Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KennyMac1979

I advocate that we all sh*t and p*ss in a bucket and fire it out on the road like they did in the olden days. A national dirty protest.The IW Sh*tbucket Challenge. They cannot put every Irish household in prison. Who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: I've already warned to not go into the fluoride debate here. I've deleted some posts and infractions will be handed out next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

DeVore wrote: »
    Can they cut off my water if I don't pay? I don't mean can they legally do it, I mean can they physically do it?

It depends if you're metered or unmetered. Even then they are only allowed to reduce the pressure. There has been some speculation as to how iw will actually do this on an unmetered house or apt though.

The bigger picture though, as bills aren't due until the new year, would the government be willing to go so far as to pursue a court case, or reduce a family homes water supply, with a general election due (prob around the same time as the court cases) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

They haven't exactly been snappy with house repossessions so I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

It depends if you're metered or unmetered. Even then they are only allowed to reduce the pressure. There has been some speculation as to how iw will actually do this on an unmetered house or apt though.

The bigger picture though, as bills aren't due until the new year, would the government be willing to go so far as to pursue a court case, or reduce a family homes water supply, with a general election due (prob around the same time as the court cases) .

I imagine the Government could hide behind the fact that Irish Water are the ones pursuing people for arrears in relation to water and it is the company that are taking the steps to get the money owed, be it through court proceedings or restriction of supplies.

Wont be too hard for the Government to distance themselves from it, an easy solution is to ask those paying for water if they are happy to subsidise those that are refusing to pay for water. I am guessing a very high percentage of the population that are paying for water would be unhappy to subsidise their neighbours usage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

geeksauce wrote: »
    I imagine the Government could hide behind the fact that Irish Water are the ones pursuing people for arrears in relation to water and it is the company that are taking the steps to get the money owed, be it through court proceedings or restriction of supplies.

I imagine they'll find that quite difficult tbh.
    Wont be too hard for the Government to distance themselves from it, an easy solution is to ask those paying for water if they are happy to subsidise those that are refusing to pay for water. I am guessing a very high percentage of the population that are paying for water would be unhappy to subsidise their neighbours usage.

It'll be fun come Jan so.

I imagine they'll find that quite difficult tbh.

It'll be fun come Jan so.

How would it be difficult? Person A moans that IW are threatening to restrict their supply because they haven't paid their bill and are blaming the Government. The Government say it is none of their business and that Person A should contact IW to discuss their water account with them. Simple.

Majority of population have no sympathy for Person A as they will see them as leaching off the IW customers that are paying for their water and those that don't pay should have their supply restricted and be dragged through court to collect the arrears outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Could one not possibly just remove the meter and maybe post it back to them with the blank application pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

obezyana wrote: »
    Could one not possibly just remove the meter and maybe post it back to them with the blank application pack?

One could also possibly be done for criminal damage if one does that, Please let one know how one gets on if one does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

When are we due to get the official price per month or quarter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DeVore wrote: »
    Can they cut off my water if I don't pay? I don't mean can they legally do it, I mean can they physically do it?
    If you're on a public supply then there's a stopcock out on the street that they can access to turn off your water. Afaik, being metered or unmetered is irrelevant except in very specific circumstances where the stopcock is not accessible.

As said though, a full cut-off is illegal though, reducing the pressure in the event of being unmetered is simple and manual, but so simple that it's easily reversed.

would the government be willing to go so far as to pursue a court case, or reduce a family homes water supply, with a general election due.
    "The government" won't be involved in any court cases or supply reductions. Irish Water will ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

So to recap:

- You don't have to fill in the form.
    - Your supply can't be disconnected for non payment.
    - If they slow down your supply to a trickle, this is fairly easy to reverse.

Tell me again why we should fill in the application pack?

So to recap:

- You don't have to fill in the form.
    - Your supply can't be disconnected for non payment.
    - If they slow down your supply to a trickle, this is fairly easy to reverse.

Tell me again why we should fill in the application pack?

If they leave the pipe to your house as it is then yes it would be easy to reverse, If the choose to put a restriction valve on the pipe then maybe not so easy.

If they leave the pipe to your house as it is then yes it would be easy to reverse, If the choose to put a restriction valve on the pipe then maybe not so easy.

Thanks Timber,

I'm just wondering how much they can deliver on the threat. The block of flats where I live has a communal supply ; my darling girl says it wouldn't be possible to restrict supply to one apartment without affecting them all. Your guess is as good as mine re: how true this is.

In any case I'd rather pay my 240 to a sympathetic Plumber to come round twice a year to get rid of the valve than to these bastards.

Would be much easier and legal for one to contact IW and instruct them to disconnect them from the public water supply as they do not wish to be billed for water.

Would be much easier and legal for one to contact IW and instruct them to disconnect them from the public water supply as they do not wish to be billed for water.

I don't care what my meter says, I'm not paying them a penny.

One could also possibly be done for criminal damage if one does that, Please let one know how one gets on if one does this.

How can someone be done for criminal damage if the meter is not damaged?

I don't care what my meter says, I'm not paying them a penny.

That to me reads like something a child would say in the midst of a tantrum.

You can ask to be disconnected from the public water supply and then you wont need to pay them a penny, imagine that a simple solution to a simple problem. Don't want to pay for a service, then don't use the service who'd have thought something so simple could solve all your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

seamus wrote: »
    As said though, a full cut-off is illegal though, reducing the pressure in the event of being unmetered is simple and manual, but so simple that it's easily reversed.

For apt blocks I'm not sure it would be that simple? I suspect most apt blocks are unmetered?

Yes i see your point, but all these people getting worked up about it and protesting in small groups is not going to change a thing. If you dont want it why not just take it out and send it back. The guys installing the meters are putting up with bull**** off people when all these guys are doing is turning up for work.

• Advertisement

It will be an offence to tamper with a meter, doesn't have to be damaged.

Yes i see your point, but all these people getting worked up about it and protesting in small groups is not going to change a thing. If you dont want it why not just take it out and send it back. The guys installing the meters are putting up with bull**** off people when all these guys are doing is turning up for work.

Well sending it back could be construed as tampering with the meter which could result in court action against the individual. However asking to be disconnected from the supply would be a more sensible and legal way of ensuring you are not billed for water.

It will be an offence to tamper with a meter, doesn't have to be damaged.

Ill remove it in the dead of night so, sure they cant prosecute people if they cant prove it was them that took it.

Daith wrote: »
    For apt blocks I'm not sure it would be that simple? I suspect most apt blocks are unmetered?

They will be unmetered and will instead be charged a flat fee.

Ill remove it in the dead of night so, sure they can prosecute people if they cant prove it was them that took it.

Yes they can.

How are you sure you won't damage it by removing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

They will be unmetered and will instead be charged a flat fee.

Yes but if they don't pay the fee how would they stop water to that one apt without affecting the rest of the apts?

Daith wrote: »
    Yes but if they don't pay the fee how would they stop water to that one apt without affecting the rest of the apts?

I don't think they will be able to stop water to a specific apartment, they would instead prosecute the person living in the apartment that is not paying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I advocate that we all sh*t and p*ss in a bucket and fire it out on the road like they did in the olden days. A national dirty protest.The IW Sh*tbucket Challenge. They cannot put every Irish household in prison. Who's with me?

:eek:

• Advertisement

Yes they can.

How? I wont bother sending it back ill do a Keith Barry on it and make it disappear and sure they have to have evidence plus any Joe Soap could of robbed my lovely and cherished meter.

They cannot convict if they do not have evidence to back it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement