Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Farty88 wrote: »
    I don't understand why we are going to pay water charges. Firstly the water isn't suitable for human consumption

Not suitable for human consumption? Aren't humans consuming it now, are they all dying as a result of drinking this water that is not fit for human consumption?
    secondly our p.p.s number is all a scam to check your bank accounts.

What the hell? Are you actually serious, a scam to check your bank account??!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA wow things just get sillier and sillier in here.

Thirdly people are streched enough due to other charges the government is thrown at us (The budget should be Fun).

Other charges and the fact they spend fortunes on non-essential items that they think are more essential than water.

I could go on all night but I couldn't be bothered.all I'm gonna say is our government is a joke our made up charges are a joke lately of all our country is a joke. Europe is laughing at us and nobody is even bothered fighting back Irish freedom my **** no freedom here anymore we're all like caged rat's and getting more and more screwed every year

Oh please do, I could do with more of a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The 'specific circumstances' being if they buy or sell any assets from or to another business.
    Yes, of course. Since such a transfer may require the sharing of customer data, e.g. if transferring customer service operations to another company.
    My Pps number isn't an asset.
    I don't know why you think it is. Where in the data protection policy does it say that your PPSN is an asset?
    Revenue dont ask permission to treat your personal data as an asset, why do Irish Water?
    They don't.
    What taxes have reduced inline with these charges? None? Will I get a rebate based on what I pay directly For? If not, I've paid twice.
    Complete nonsense and you know it. I'm not going to go into the whole "we're borrowing to pay for water at present" spiel because you're more intelligent than that. I don't think you believe the "paying twice" fallacy for a second.
    Looks like they didn't have permission and are now back-pedalling. (It's time the data Commissioner spoke out on this one way or the other.)
    Shows they are busy trying to scare people into handing over their details.
    Trying to scare people? How did the removed paragraph in question contribute to this "scaring" agenda?

Let's look at another privatisation instead. Anyone here buy shares in Telecom Eireann (now called Eircom)?

Since its privatisation, various asset stripping and reselling of the company has left our broadband and telephone line network one of the most underinvested in Europe.
    And, having learned from that complete shambles, we then did a proper separation from the state with ESB and Bord Gais.

I really don't get the blanket Ian-Paisley-like opposition to privatisation. It's possible to do privatisation really well and really badly, just like it's possible to do public utilities really well and really badly. Thus far, the public water supply has been a complete shambles management-wise. We'd in fact have little to lose through proper privatisation and liberalisation, though we need to get IW stabilised first.

I also find the sore arses about eircom shares funny though. It was 15 years ago. Nobody forced anybody to buy those shares, they got burned, they need to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Good ole Phil, he promised us free leak fixes for a year after Irish water start billing, well thats out the window already.

"To help households control consumption, the Government will fund a scheme providing a free first fix of leaks" He wrote this just 3 short months ago.

http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/local-news/reforming-ireland-s-water-minister-phil-hogan-writes-for-the-leinster-express-1-6131677

I have a leak of 1000's of liters a day and this is the response I got from Irish water. (Im a tenant but responsible for what goes thru the meter)

"Thank you for your email regarding a potential leak.

The owner/occupier is responsible for the maintenance for any water pipe work up to 225mm from the boundary of their property. Irish Water are responsible for the maintenance for any water pipe work beyond this point. If the leak is on your private property, it would be your responsibility to get it fixed."

Wow now they will cover a full 8 inches from the property!

Thanks Phil, enjoy that great EU job and 2 fat pensions you will get, your the best!

The "first fix free" is still going to happen - it won't kick in till charging begins. IW can't say they will fix for free until regulator agrees charges etc. It will happen. I have seen documents that say that only large leaks will qualify - a figure of 8000l a day was mentioned. There will be a time limit to get repair done for free - 6 months after meter installation probably .

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

How are our PPS numbers going to be used by Irish Water to check our bank accounts and to what end?

Because our PPS numbers will be sent to Europe to be stored (yeah right more like spied on) the government have the power to do what they want.they can look into seen what you are been paid what savings you have all your account history isn't that not something we should be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

The way I see the PPS number working is in the way that Tax relief at source ( TRS ) works with mortgages.

with TRS the people holding the mortgage filled out a form and sent it to revenue with their mortgage account number, based on this and the PPS number on the form the revenue advised the mortgage company what TRS they were entitled to.

for the water, I think they are working it the following way
    1 to stop duplicate requests for allowances.
    2 they will send the pps number to revenue and revenue will respond with
    * valid child pps
    * valid adult pps
    * invalid pps

I dont see revenue giving any other information to Irish Water.
    Without further information, Irish water will only know what pps is a child and what pps is an adult.

I can see Revenue using the information they receive from Irish Water, to cross check against their databases, for the likes of child allowances, living allowances, single living allowances and more.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

Because our PPS numbers will be sent to Europe to be stored (yeah right more like spied on) the government have the power to do what they want.they can look into seen what you are been paid what savings you have all your account history isn't that not something we should be worried about.

Keep the tinfoil hat on and you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

rameire wrote: »
    The way I see the PPS number working is in the way that Tax relief at source ( TRS ) works with mortgages.

with TRS the people holding the mortgage filled out a form and sent it to revenue with their mortgage account number, based on this and the PPS number on the form the revenue advised the mortgage company what TRS they were entitled to.

for the water, I think they are working it the following way
    1 to stop duplicate requests for allowances.
    2 they will send the pps number to revenue and revenue will respond with
    * valid child pps
    * valid adult pps
    * invalid pps

I dont see revenue giving any other information to Irish Water.
    Without further information, Irish water will only know what pps is a child and what pps is an adult.

I can see Revenue using the information they receive from Irish Water, to cross check against their databases, for the likes of child allowances, living allowances, single living allowances and more.

I think it's more the department of social protection than revenue which will be doing this, but yes that's the idea.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Not suitable for human consumption? Aren't humans consuming it now, are they all dying as a result of drinking this water that is not fit for human consumption?

What the hell? Are you actually serious, a scam to check your bank account??!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA wow things just get sillier and sillier in here.

Other charges and the fact they spend fortunes on non-essential items that they think are more essential than water.

Oh please do, I could do with more of a laugh.

Believe what you may. but the water we are drinking from the tap that is full of fluoride which causes cancer.we are the only country in Europe that has this in our water while other countries in Europe have banned this.you might be so clever to pick out certain paragraphs to make fun of.and make such a sneer towards my comments and others.to me you're blind and ignorant to what's really happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I hate to break it to you but the Irish Revenue already know what you are paid and what deposit interst (if any) you have. I'm unsure as to what you are getting at here and what it has to do with Irish Waters requirement for PPS numbers.

Believe what you may. but the water we are drinking from the tap that is full of fluoride which causes cancer.we are the only country in Europe that has this in our water while other countries in Europe have banned this.you might be so clever to pick out certain paragraphs to make fun of.and make such a sneer towards my comments and others.to me you're blind and ignorant to what's really happening.

Right ok then!!!! I assume you don't consume or use the water then? And if that assumption is correct I don't see what issues you could possibly have with IW requesting PPS numbers from those that do use the water.

• Advertisement

geeksauce wrote: »
    Keep the tinfoil hat on and you will be grand.

Atleast the tinfoil hat is keeping me from been brainwashed unlike you thinking the country is grand just the way it is typical Irish person sure it will all be grand we'll just lay over and take been screwed!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

That's guessing. I want to pay for my actual usage not an estimate, i harvest rain water. I have 4x 1000 litre tanks I use for about half of my consumption. This will not be reflected in a bill based upon my neighbours usage, that's wrong

I am very impressed by this Ghost Buster and am trying to do the same in my own home. Would you look in on the Survivalism and Self Sufficiency section of boards next time you're on? Would love to know how you set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Atleast the tinfoil hat is keeping me from been brainwashed unlike you thinking the country is grand just the way it is typical Irish person sure it will all be grand we'll just lay over and take been screwed!!!!!

You do know that Revenue already have all that info? Thats how they deduct the LPT directly from the pay packages of people who wont pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You know they wouldn't need your PPS number for this right?

CT forums >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

VinLieger wrote: »
    You do know that Revenue already have all that info? Thats how they deduct the LPT directly from the pay packages of people who wont pay it

It's one thing to say Revenue have the info - but if as we already discussed you refuse to fill in the form, that means Irish Water won't be able to know where you are, so a court summons is made more difficult.

If they can't disconnect the supply to a dwelling as is the case, then I don't see any reason to fill in the form or pay them a penny. I simply don't have the money to spare, even an extra 20 Euro a month is a burden.

fluoride which causes cancer.
    Id like to see the reports that prove this claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Believe what you may. but the water we are drinking from the tap that is full of fluoride which causes cancer.we are the only country in Europe that has this in our water while other countries in Europe have banned this.

Its full of dihydrogen monoxide as well, an often lethal substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think your precious bodily fluids might already have been compromised.

You have a greater risk of death from extreme sandal chafing as you walk to the shop to get your organic distilled water, than you do of developing bone cancer from drinking fouridated water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

0.6-0.8 parts per million would hardly qualify as full of fluoride unless you're a believer of homeopathy…

Also Public Health England has been urging councils in England to add fluoride to their water supplies after completing a review of the benefits of fluoride but due to the controversy around fluoride that's highly unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

If you have an issue with the water meter don;t do what this guy did.
    A MAN IN his 20s was arrested yesterday after he pulled an imitation gun on an Irish Water employee.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gun-threat-irish-water-worker-1687208-Sep2014/

What an idiot. Using imitation firearms in this manner is generally treated the same as if it is a regular firearm in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: This is not the conspiracy theories forum, so stick to the topic and not what you think fluoride does or plots to send personal info to Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How is the pay in full in January model going to work if someone is renting an apartment? I plan to move out of where I rent next August, so paying in full in January would have me paying for nearly half a years water I wont be there to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

How is the pay in full in January model going to work if someone is renting an apartment? I plan to move out of where I rent next August, so paying in full in January would have me paying for nearly half a years water I wont be there to use?

Bills will be quarterly in arrears. Where did you see otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

We're on a group water scheme and have our own septic tank system- since we will not be customers of Irish water am i correct in thinking we are not obliged to give them any personal info??

barney 20v wrote: »
    We're on a group water scheme and have our own septic tank system- since we will not be customers of Irish water am i correct in thinking we are not obliged to give them any personal info??

Correct.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can they cut off my water if I don't pay? I don't mean can they legally do it, I mean can they physically do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

DeVore wrote: »
    Can they cut off my water if I don't pay? I don't mean can they legally do it, I mean can they physically do it?

They can cut it down to a trickle, They can't cut you off totally as this would be illegal.

Waits for the whole circle to start all over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I would assume you cancel your account and they charge you up to that point as with any other utility. Not sure what would happen if you move out between Oct and Jan though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ogham wrote: »
    Bills will be quarterly in arrears. Where did you see otherwise?

O grand. Mentioned earlier in the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement