Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

So if 2 adults and 2 children are in an unmetered house, it would be best for them to simply say it's 1 adult and 2 children and be assessed at the lower rate rather than 2 adults and 2 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

hju6 wrote: »
    All countries run a deficit it's impossible not too, especially with the interest payments on the European bank bailout which we are saddled with,

If the elected buffoons cannot do the job we pay them to do ,ie provide and care for the infrastructure of the country with the taxes collected then they should be sacked and held accountable for defrauding the electorate.

Providing clean water from General taxation is the least we can expect

Yet other countries don't do this for their citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Does anyone have any official figures for how much it is going to cost to run the collection service every year? How much it will be subsidised?

All i keep finding is the setup cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If the elected buffoons cannot do the job we pay them to do ,ie provide and care for the infrastructure of the country with the taxes collected then they should be sacked and held accountable for defrauding the electorate.
    we elected the bloody buffoons though. After the boom to end all booms, look at what we have! All of the money simply goes into vote buying. How is our water infrastructure so appalling, Dublin still hasnt got a proper transport network i.e. MN and DU... We built an admittedly good roadnetwork, annihilated the tax base and blew welfare and PS payouts to absurd levels, the PS is more understandable. Id like to know why welfare was increasing at double digit percentages when thousands of people were flooding the country a week and getting jobs!

An absolutely brilliant investment and what goes up, very very reluctantly comes down (or doesnt at all) as we have found...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Bit late to the discussions, seems like a huge waste to set up IW ltd if the intention was conserve and modernise the water infrastructure. There has been huge capital investment which could of been avoided if it was just a general flat tax. The tv license is a well established method and people would be less inclined to resist. As for the pps fiasco, just give every household the 30k and kids can be applied for separately. IW is creating so much bad press that ultimately may lead to its demise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Yet other countries don't do this for their citizens.

Yawn! Other countries drive on the left , we don't, other countries speak a different language, etc,

Other countries have the death penalty,

Stupid argument from the IW fan boys,

Yawn! Other countries drive on the left , we don't, other countries speak a different language, etc,

Other countries have the death penalty,

Stupid argument from the IW fan boys,

Nope

Just pointing out that paying for water is the social norm, I understand that some want everything for nothing but tough luck folks the gravy train has stopped at this station and it's time to pay your way or get the **** off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Nope

Just pointing out that paying for water is the social norm, I understand that some want everything for nothing but tough luck folks the gravy train has stopped at this station and it's time to pay your way or get the **** off.

We could go down the route of pointing out all the cash cow glitches in Ireland that other countries dont have, VRT for starters......
    but lifes too short

Nope

Ok pay IW and cut VAT and motor tax,

We could go down the route of pointing out all the cash cow glitches in Ireland that other countries dont have, VRT for starters......
    but lifes too short

Of course we could.

Social welfare,

Free bus passes for junkies,

Mercs for ministers,

I personally would slash them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

2% of VAT and 5% of Motor tax pays for water €1.4billion last year

Ok pay IW and cut VAT and motor tax,

No problem with that seeing as my Motor tax is over 2k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think you will find many IW fan boys, or many fanboys of the charge. What people like myself and others are saying is that all this guff about human rights, double taxation etc, is nonesense. The country is running an unsustainable deficit, due in part to the additional payments on the bail-out but in large part down to us spending more money on services than the taxes we take in.

After laying on massive amounts of extra taxes through USe etc, I assume that the decision was made to charge people for usage, on the basis that at least in part people could control the costs.

We are faced with an very old and ageing water infrastructure that has been allowed to run down over the past and the decision was made to place a cahrge on it to get in some of the money needed to fund that cost over the coming years.

Has IW setup been a disaster so far, well it would appear at the very least that they have failed to communicate in any way effectively with the customers. This thread shows the level of confusion (myself included) out there.

I don't think you will find many IW fan boys, or many fanboys of the charge. What people like myself and others are saying is that all this guff about human rights, double taxation etc, is nonesense. The country is running an unsustainable deficit, due in part to the additional payments on the bail-out but in large part down to us spending more money on services than the taxes we take in.
    exactly this! if they are going to get it from somewhere, then sorting out our appalling water and waste water infrastructure is a good start. Look at all the recent threads of people having meters installed and discovering massive leaks that all of a sudden they are rushing to fix! Because being human, if we dont have to pay, we simply dont care! Now it will take a while to bring the leak rate down etc, but its a very quick fix on peoples private property where staggering amounts is being lost...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Her name was Lola

Heard a good argument on radio recently.

We have 100% of water in some homes of drinkable quality. Yet we flush the toilet with this water.

Why are we treating all water to drinkable level when we drink maybe 1% of the water we consume in a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Nope

No.

That's a worn out cliché.

It's just some folk aren't happy paying 52% tax, but being told repeatedly that basically it covers Shag all.

Why are we treating all water to drinkable level when we drink maybe 1% of the water we consume in a house?
    can you imagine the cost of laying new pipe to supply non potable water? Houses can install a grey water system if they wish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Her name was Lola

Idbatterim wrote: »
    can you imagine the cost of laying new pipe to supply non potable water? Houses can install a grey water system if they wish.

Tell me about this?

about the grey water system? see below link, if you google it, you will get endless info. I linked to this one, as it raises the question of whether they are worth the investment, sites trying to sell them obviously have their own agenda.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jul/21/greywater-systems-can-they-really-reduce-your-bills

alternatively you can get a water tank and simply have rainwater from the gutter fill it and use that for flushing the toilet, watering the garden, possibly washing the car. The simplest, most practical and cheapest thing to do though, is simply get a dual flush toilet or install a displacement device or simply put something in the cistern that displaces the water, hence using less of it... I cant see how you could cut back much on other water usage though, other than going from bath to shower, shorter shower etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Just pointing out that paying for water is the social norm.

:confused: Eh, no. Not walking around on the street naked is a social norm. Having sex in private is a social norm. What has paying or not paying for water got to do with Social norms ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't think you will find many IW fan boys, or many fanboys of the charge. What people like myself and others are saying is that all this guff about human rights, double taxation etc, is nonesense. The country is running an unsustainable deficit

it's guff because we're running a deficit? So if we didn't have a deficit it would be valid?

Sounds like guff to me

the sustainability of this, is a bigger pro than arguing over where else we could or should get the whatever hundred million a year... You would question if there would be a need for the below in the short to medium term, when the charges are introduced...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-water-begins-project-to-supply-dublin-from-river-shannon-622858.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Whats stopping people using PPS numbers of children that no longer live in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the sustainability of this, is a bigger pro than arguing over where else we could or should get the whatever hundred million a year... You would question if there would be a need for the below in the short to medium term, when the charges are introduced...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-water-begins-project-to-supply-dublin-from-river-shannon-622858.html

Yum, put some more gravy on the Maltesers please...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Were all seriously f***** with this one lads.

Bend over and prepare for the cold dick of Irish water...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Sorry if this question was raised before, but I live in an apartment and as far as I know no meters will be installed. So what's the point in giving IW all the pps numbers of all the people that live when I can give only one and be charged less???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Old boardie22

After laying on massive amounts of extra taxes through USe etc, I assume that the decision was made to charge people for usage, on the basis that at least in part people could control the costs.

We are faced with an very old and ageing water infrastructure that has been allowed to run down over the past and the decision was made to place a cahrge on it to get in some of the money needed to fund that cost over the coming years.

Has IW setup been a disaster so far, well it would appear at the very least that they have failed to communicate in any way effectively with the customers. This thread shows the level of confusion (myself included) out there.

Love this post... !! Mentions gravy trains ending after saying about IW fanboys, of which this poster seems like one to me....
    You really lost it as soon as you said about running deficits.. Who you trying to kid..? The public did not break the economy with over spending as your post eluded to.. The country is broke because the banks robbed us..? Remember..?..? Oh and we paid/paying for that didn't we, just like everything else.. So this is just more bull from the ruling class water conservation paying for services..? You are joking right..?
    What fcking service..?
    Selective memory me thinks...
    I do not owe the banks money for their bad gambles. And nor does any irish "joe soap". Away with your badself..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

So once we're out of debt the water tax will go away?

Use some foresight will ya, water tax will be here until both you and I are long dead and it's cost will only go one way, up.

The government need money and handing over the water system is as good a reason as any to introduce another tax.

They should just have said, "we need money, everyone hand over 250 quid a year. Thanks. Also, on an unrelated note we will be paying a private company money to look after the water system".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Were all seriously f***** with this one lads.

Bend over and prepare for the cold dick of Irish water...

At least I can swallow what comes out of a dick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement