Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The hysteria is hilarious!

It may well be hilarious to anyone without a sense of empathy for people at the pin of their collar. €400 odd is a days pay to some and it is more than a weeks pay to many more. I was talking to a pensioner and he finds nothing funny about it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Rubbish into the rivers..? Don't know where your living...
    No I won't think of it as paying double waste charge..
    Fake environmentalism.. Not the common man chopping down the worlds forrests. Not the common man dumping toxic chemicals and even nuclear waste in the rivers and seas. Not the common man poisoning the land and our food with toxic chemicals...

You think the fat cats are chopping down the trees and dumping stuff into rivers? It most certainly is the common man, the working man. They may be doing it under orders but they are still the ones doing it and keeping their mouth shut.

So tell me.. Why are we paying for it again..? And all the bollox talk about tax.. If I here any more ill crack up.. It the richest people on the planet not paying their taxes, with their hedge funds and so called charitable foundations (meaning, where they hide their money from the tax man). Also they're the biggest recipients from the banker bailouts, even though they weren't owed a penny, Again. We pay for it...
    Sorry. Someone earning 250.000 a year is not rich..

You're paying for it because it is no longer being paid for out of the main exchequer.
    We live in a country that bloody rains constantly and they can't have resovoirs for catching the bloody stuff..? They do in England..

If all it took to supply a country with water was the building of resevoirs, everyone could make their own. You're simply ignoring the treatment, distribution and waste disposal aspects.
    It's disgusting plane and simple..
    Next we'll be getting charged for breathing air..

Ever try going diving? You know those breathing apartus aren't free don't you. It's not the air they charge you for, it's the handiness of having it in an easily accessible tank that fits on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

My Grandfather got a letter from Irish Water to inform he had a leak when I checked the meter 1444m3 had gone through in the 4 months since it had been installed, that's €6500 worth of water!
    It was down to the Ball Valve's in the toilet & the Heating tank, water flowing away to drain un-noticed

No joke there - but thankfully sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It may well be hilarious to anyone without a sense of empathy for people at the pin of their collar. €400 odd is a days pay to some and it is more than a weeks pay to many more. I was talking to a pensioner and he finds nothing funny about it at all.

What kind of an allowance or discount are they getting? they get one for everything else. My dad is German, gets E90 a week from the German Government as its based on what you pay in (he left there in the 70's) and thats it, other than a medical card. He laughs at the generosity of it over here and great fully accepts, why wouldnt you. But out of any group whinging, the pensioners make me laugh, its an insult to those who have actually been shafted!!!

In relation to the empathy for people at the end of their collar, I couldnt agree more, we would probably disagree on who that is, it certainly isnt the army of pensioners, strategic mothers or other significant amount of wasters here who have never contributed to the system! Go see what they get in Europes powerhouse and one of the worlds biggest economies...
    My Grandfather got a letter from Irish Water to inform he had a leak when I checked the meter 1444m3 had gone through in the 4 months since it had been installed, that's €6500 worth of water!
    It was down to the Ball Valve's in the toilet & the Heating tank, water flowing away to drain un-noticed

This and another similar thread on the accommodation forum is exactly why not metering is madness! who gives a sh*t if you are getting it for free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Old boardie22

You know how rainfall works right? And if things in England work so well (same rainfall as us i would guess) why do they have a hosepipe ban and drought warnings most summers?

Erm... But they still don't charge for it do they..? A country with far higher population that obviously uses more water. Maybe the bans to stop the reserves being used up..???.??? From
    The reservoirs like..? I think so... "You know how rain works right?" That's a good one, no, I thought it magically falls from the sky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Erm... But they still don't charge for it do they..? A country with far higher population that obviously uses more water. Maybe the bans to stop the reserves being used up..???.??? From
    The reservoirs like..? I think so... "You know how rain works right?" That's a good one, no, I thought it magically falls from the sky

Do they not charge for water through the council tax? and their council tax is steep enough.

You think the fat cats are chopping down the trees and dumping stuff into rivers? It most certainly is the common man, the working man. They may be doing it under orders but they are still the ones doing it and keeping their mouth shut.

You're paying for it because it is no longer being paid for out of the main exchequer.

If all it took to supply a country with water was the building of resevoirs, everyone could make their own. You're simply ignoring the treatment, distribution and waste disposal aspects.

Ever try going diving? You know those breathing apartus aren't free don't you. It's not the air they charge you for, it's the handiness of having it in an easily accessible tank that fits on your back.

Hardly comparible now is it..?
    An fun activity vs human need

And correct me if I'm wrong but.. Haven't we already paid for the inferstructure already..? And what about the fact that IW like most water company's are payed by private firms to dump fluoride in our water..? Not the other way around..
    So don't give me some crappy analogy that because when I go diving I have to pay for the privilege, compared to paying for the most basic human right of having water..
    It was always covered. Now suddenly it's not...

obezyana wrote: »
    Do they not charge for water through the council tax? and their council tax is steep enough.

You mean like ours always was..?
    They don't charge seperately do they? With some criminal new "water tax"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

obezyana wrote: »
    You mean like ours always was..?
    They don't charge seperately do they? With some criminal new "water tax"

My relations in England pay water charges seperately to council tax. I think Council tax in scotland covers the water charges, i could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Hardly comparible now is it..?
    An fun activity vs human need

And correct me if I'm wrong but.. Haven't we already paid for the inferstructure already..? And what about the fact that IW like most water company's are payed by private firms to dump fluoride in our water..? Not the other way around..
    So don't give me some crappy analogy that because when I go diving I have to pay for the privilege, compared to paying for the most basic human right of having water..
    It was always covered. Now suddenly it's not...

You don't have to pay for water or air. You can go out into nature and have your fill. If you want it treated and delivered to the door then you gotta pay. Your taxes, and I say that with skeptisism, paid for the existing infrastructure, which is in very bad condition and not suitable for it's purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

You vote for a blueshirt government you get blueshirt policies.

You vote for a blueshirt government you get blueshirt policies.
    what like trying to plug the gap? feel free to vote for one of the other joke parties that will lead us down the path of ruin again! Whos going to pay for everything, the rich is it? The .1% of us, if the number is even that... or is it the rich earning over E32,800 paying 52% income tax?

FG are not perfect, but they are a hell of a lot better than the alternative, had any of the other parties got in, we would be in a far worse position than now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what like trying to plug the gap? feel free to vote for one of the other joke parties that will lead us down the path of ruin again! Whos going to pay for everything, the rich is it? The .1% of us, if the number is even that... or is it the rich earning over E32,800 paying 52% income tax?

FG are not perfect, but they are a hell of a lot better than the alternative, had any of the other parties got in, we would be in a far worse position than now!

wow wwhat a post, how can one say that fg have done better that any oter party, they are not, as labour are as good as them, because fg cannot function without them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

It's one thing to say Revenue have the info - but if as we already discussed you refuse to fill in the form, that means Irish Water won't be able to know where you are, so a court summons is made more difficult. .

This doesn't make sense. Irish Water must have got their info from the Revenue, from this info they know who exactly owns which house. Revenue know your PPS number already, any other govt agency will hand your details over.

Revenue have the power to persuade the banks\welfare\esb\council to tell who lives at such an address if needs be. Only way out is to go on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You stated
    We live in a country that bloody rains constantly and they can't have resovoirs for catching the bloody stuff..? They do in England.. 

As if the water just fills the resevoir and there is no seepage loss or evaporation :rolleyes:

As for them not having to pay for the water

http://www.uswitch.com/water/price-of-water/
    On April 1st, 2014, a 2% increase (roughly £8) was announced, pushing up the average UK's household bill for water and sewerage to £393 per year.

Previously, on the 1st of April 2013, a rise of 3.5% on the average water bill was implemented across the UK. This saw a typical annual bill for water and sewerage rise from £375 in 2012 to £388 in 2013.
    The majority of people are charged a yearly water rate which covers the domestic water supply and associated costs such as maintaining water quality. [/b]A minority of people have a water meter instead, which in some cases may prove a cheaper alternative.[/b]

wow wwhat a post, how can one say that fg have done better that any oter party, they are not, as labour are as good as them, because fg cannot function without them
    Labour wanted to increase taxes and drag the austerity budgets out for another year or two, the effect would have been pretty obvious. Basically the more Labour want it, the worse it will be for the economy... The financial times had an article the on it the other day, Ireland who got its act together v Italy or France etc who try to just bury their head in the sand and stumble on... No pain no gain as they say.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-economy-is-shining-light-for-others-as-growth-surges-financial-times-30605314.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

There'll be various categories of people with waivers from water charges. It'll be interesting to see whether there'll be a cap on the amount of water covered by this waiver. Or will those of us paying have to watch our usage, while those not paying get to use all they like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

zerks wrote: »
    You should see the size of the stand they have at the Ploughing Championships,who's paying for that?

Another waste of money as the vast majority attending have their own wells or are on group water schemes.

You should see the size of the Bord Gais Theatre (Cost over 4 million to name that). ANother state owned utility wasting our money.
    :)

animaal wrote: »
    There'll be various categories of people with waivers from water charges. It'll be interesting to see whether there'll be a cap on the amount of water covered by this waiver. Or will those of us paying have to watch our usage, while those not paying get to use all they like...

No waivers or exemptions at all . If you use water you pay.
    The only bit the govt have done to help anyone is whack on €100 to the household benefits package (free tv licence etc). Plus a cap for people with "high medical water needs" - but it's just capped at the assesed charge for the household size.

See http://www.moneyguideireland.com/water-charges-are-there-any-exemptions.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ogham wrote: »
    You should see the size of the Bord Gais Theatre (Cost over 4 million to name that). ANother state owned utility wasting our money.
    :)

Didn't they acquire it through nama? Wasn't that Harry Crosbys venture to begin with?

• Advertisement

Didn't they acquire it through nama? Wasn't that Harry Crosbys venture to begin with?

They never owned it - just sponsored it.
    I just mentioned it as an example of a (previously) state owned utility provider spending money on promotion. It sometimes has to be done - butsponsoring a theatre for 4mill plus was to much.
    Electric Ireland sponsoring GAA
    Just pointing out that if it's Ok for them ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not saying that obezyana is screwed, he may as well pay up. But if you're planning on doing this kind of thing, you need to be wary of your trail across the web.

Im Spartacus going to remove obezyana's meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Im Spartacus going to remove obezyana's meter

:D Will you please do it an all, its kinda chilly outside and i dont like the cold :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

How does it work for tenants renting a house, who will possibly be moving house in the next year or two? Seems daft that people renting a house would commit to any charge long-term?

Irish Water consultants are happy, they got paid a nice amount by the government...

nirvana_nevermind_album_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

SOR2010 wrote: »

One of the benefits of metering that often goes unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Johngoose wrote: »
    How does it work for tenants renting a house, who will possibly be moving house in the next year or two? Seems daft that people renting a house would commit to any charge long-term?

Same as lecky and gas I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CLMC80

When I return the envelope unopened I believe the next step for irish water is for them to turn down my pressure and withdraw my "free allowance". How do I get my pressure back without paying them? And at that stage I've lost my allowances? ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What sort of aily usage woud be the average?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement