassing that he thinks we are all fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Alan Kelly, Lamb to the slaughter, on Six One now apologising.
    "We will bring in modest charges".

The BIG backdown has begun.

And Enda talking to Facebook workers in their new office all about it! They looked about as interested in him as I am in watching paint dry

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

Every time the government fuk up lo and behold 5min slot on six one without opposition.
    Not one hard question put to Alan Kelly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

So tell us Vin,if there is 100% compliance next year on the metered/assessed charges how much will this raise?

How much will IW need each year?

It will raise about €150 million. Net.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-water-tenants-told-pay-4451019

IW need around €1.2 billion per year, not including the seperate €1.7billion given by the exchequer to fund capital works for next 2 years.

Any hopes of savings are unlikely to materialise.

http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/bord-gais-falls-far-short-of-300m-in-savings-pledged-for-irish-water-30146839.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

MugMugs wrote: »
    And Enda talking to Facebook workers in their new office all about it! They looked about as interested in him as I am in watching paint dry

Tbf I thought Enda looked a bit shook and like a man who has some sleepless nights. He must have got a lashing of some within FG after his flippant comments on income tax the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

listermint wrote: »
    No but we could have borrowed the day to day running fairly readily if we hadnt let Europe tie the unsecure bonds to our raft.
    Surely the reason we accepted the banking debt was because it was a condition imposed as part of the Troika deal. If we could easily have borrowed somewhere else, why did we accept such a bad deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No-one's going to jail. You'll just screw your credit rating. And I certainly wouldn't like to be in a position where I couldn't get a loan or credit card or buy a car or get any finance for a new sofa.

I reckon if someone can't afford to pay their water tax, then looking for credit to buy a car will be low on their priorities tbh...

I think history will prove different.
    I think you are right. Alas that is history. But I think these discussions show why populism is so, well, popular in Irish politics.

And the turmoil of the last few years has shown, for those who look, how disastrous this can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Tbf I thought Enda looked a bit shook and like a man who has some sleepless nights. He must have got a lashing of some within FG after his flippant comments on income tax the other night.

Why bring it up there though? Did you see the face on those people? They couldn't care less! He'd be better served addressing his countrymen. Poor Enda, the sheep are finally biting back and he doesn't know what to do. This resistance of IW has actually changed my opinion on this whole debacle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

It will raise about €150 million. Net.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-water-tenants-told-pay-4451019

IW need around €1.2 billion per year, not including the seperate €1.7billion given by the exchequer to fund capital works for next 2 years.

Any hopes of savings are unlikely to materialise.

http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/bord-gais-falls-far-short-of-300m-in-savings-pledged-for-irish-water-30146839.html

we spent 630 million euros last year on foreign aid. a ridiculous sum considering back here at home plenty of our own people are struggling to make ends meet and have their backs to the wall. yet we are handing out over half a billion to help out other countries and their people whilst our people struggle. If we weren't in the position we are in and could afford to help other countries I have no problem with it. but how can we justify handing out such a sum when our own people are struggling. we look after our own first and foremost because nobody else is going to do that for us. then we think about others. so there is a potential 600 million + to put toward the water charges and ease the burden on our people.

I think you are right. Alas that is history. But I think these discussions show why populism is so, well, popular in Irish politics.

And the turmoil of the last few years has shown, for those who look, how disastrous this can be.

You understand the term Democracy, its done on a vote based system.

Its both physically and mentally tiring everytime someone mentions the term populism when it comes to democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why bring it up there though? Did you see the face on those people? They couldn't care less! He'd be better served addressing his countrymen. Poor Enda, the sheep are finally biting back and he doesn't know what to do. This resistance of IW has actually changed my opinion on this whole debacle

Id say he was answering a question put to him from the audience or by a journo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

WakeUp wrote: »
    we spent 630 million euros last year on foreign aid. a ridiculous sum considering back here at home plenty of our own people are struggling to make ends meet and have their backs to the wall. yet we are handing out over half a billion to help out other countries and their people whilst our people struggle. If we weren't in the position we are in and could afford to help other countries I have no problem with it. but how can we justify handing out such a sum when our own people are struggling. we look after our own first and foremost because nobody else is going to do that for us. then we think about others. so there is a potential 600 million + to put toward the water charges and ease the burden on our people.

Our own people are "struggling" as you say, but they're not keeling over and dying owing to starvation and disease and other preventable illnesses. So I say we should continue living up to our responsibilities to do right by our fellow man. Things will get better for us, the same cannot be said of people in Ebola stricken areas, or new refugees in the Middle East facing into a third or fourth winter, or the more established displaced population in central Africa. Irish Aid is good at what it does - better than lots of other agents of Government - so why take their funding away? Tax breaks for multi nationals is equivalent to "handing over" cash to companies resident in other countries.

You understand the term Democracy, its done on a vote based system.

Its both physically and mentally tiring everytime someone mentions the term populism when it comes to democracy.

I have no idea what your point is.

I have no idea what your point is.

Democracy means stuff is decided on popular vote.

Did i really have to spell that out.

The calibre of post is falling dramatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

donvito99 wrote: »
    Our own people are "struggling" as you say, but they're not keeling over and dying owing to starvation and disease and other preventable illnesses. So I say we should continue living up to our responsibilities to do right by our fellow man. Things will get better for us, the same cannot be said of people in Ebola stricken areas, or new refugees in the Middle East facing into a third or fourth winter, or the more established displaced population in central Africa. Irish Aid is good at what it does - better than lots of other agents of Government - so why take their funding away? Tax breaks for multi nationals is equivalent to "handing over" cash to companies resident in other countries.

The only responsibility our government has is to do right and look after and out for the interests and well being of the citizens of this state and nobody else. every other nation and person on this planet regardless of their situation comes a distant second that. because thats how the world works. when we are in a position to help other nations out we do it and I support it 100%. but when we arent and fiscally we are not in a position to do so at the moment and our people are struggling we dont. just how it is.

Democracy means stuff is decided on popular vote.

Did i really have to spell that out.
    Ah, right. That is to say, you are wrong. "Stuff" is not decided on a popular vote - it would all but impossibly to do anything if everything was put to a popular vote.

Not a single budget, ever, at any time would pass if it required a popular mandate. Nor would any unpopular decision. (Presumably you do not believe that a government never has to make an unpopular decision?)
    The calibre of post is falling dramatically
    You have to wonder, if the anti-side are closing in on victory as they seem to think they are, why all the anger? ;)

• Advertisement

Ah, right. That is to say, you are wrong. "Stuff" is not decided on a popular vote - it would all but impossibly to do anything if everything was put to a popular vote.

Not a single budget, ever, at any time would pass if it required a popular mandate. Nor would any unpopular decision. (Presumably you do not believe that a government never has to make an unpopular decision?)

You have to wonder, if the anti-side are closing in on victory as they seem to think they are, why all the anger? ;)

Anger ? :confused:

I was stating a fact, the calibre of post. Most notibly by your recent addition are below calibre.

It is all decided on popular vote.

The Government, The Choices they make everything is done on popular vote. Its called democracy. It just depends whom is included in each vote.

For the government the people decide (based on popular vote)

For Policies the Government decides( supposedly based on popular vote but the whip system voids this)

But again as i said democracy is popular vote. I am quite surprised i had to point this out.

For example if people are dissatisfied with the government, they wont get back in by popular vote to some other party.

Do i need to get crayons to demonstrate how the term populist cannot be applied to politics. Politics is ALL ABOUT popularity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement