Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

No, it implies that there is a Garda out there tonight who probably doesn't wish to have a link posted on an anonymous messaging boards, Prob the most popular in the country, that his his face, gda number, and all kinds (i only read a few) of unfounded allegations made about him.

Why the flip am I to be held accountable for the actions of others? People are permitted to take pictures of Gardaí in the course of their duties. It's up to them to use them, and if they threaten the safety of a member of AGS, it should be highlighted - especially to those on here who condone such actions because vive la revolucion.

You also asked me for a source, I gave you one. You're now deflecting.

But way to go with completely misreading 'my view' on it chief.

I interpreted you view from your posts on here which are as clear as day. Again, deflecting. Deflecting from the fact that you were caught with evidence of purile behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donvito99 wrote: »
    But they're not who he's wishing it on you see, he's wishing cancer - lol - upon people threatening death and other things on other people as well as his colleagues in the Gardaí, and justifying this because AGS have apparently "lost legitmacy" in the eyes of a few hot headed anarchists who'd apply the same to a cow if it looked at them sideways.

It was a complete over-reaction and meltdown.
    It didn't apply to Boards posters and should have been posted on Facebook (if at all).
    The poster might not be feeling very well and may be in a better frame of mind tomorrow. I hope he is because he is usually a very good poster with a lot to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Had a robbery in the house a few months back and the Garda were extremely helpful and gave some excellent advice. No need for people to turn on the Gardai. They've had some cuts over the years aswell. Calm heads all round needed. Hope it doesn't become widespread.

Most Gardai are decent. Always the few bad eggs in every group. Wishing cancer on people is as low as you can get imo. A horrific disease and I've lost plenty of friends and family to it.

Like I said already I don't believe said poster is in any way a reflection on the vast majority of Gardaí in this state.

Lost family to the disease also (one is fighting a losing battle against it right now) so find the comments and refusal to withdraw and apologise very sinister indeed.

wprathead wrote: »
    I don't think that is fair tbh

What's terrible is that THIS IS the face of the protests. The marches across the country been overshadowed week in week out by fools who think they're doing their cause a service by harassing workers and Gardaí and picking fights, under the deluded impressing that this is somehow noble.

Of those protests they are.[/QUOTE]

Many of us have already condemned those sort of protests because we do not agree with stopping people working and with violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 posta

So let me get this right;
    There was a protest at an event that the head of state was attending and he when entering and leaving had a group of people who were told to stay behind barriers for their own and the safety of others. They didnt, they blocked the road and in an effore to protect the head of our government -whether you like him or not, thats what he is and deserves protection - gardai cleared the roadway. If you got in the way I assume you were moved. Tough ****!!

Then others went to the station they were detained 'demanded their release'. Yeah sure no problem just cause you said so.

These men and women went into work. Protesters have broken the law and they were dealt with, in no way d they deserve to have their personal cars targeted and broken up by thugs throwing rocks at them, I can understand why they are angry. Most of these peaceful protests are far from that but the protesters videos never show the lead up to the bit thats on youtube.

I took my child for a walk with my mother today and there were meters being installed in the templeogue area. not a single protester to be seen

What's terrible is that THIS IS the face of the protests. The marches across the country been overshadowed week in week out by fools who think they're doing their cause a service by harassing workers and Gardaí and picking fights, under the deluded impressing that this is somehow noble.

Been at a few protests myself and haven't seen one fight just citizens of the state standing up for their beliefs.

Like I said already I don't believe said poster is in any way a reflection on the vast majority of Gardaí in this state.

Your views now are not consistent with these posts earlier:
    they are the scum
    Disgusting from a thuggish police force.

Care to explain your about face?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't know why, but i keep posting. First off, let me apologise for the comment. It was said in a heated moment, and i shouldn't have said it. So i'm sorry. I'm not even going to try and explain why it was said, because that would take a book. I obviously didn't actually mean it, and i'm not backtracking, i'm apologising. Now....
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Dramatic much. Go back and read what I actually posted and then come back...

Now that you've done that...

- did I claim ye all do it? No
    - do you deny that these things happen? No, but it's only a minute number, not the entire force, that are involved[/b[
    - do you accept that these actions paint the force in a negative light because of the "close ranks and ignore" appoach that's generally taken? Yes, but similarly do you accept that people are branding the entire force in the same light unnecessarily? The closed ranks approach is not something members of AGS want, they want their side told, but are muted

And the way you're carrying on here tonight is hardly a credit to you or the force you're (badly!) attempting to defend

It was a moment of idiocy, everyone has them. But if a single comment is taken as an organisational statement, well, that also speaks for itself. Ok,
    it's not you directly saying these things, but there's so many anti-Garda people on here, it's hard to keep tabs between all the different threads that are Garda bashing.
    Ooooh kaaaaay. Sure you are.

Proves my point. Doesn't matter what someone says, if people have an opinion, they're very unlikely to change it.
    Think you should have stepped away from the forum a couple of hours ago tbh. A family member of mine is in the Gardaí so thankfully I know the vast majority don't think like you and for that we all can be thankful.

Yes, i should have, but people don't realise that members of AGS are extremely frustrated to not have a voice, to not give their side of the story, even anonymously on forums and social media. They're all painted with the same brush, all blamed for the actions of a small few. They want to explain themselves, they want to tell people how matters are dealt with internally, but for security and data protection reasons, they cannot.
    I actually think you are over-reacting to the posters on here. I really haven't seen any posts wishing anything bad to the members of the garda on Boards.
    At a guess i'd be thinking that you support FG and are peeved that they have messed things up with IW.
    If there are posts that are against the rules of Boards you should report them and let the Mods deal with them. This sort of banter has been going on for years here with the HHC, LPT and now Water so there is no need to over-react.

Yes, i did. Because i'm frustrated. I don't support any political party, they're all the same. Even the ones with good intentions starting out end up sucked into the boys club, and those who stay outside are never going to get anywhere. AGS have a huge fear that Sinn Fein are going to get into power, because historically, the first thing they do is attack the spending in AGS, and give serious cuts, cuts members cannot afford. There are very few members of Garda rank living this high life that everyone thinks they live. Quite a lot of them are in serious financial debt, something in itself which causes concern because it's against some code to be in financial debt.

But, ye are right, i did over react, i did say something i shouldn't have, and honestly didn't mean. I could go back and delete it, but at this stage what's the point? It would only appear that i was trying to hide it. Instead, i smoked a cigarette, took a few breaths and realised my mistake. You (that's a general you, not specific to any quote above) can take that as it is, or you can continue to believe that a single comment i've made in my however many years on boards is indicative of how i do my job. Everyone makes mistakes, it's the ability to identify it, try to make up for it, and carry on as normal that counts.

And i know whatever i've posted here, as an anonymous person and not as a member of An Garda Síochána, is not something the public would like to hear a Garda say. And if i was one, which i'm neither confirming nor denying (not that it isn't blatantly obvious at this stage), even well thought out and considered replies can get me in trouble. If that particular does, well them i'm willing to accept whatever may come. I'd just ask ye to think, how frustrating would it be to try and explain situations without breaking the Data Protection Act, the Health and Safety Act, the Garda Guide and the Garda Code. It's not easy, and was i a member, could be a reason why frustration could lead to making an idiotic comment with no real meaning, but still has the negative effect they didn't wish.

Been at a few protests myself and haven't seen one fight just citizens of the state standing up for their beliefs.

I'll direct you to the now notorious video in this thread. Also, I'm referring to this very popular organisation stealing the limelight from all others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Longstand14

Yeah, i did, and i have, and it would be too good for some of these people. Do you take everything you read on an internet forum to heart?

No, on here i'm an anonymous citizen of Ireland. These are the comments of a person, not a Garda. I'm not allowed identify myself as one on the internet. Gardaí are muted, they cannot stand up for themselves, and the Government doesn't stand up for them either. And let them work out who i am, i've gone beyond the point of caring anymore, because regardless of what happens, i'm on my own anyway.

I'm disillusioned with this country and it's actions, blaming an innocent organisation for Government decisions in this very particular debate. Yes, there are bad people in the job, there are bad people in every job, but just because i had a bad experience with a plumber, and because there's a whole host of bad plumbing examples out there, doesn't mean that i think all plumbers are incompetent and useless. The same should apply to AGS, but it doesn't. People want something to blame, and AGS are an easy target.

I'm leaving this now, because it's just not worth it. I hope that those who are so anti-Garda never need them, because these mobs are doing nothing for the force, they are negatively affecting those trying to do an honest job. I could guarantee that a very high number would quit if they could financially afford it. Country will be well and truly ****ed if that happens, because the military would be brought in, and they won't take half the ****e that AGS do.

Your analogy on comparing Guards to Plumbers is a bit ridiculous, you are there to serve and protect.

Yes the protests can be stressful but there not the reason why you are disillusioned with your job - this lies with the cuts to your salary, working conditions etc.

Fair play for the apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Why the flip am I to be held accountable for the actions of others? People are permitted to take pictures of Gardaí in the course of their duties. It's up to them to use them, and if they threaten the safety of a member of AGS, it should be highlighted - especially to those on here who condone such actions because vive la revolucion.

You also asked me for a source, I gave you one. You're now deflecting.

Bollox tbh.

Alicat made a claim that people are offering money in exchange for some members of the Gardaí names and addresses.

You posted a Facebook page where someone asked if anyone knew the gards name.

Jesus, it's hardly Al-Qaeda/MI5 stuff, which was implied.

You didnt give a source.

So it's hearsay. Suck it up.

I interpreted you view from your posts on here which are as clear as day . Again, deflecting. Deflecting from the fact that you were caught with evidence of purile behaviour.

Would you care to elaborate on that :confused:

Yes the protests can be stressful but there not the reason why you are disillusioned with your job - this lies with the cuts to your salary, working conditions etc.

How is it exactly that YOU know where HIS disillusionment lies? If I was a guard in a district with a permanent protest and I had to deal with the same gob****es every day I would most likely disillusioned. This AND the reasons you've put forward paint a very pretty picture indeed for Gardaí in this country.

Your views now are not consistent with these posts earlier:

Care to explain your about face?

Those actions where thuggish. What's your point? What about face?

Afraid you have identified yourself in a number of posts (Profile description & Area you serve) so you have compromised yourself. Your analogy on comparing Guards to Plumbers is a bit ridiculous, you are there to serve and protect.

No need for that. The poster apologised.

Bollox tbh.

Alicat made a claim that people are offering money in exchange for some members of the Gardaí names and addresses.

Last I checked I'm not another poster and do not have duplicate accounts.
    Jesus, it's hardly Al-Qaeda/MI5 stuff, which was implied.

Who implied that? They sought out addresses. Nice to see you belittling this by the way.
    You didnt give a source.

So it's hearsay. Suck it up.

That's the exact nature of the threat that I alleged, I provided a source identical to the allegation, but that's just hearsay. Of course.

Lost family to the disease also (one is fighting a losing battle against it right now) so find the comments and refusal to withdraw and apologise very sinister indeed.

I'm sorry to hear that, and i'm apologising to you directly for the comment. I'm sorry, i know the effects of it, it's happened to my family too, and it was extremely insensitive of me.
    Afraid you have identified yourself in a number of posts (Profile description & Area you serve) so you have compromised yourself. Your analogy on comparing Guards to Plumbers is a bit ridiculous, you are there to serve and protect.

Probably, but i still cannot confirm it.

They could be the straw that breaks the camels back. There are many reasons, most of which the still serving members have put up with (keeping in mind the mass retirements of the last few years). These protests are having a serious effect on members. Members are now scared to go to work, scared of the next call and what it may bring because of the momentum these protests are bringing. They do a job, they get paid relatively well but like a lot of people have massive loans and mortgages, and quite a lot of them are financially in trouble. The last thing they need is for their private property, their safety and their families safety to be put in danger.

Those actions where thuggish. What's your point? What about face?

This is what I was looking for, I've a good idea of the person I'm dealing with here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

I don't know why, but i keep posting. First off, let me apologise for the comment. It was said in a heated moment, and i shouldn't have said it. So i'm sorry. I'm not even going to try and explain why it was said, because that would take a book. I obviously didn't actually mean it, and i'm not backtracking, i'm apologising. Now....

It was a moment of idiocy, everyone has them. But if a single comment is taken as an organisational statement, well, that also speaks for itself. Ok,
    it's not you directly saying these things, but there's so many anti-Garda people on here, it's hard to keep tabs between all the different threads that are Garda bashing.

Proves my point. Doesn't matter what someone says, if people have an opinion, they're very unlikely to change it.

Yes, i should have, but people don't realise that members of AGS are extremely frustrated to not have a voice, to not give their side of the story, even anonymously on forums and social media. They're all painted with the same brush, all blamed for the actions of a small few. They want to explain themselves, they want to tell people how matters are dealt with internally, but for security and data protection reasons, they cannot.

Yes, i did. Because i'm frustrated. I don't support any political party, they're all the same. Even the ones with good intentions starting out end up sucked into the boys club, and those who stay outside are never going to get anywhere. AGS have a huge fear that Sinn Fein are going to get into power, because historically, the first thing they do is attack the spending in AGS, and give serious cuts, cuts members cannot afford. There are very few members of Garda rank living this high life that everyone thinks they live. Quite a lot of them are in serious financial debt, something in itself which causes concern because it's against some code to be in financial debt.

But, ye are right, i did over react, i did say something i shouldn't have, and honestly didn't mean. I could go back and delete it, but at this stage what's the point? It would only appear that i was trying to hide it. Instead, i smoked a cigarette, took a few breaths and realised my mistake. You (that's a general you, not specific to any quote above) can take that as it is, or you can continue to believe that a single comment i've made in my however many years on boards is indicative of how i do my job. Everyone makes mistakes, it's the ability to identify it, try to make up for it, and carry on as normal that counts.

And i know whatever i've posted here, as an anonymous person and not as a member of An Garda Síochána, is not something the public would like to hear a Garda say. And if i was one, which i'm neither confirming nor denying (not that it isn't blatantly obvious at this stage), even well thought out and considered replies can get me in trouble. If that particular does, well them i'm willing to accept whatever may come. I'd just ask ye to think, how frustrating would it be to try and explain situations without breaking the Data Protection Act, the Health and Safety Act, the Garda Guide and the Garda Code. It's not easy, and was i a member, could be a reason why frustration could lead to making an idiotic comment with no real meaning, but still has the negative effect they didn't wish.

I know a few Gardai myself, one very well, and I was speaking to him last week.
    He seems more annoyed at having being put in a position between the people he joined to serve and the state which employs him.
    Have you any thoughts along that line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

These protests are having a serious effect on members. Members are now scared to go to work, scared of the next call and what it may bring because of the momentum these protests are bringing. They do a job, they get paid relatively well but like a lot of people have massive loans and mortgages, and quite a lot of them are financially in trouble. The last thing they need is for their private property, their safety and their families safety to be put in danger.

That's their problem for their financial problems, over extending themselves on mortgages.

But aren't the Gardai getting overtime for all these protests? If the policing is so stressful, try the blue flu ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Longstand14

How is it exactly that YOU know where HIS disillusionment lies? If I was a guard in a district with a permanent protest and I had to deal with the same gob****es every day I would most likely disillusioned. This AND the reasons you've put forward paint a very pretty picture indeed for Gardaí in this country.

Do you mean to tell me that Guards are becoming disillusioned with their jobs over the water protests?? Something at which they are highly trained for to deal with.

In fairness its hardly the 'London Riots' out there on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

This is what I was looking for, I've a good idea of the person I'm dealing with here now.

Enda Kenny ????

Would you care to elaborate on that :confused:

You said I missed your point or something like that. If you'd like to be better understood, perhaps we should meet for lunch or discuss this via telephone? This is boards, d'you know? If your going to get uppity and rely on the you just don't understand line of argument I'll just go to bed.

Do you mean to tell me that Guards are becoming disillusioned with their jobs over the water protests?? Something at which they are highly trained for to deal with.

In fairness its hardly the 'London Riots' out there on a daily basis.

they're only human, and I'd hardly describe linking arms as adequate public order training. The Gardaí have behaved in an exemplary sort of way when they're confronted by shouty people with cameras, with a few noticeable exceptions that I've not seen before in similar demonstrations like ShelltoSea. It's understandable that it would bother them when they get home.

I know a few Gardai myself, one very well, and I was speaking to him last week.
    He seems more annoyed at having being put in a position between the people he joined to serve and the state which employs him.
    Have you any thoughts along that line?

Yes, i completely agree with him. Gardaí are there to uphold the law. The scandals and whistleblowing issues aside, most try to do that to the best of their abilities. But your friend is spot on. On the one side, we have the employees of Irish Water just trying to make a living and installing the meters as their contract obliges them to do. On the other, you have people who are rightly annoyed with it and can't afford any more bills, cuts or taxes, and do not want the meters installed. Then, in the middle, you have the Gardaí, who are there to protect both sides, but also get hassle from both sides. The saying "damned if you do, damned if you don't" comes to mind.

Members are being sent to these protests with no instructions, no clear courses of action, and no comments from management to the public to express their concerns over it. All along, up until the real momentum that the Anti Irish Water crowd were getting, it was easy enough; prevent breaches of the peace, and that was possible because the protesters were peaceful. But now things are taking a turn for the worse, certain crowds are getting nasty and attacking Gardaí, attacking Irish Water installers, damaging property, and this latest one of preventing Emergency Vehicles from leaving Garda stations to respond to a potentially life threatening situation. And still, no back up, no comments.

moxin wrote: »
    But aren't the Gardai getting overtime for all these protests? If the policing is so stressful, try the blue flu ;)

That's sweet. The idea of overtime was done away with - in AGS in particular - a few years ago in the public service.

Stargate wrote: »
    Enda Kenny ????

No. A romantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You said I missed your point or something like that. If you'd like to be better understood, perhaps we should meet for lunch or discuss this via telephone? This is boards, d'you know? If your going to get uppity and rely on the you just don't understand line of argument I'll just go to bed.

I was asking you to elaborate on what you meant by this.
    I interpreted you view from your posts on here which are as clear as day. Again, deflecting. Deflecting from the fact that you were caught with evidence of purile behaviour.

What did you interpret from my clear as day posts? Pray tell?

Are you insinuating I have advocated violence towards the gards or what's with the throw away insinuations :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes, i completely agree with him. Gardaí are there to uphold the law. The scandals and whistleblowing issues aside, most try to do that to the best of their abilities. But your friend is spot on. On the one side, we have the employees of Irish Water just trying to make a living and installing the meters as their contract obliges them to do. On the other, you have people who are rightly annoyed with it and can't afford any more bills, cuts or taxes, and do not want the meters installed. Then, in the middle, you have the Gardaí, who are there to protect both sides, but also get hassle from both sides. The saying "damned if you do, damned if you don't" comes to mind.

Members are being sent to these protests with no instructions, no clear courses of action, and no comments from management to the public to express their concerns over it. All along, up until the real momentum that the Anti Irish Water crowd were getting, it was easy enough; prevent breaches of the peace, and that was possible because the protesters were peaceful. But now things are taking a turn for the worse, certain crowds are getting nasty and attacking Gardaí, attacking Irish Water installers, damaging property, and this latest one of preventing Emergency Vehicles from leaving Garda stations to respond to a potentially life threatening situation. And still, no back up, no comments.

That is not a nice position to be put in at all in fairness.
    It all boils down to bad leadership in the Govt, IW and the Garda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement