Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

geeksauce wrote: »
    Why does it matter?

If you dont have a meter it does supposedly. More people means the more you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

geeksauce wrote: »
    Why does it matter?

that's what im asking, will they add a charge for each adult named. is there any benefit in stating how many adults are in the house if only one allowance is allowed per household.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

water tax in ireland is same as it would be taxing those living in dessert for sand.fckng joke this country barely has day without rain. given that early next year about 2million people will be hit with 150-250e per year bill,and yet i dont see how this will create any jobs,nor where will all the cash will be allocated.Surely most plants need to upgrade or whatever,but for amount they will id imagine there will be spring water coming out of the taps (joke)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, there are no added charges per adult (currently) ... (its just that more people will presumably use more water)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

DeVore wrote: »
    No, there are no added charges per adult (currently) ... (its just that more people will presumably use more water)

cheers, time to start getting the boys to pissing in the sink (more often)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

that's what im asking, will they add a charge for each adult named. is there any benefit in stating how many adults are in the house if only one allowance is allowed per household.

Without a meter you get chargeda fixed rate set by the number of adults in the house. (Only 1 pps needed). The charge is already adjusted for the free allowance - so if no pps is supplied I expect they will increase this by the equivalent of the free allowance (about €146 extra a year)

With a meter you pay for usage with the first 30000l free if you give a ppsn.
    They are asking for number of adults - but it only makes a difference if unmetered . Hope that makes sense.
    All here anyway http://www.moneyguideireland.com/unmetered-water-charges-how-will-it-work.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

scamalert wrote: »
    water tax in ireland is same as it would be taxing those living in dessert for sand.fckng joke this country barely has day without rain. given that early next year about 2million people will be hit with 150-250e per year bill,and yet i dont see how this will create any jobs,nor where will all the cash will be allocated.Surely most plants need to upgrade or whatever,but for amount they will id imagine there will be spring water coming out of the taps (joke)

Not this arguement again. Did you think of this yourself?

In the same vein, I'm not sure why we have to pay for oil, sure there is bloody loads of it. An what about this meat business, I mean I drove in the country last week and there were hundreds of cows standing around. Tesco want to charge me for that!!!

If you don't want to pay for water then fine. Simply set up water collection areas, invest in some water purification kits and store all your waste water for later dispoal in the local water treament plant (which of oucrse will be free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

:pac:
    Leroy42 wrote: »

In the same vein, I'm not sure why we have to pay for oil, sure there is bloody loads of it. An what about this meat business, I mean I drove in the country last week and there were hundreds of cows standing around. Tesco want to charge me for that!!!

If you don't want to pay for water then fine. Simply set up water collection areas, invest in some water purification kits and store all your waste water for later dispoal in the local water treament plant (which of oucrse will be free).
    jasus!you're either Phil Hogan or Alan Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

scamalert wrote: »

I haven't seen rain in weeks :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Oh no!! Not this argument again , we already pay for water and always have done

• Advertisement

No, from the GE results, where it was clear that water charges were in the IMF agreement and therefore a party would have had to specifically state they wouldn't bring them in, and based on the fact that all political parties seem to agree with some form of water charges (SF I believe have said they may scrap them after a time) then it would appear that the general consensus is that people accept water charges.

Now whether IW and the way they are doing it is the right way is a totally different question

will there be a poll added to this????

A. Will Pay
    B. Wont Pay

No doubt most of the do gooders out there will!the opposition to this is high,and election 2016 will be fun:)

hju6 wrote: »
    Oh no!! Not this argument again , we already pay for water and always have done

You have paid for the water you have used. This is charging for water you wil use.

Taxes were used to cover this in the past, but since we have sufered a massive fall of in taxes then there needs to be new ways of paying for it.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    will there be a poll added to this????

A. Will Pay
    B. Wont Pay

No doubt most of the do gooders out there will!the opposition to this is high,and election 2016 will be fun:)

So because i am happy to pay my way that makes me a do gooder?

If someone refuses to pay their way does that make them a skanger?

maybe I should rephrase! CAN'T pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Not to disagree here ^^ but cant see any transparency where money will be allocated for years to come.

As far as i see it its another way to tax the hell out of people from whatever theres left.

You have paid for the water you have used. This is charging for water you wil use.

Taxes were used to cover this in the past, but since we have sufered a massive fall of in taxes then there needs to be new ways of paying for it.

No there's been a massive diversion of taxes

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm in a half way house... I am ok with paying (while grumbling about previously paying for water and the ridiculous excess at Irish Water, which is a private company)...

What I'm not ok with is handing over all my personal details to a company who has already said it will ship those details outside the EU and give access to them to people there.... in return for 150 euros off my bill.

If you are happy to pay two or three times for the same thing it makes you gullible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The yearly allowance, how is it that we still don't know how this will work?

The bill itself, is it quarterly or bi-monthly?
    The yearly free allowance is quoted as 30,000l but that's 83 litres a day.

Using the washing machine is 65litres of water per cycle.
    7 minute shower is 50 litres but even if you half that you've gone over your free allowance on days when you wash clothes.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/150-litres-of-water-consumed-daily-by-every-person-245927.html

According the above article, people on average use twice the proposed free allowance so Irish water will be raking it in once it comes time to pay.

• Advertisement

If you are happy to pay two or three times for the same thing it makes you gullible

I'm not paying for anything "two or three times" though, That's just a dead argument that the NO side keep throwing out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Plus a cap for people with "high medical water needs" - but it's just capped at the assesed charge for the household size.
    could somebody please elaborate on the "high medical water needs"? I take it, thats its using the loo very frequently, why cant they install a dual flush cistern if they dont already have one or just put in a displacement device or a few litre bottles of water into the cistern?

I have just moved into an apartment with a dual flush cistern and it uses a fraction of what the older loos do...

At what stage do people take responsibility for themselves?!

Caliden wrote: »
    The yearly allowance, how is it that we still don't know how this will work?

The bill itself, is it quarterly or bi-monthly?
    The yearly free allowance is quoted as 30,000l but that's 83 litres a day.

Using the washing machine is 65litres of water per cycle.
    7 minute shower is 50 litres but even if you half that you've gone over your free allowance on days when you wash clothes.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/150-litres-of-water-consumed-daily-by-every-person-245927.html

According the above article, people on average use twice the proposed free allowance so Irish water will be raking it in once it comes time to pay.

And when people start paying for water they will become more careful with their water usage creating water conservation.

I'm not paying for anything "two or three times" though, That's just a dead argument that the NO side keep throwing out there.

So who paid for the present infrastructure and delivery of water since 1916 then.?

And when people start paying for water they will become more careful with their water usage creating water conservation.

For what purpose, in case we have a drought :pac::pac:

So who paid for the present infrastructure and delivery of water since 1916 then.?

Well i wasn't born until 1970 and have only lived in Ireland since 1984 so it wasn't me but i am presuming it was the government spending tax income and also large infrastructure grants from the EU.

And who is going to pay for its upkeep and renewal?

Before you my taxes, we are running an annual deficit, so all the taxes we have don't cover all the things we want to do.

Well i wasn't born until 1970 and have only lived in Ireland since 1984 so it wasn't me but i am presuming it was the government spending tax income and also large infrastructure grants from the EU.

Explains a lot

Explains a lot

What does?

• Advertisement

And who is going to pay for its upkeep and renewal?

Before you my taxes, we are running an annual deficit, so all the taxes we have don't cover all the things we want to do.

All countries run a deficit it's impossible not too, especially with the interest payments on the European bank bailout which we are saddled with,

If the elected buffoons cannot do the job we pay them to do ,ie provide and care for the infrastructure of the country with the taxes collected then they should be sacked and held accountable for defrauding the electorate.

Providing clean water from General taxation is the least we can expect

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement