Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Worked our bill out few weeks back and it was in and around the 480 a year mark and that's with being careful. Brother worked his out a little higher think it was 525 a year. Doesn't make a difference to me either way as im not paying twice and I know it will be privatised and increased over time but I thought it was interesting because we are told it will be around 240 a year lol. Anyway good luck to those paying you will be sorry in a few years time when the bills for 800-1000 a year start to drop through the letterbox.

And what do you think will be dropping through your letterbox

Anyway good luck to those paying you will be sorry in a few years time when the bills for 800-1000 a year start to drop through the letterbox.

Good luck to those not paying when they are eventually forced to pay a massive bill and penalties for refusing to pay from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good luck to those not paying when they are eventually forced to pay a massive bill and penalties for refusing to pay from the start.

Pat Pat,

Heres a biscuit now ive filled your bowl up in the corner there well done boy good job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Just had a quick thought.

If the water works the other way in Australia,
    Do they pay you to use the water there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

And what do you think will be dropping through your letterbox

They can put want they want in the letterbox pal I still wont be handing over a cent of my hard earned wages. Take me to court, put me in jail it makes no difference to me and I'm one of many many people who are of the same mind. Like I said good luck to those who pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

They can put want they want in the letterbox pal I still wont be handing over a cent of my hard earned wages. Take me to court, put me in jail it makes no difference to me and I'm one of many many people who are of the same mind. Like I said good luck to those who pay.

You might want to rethink your strategy there.

Valetta wrote: »

Doubt it,

Despite the most valiant efforts of FG cheer team here. Its all falling apart with FG looking like they have no where to go.

'Shambles'

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

listermint wrote: »
    Pat Pat,

Heres a biscuit now ive filled your bowl up in the corner there well done boy good job

Quite an amount of irony in that quote since so many of the "protestors" play the poor mouth so much you'd think they were only able to afford to eat dog food (after they've paid for their mobile phone bill, Sky/NTL, few pints, obligatory sun holiday etc.). "Can't pay, won't pay" my ar*e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ste- wrote: »
    Just had a quick thought.

If the water works the other way in Australia,
    Do they pay you to use the water there ?

Maybe,, but It could mean d**k head posts would be made by -etS

Plates wrote: »
    Quite an amount of irony in that quote since so many of the "protestors" play the poor mouth so much you'd think they were only able to afford to eat dog food (after they've paid for their mobile phone bill, Sky/NTL, few pints, obligatory sun holiday etc.). "Can't pay, won't pay" my ar*e.

Can pay, but what am i paying for.

Try that for a slogan.

IW is a scam, its another buddy buddy organisation and the remit was not to fix the infrastructure. Its primary concern is revenue generation. And the selecte few buddy buddys on the board and at the helm are the chosen few.

Is this what you want to pay for??

It was so effectively badly implemented they will write studies on how not to setup an infrastructure company.

Just BAD, plain BAD from start to finish.

Id garner if i gave the project to a 4th Class In primary school they could have set this up more efficiently and probably give less jobs to their mates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Over a million of us are quaking in our little Wellington boots I'm sure.

Look were threats and intimidating postures left this coalition. Surely they're finished with the threats for a while at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I think they used up that card too many times already, the threat card is it, fear of imposition of penal extra charges for not being good little boys and girls that just shut up and do what they are told.
    They can only roll that out so many times, its expired, gone past that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

geeksauce wrote: »
    Is that 10,621 per adult disposable income per year, as in anyone with less than 10,621 disposable income per year is AROP?

To be precise, it's equivalised disp income per adult.

Note: disp income = Gross income + social transfers - direct taxes

Let's say your only income is 188 pw JSA = 9776 pa, you are AROP

For a 2-person household, the 10,621 is NOT doubled, and children are not worth the same as the first adult.

2A + 2C = 24,641 - under that and the family are AROP

Valetta wrote: »

Why I run my own business hardly going to fire myself? I've been inside for the non payment of the licence fee before (in and out in around two hours). Do you really think we have the capacity to send literally hundreds of thousands of people who are right in their beliefs to prison?

Bring it on the government is fighting a losing fight here.:)

cerastes wrote: »
    I think they used up that card too many times already, the threat card is it, fear of imposition of penal extra charges for not being good little boys and girls that just shut up and do what they are told.
    They can only roll that out so many times, its expired, gone past that now.

Tax was cut in the budget and an awful lot of people will take more money home next year than this year even after water charges.

This fact is completely and totally lost on the protesters. reverse everything (cancel water charges and increase the taxes again) and I'm worse off at the end of the month. It also has a big effect on those with no choice but to pay water charges and who have been paying them for years in country areas as they pay for their water and would have their taxes increased again.
    Why I run my own business hardly going to fire myself? I've been inside for the non payment of the licence fee before (in and out in around two hours). Do you really think we have the capacity to send literally hundreds of thousands of people who are right in their beliefs to prison?

What if they make it a compulsory deduction from your salary?

Tax was cut in the budget and an awful lot of people will take more money home next year than this year even after water charges.

This fact is completely and totally lost on the protesters. reverse everything (cancel water charges and increase the taxes again) and I'm worse off at the end of the month. It also has a big effect on those with no choice but to pay water charges and who have been paying them for years in country areas as they pay for their water and would have their taxes increased again.

Complete crap, Tax was cut to the tune of the Water Charges, The Water Charges that have an allowance built in. What happens once the allowance is cut off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I think most of the protestors are being mis-judged.
    It's not that they don't want to pay their taxes and charges like the rest of society.
    Not at all, they are more than happy to contribute to the running of society it's just the (insert one or more of the points below).
    • PPS number thing
    • The gym at IW offices
    • The possible future privatisation of IW
    • The fact that Denis O'Brien's company is involved with meter installation.
    • The fact that water is a 'human right'
    • The amount of rainfall we get.
    • Because they're all a shower of [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL]

Complete crap, Tax was cut to the tune of the Water Charges, The Water Charges that have an allowance built in. What happens once the allowance is cut off ?

The single person water charge is currently 176 euro a year, the tax cuts are worth more than double that to me.

What if they make it a compulsory deduction from your salary?

How can they it's nothing to do with revenue? If they change things and make that call they will be chucked out of office faster than you can say FF.

The battle is lost on IW for this government it just a matter of how can they get out now and save face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I realise that there is a budget deficit. Taxes and charges has to be raised.

But I read something that we weren't even paying the interest on the bank bailout loan.

I'm no mathematician, but introducing a water charge won't cover this bank debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

What happens once the allowance is cut off ?
    Then instead of the government collecting XXX in tax from you and giving it back to you as a water allowance worth, yes XXX, you just pay for water yourself.

Next question. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The single person water charge is currently 176 euro a year, the tax cuts are worth more than double that to me.

The tax cuts worked out at about an extra €8 per week for most people.

So let's say €40 per month, BEFORE water charges and the other increased costs people will face as a result of this government's "wait n see" attitude

- Rent increases
    - Increased commuting costs (public or private transport) as people are pushed further out thanks to a complete failure to deal with the housing crisis
    - Increased property taxes
    - Of course we're still paying the "temporary" USC too

.. to name but a few!

€8 a week.. Whoopedoo! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

I realise that there is a budget deficit. Taxes and charges has to be raised.

But I read something that we weren't even paying the interest on the bank bailout loan.

I'm no mathematician, but introducing a water charge won't cover this bank debt.

Interest on the bank debt is about 1.6 billion. But that's kinda dwarfs the total interest on our loans of 8 billion. And no, water charges alone (indirectly) won't cover that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

How can they it's nothing to do with revenue? If they change things and make that call they will be chucked out of office faster than you can say FF.

Very easy to change the collection responsibility over to revenue as was done with the HHC and Property Tax.

Most tax-compliant members of society are very supportive of measures which stop freeloaders and bludgers from trying to parasite off the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Very easy to change the collection responsibility over to revenue as was done with the HHC and Property Tax.

But IW charges are not a tax remember?
    Most tax-compliant members of society are very supportive of measures which stop freeloaders and bludgers from trying to parasite off the rest of us.

You realise that these are proportionally a very small number in reality and that this "us vs them" nonsense is exactly why this country is as mismanaged as it is, right?

I'm not saying these people don't need to be tackled but it's not quite the epidemic it's spun as in order to play one side off against the other.

Address the rest of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

If that were to happen I'd fail to see the purpose of IW (other than getting debt off the government books). You may as well just call it a water charge and it will be like the property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Only problem is that hundreds of thousands of people aren't dumb enough to let themselves get to the point where they risk being jailed for the sake of a few hundred euro per year. There are some that are foolish enough to go to jail over such charges but certainly not hundreds of thousands of people.

Many will claim that they will be jailed before paying a cent for water, however this is merely hot air and will disappear as soon as pressure is applied.

You just need to have a look at the HHC I imagine that if you were to go back through the threads on that here on this site you would see many claiming that hundreds of thousands of people would go to jail before paying it and the compliance numbers for that suggest a completely different outcome.

Only problem is that hundreds of thousands of people aren't dumb enough to let themselves get to the point where they risk being jailed for the sake of a few hundred euro per year. There are some that are foolish enough to go to jail over such charges but certainly not hundreds of thousands of people.

Many will claim that they will be jailed before paying a cent for water, however this is merely hot air and will disappear as soon as pressure is applied.

You just need to have a look at the HHC I imagine that if you were to go back through the threads on that here on this site you would see many claiming that hundreds of thousands of people would go to jail before paying it and the compliance numbers for that suggest a completely different outcome.

It wont get to that stage, read the papers. its all falling apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

IW is a utility. HHC/Property tax is different. Do people go to jail for non-payment of their ESB bill (I actually don't know. They could)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement