Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

No, I would not..

Maybe your own fortunes haven't improved because you're a negative person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

"Eh, Ireland?"
    Is not evidence or data to prove taxes going up improves an economy..

can anyone actually answer his original query?

I would have thought any improvement here was due to coat tailing an upturn in the Global economy, not localised taxing. if im correct, is it possible that overtaxing slowed down recovery?

Genuinely interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

From your own link

So with all of these decreases how does that not point to the economy improving? :confused:

Like I said for a very few,

There has been no wage increases, minimum wage is the same as 2007,

People have took pay cuts increased taxes loss of hours

So basically the economy is creaming the poor to pay the bank debt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Old boardie22

If like the graph shows people seeking employment is down 1.3% over the last year.... Do you think that percentage suddenly got jobs..? Where exactly..?
    The only jobs I know have been created the last couple if years anywhere is in the service sector.. So. Being a cleaner. Working on a deli, in a hotel, bar staff...
    You think this is job creation do you..?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If like the graph shows people seeking employment is down 1.3% over the last year.... Do you think that percentage suddenly got jobs..? Where exactly..?
    The only jobs I know have been created the last couple if years anywhere is in the service sector.. So. Being a cleaner. Working on a deli, in a hotel, bar staff...
    You think this is job creation do you..?

Really?

Because i work in the IT sector and i get calls about work quite regularly even though i am in my job a few years. I haven't worked construction for years but have recently been getting calls on a weekly basis offering me work. Things are not at at 2005 levels where people can waltz in and out of jobs but to deny things are improving is just a very blinkered view imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Old boardie22

Really?

Because i work in the IT sector and i get calls about work quite regularly even though i am in my job a few years. I haven't worked construction for years but have recently been getting calls on a weekly basis offering me work. Things are not at at 2005 levels where people can waltz in and out of jobs but to deny things are improving is just a very blinkered view imo.

Blinkered or reality..? I don't think it me wearing rose tinted glasses...
    Funny you mention construction.. Im at it all my life.. I know more than one crowd that couldn't keep running because of the lack of business.. Couple of years ago guys were turning work away they had that much of it.. They could charge what they like also (not that I'm saying this was a good thing)
    In fact, most of the "young" trademen/labourers I know are either no longer at it or have fecked of to oz..

Blinkered or reality..? I don't think it me wearing rose tinted glasses...
    Funny you mention construction.. Im at it all my life.. I know more than one crowd that couldn't keep running because of the lack of business.. Couple of years ago guys were turning work away they had that much of it.. They could charge what they like also (not that I'm saying this was a good thing)
    In fact, most of the "young" trademen/labourers I know are either no longer at it or have fecked of to oz..

Well there seems to be be a new tower crane hitting the skyline every week lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Satriale wrote: »
    can anyone actually answer his original query?

His original query wasn't asking for evidence of a causal relationship between higher taxes and an improving economy.
    You show me any evidence from any country from any point in time where taxes were raised and an economy grew again
    He just didn't like the obvious answer so he changed the question.

To be honest, no evidence would be sufficient for someone who doesn't even accept the plain fact that the economy has improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Really?

You're wasted in I.T

Timberrrrrrrr recruitment services beckons.

You're wasted in I.T

Timberrrrrrrr recruitment services beckons.

Makes no sense but used to that from your posts so will just say

Ok.

• Advertisement

Makes no sense but used to that from your posts so will just say

Ok.

I'm curious as to why a middle aged ex squaddie uses a busty red dressed check as an avatar tbh.

Makes no sense either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

From your own link

So with all of these decreases how does that not point to the economy improving? :confused:

Just because the official jobless numbers has reduced doesnt mean that suddenly a heap of jobs have been created, least of all longterm jobs that create any wealth. More like the numbers have been shifted, I was taken off the live register years ago though still not employed, technically Id reduced the jobless figures by one, things might be or seem better, but there have not been swathes of people returning to work especially not in jobs that can pay a reasonable income to expected costs of living.

I'm curious as to why a middle aged ex squaddie uses a busty red dressed check as an avatar tbh.

Makes no sense either.

Hmmmmmmm

I haven't noticed what my avatar is yet it seems to upset you enough to comment on it. Interesting.

cerastes wrote: »
    Just because the official jobless numbers has reduced doesnt mean that suddenly a heap of jobs have been created, least of all longterm jobs that create any wealth. More like the numbers have been shifted, I was taken off the live register years ago though still not employed, technically Id reduced the jobless figures by one, things might be or seem better, but there have not been swathes of people returning to work especially not in jobs that can pay a reasonable income to expected costs of living.

Yet everything points to the economy improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Makes no sense either.

A curious line of questioning from someone whose username is a bit of a prick. :)

Phoebas wrote: »
    A curious line of questioning from someone whose username is a bit of a prick. :)

Made me snarf beer out my nose :D

Phoebas wrote: »

Touché Phoebe. :)

Hmmmmmmm

I haven't noticed what my avatar is yet it seems to upset you enough to comment on it. Interesting.

Only annoyed me in a sense that I thought I was arguing with some curvy Buxom check, then I kept thinking..... This poster reminds me in someone.....

Then I realised who it was, the penny dropped, and so did my loins.

Only annoyed me in a sense that I thought I was arguing with some curvy Buxom check, then I kept thinking..... This poster reminds me in someone.....

Then I realised who it was, the penny dropped, and so did my loins.

Do you mean check as in czec or check as in chick?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You must be living in a different country than the rest of us, as the writers of those articles you posted seaumus...
    I didn't post any articles. I posted statistics. Nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Do you have any statistics on how many of those in employment and no longer seeking work are on the job bridge scheme? It appears as if that particular project has been a source of free labour to businesses and schools all over the country.
    About 6,000 at the moment. The numbers in JobBridge are published every month as part of the Live Register statistics release

Straight from the CSO for August. Not exactly Slavebridge but it nearest cousin "activation programmes"
    CSO wrote:
    Data up to the end of July 2014 on the number of people availing of a range of programmes targeted primarily at the long-term unemployed (over 12 months) and other welfare recipients (including Lone Parents) is provided in the Annex – Live Register Activation Programmes table.
    There were 64,170 people availing of these programmes in July 2014, which is an increase of 524 (0.8%) from the previous year, when there were 63,646 people in activation programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    will there be a poll added to this????

A. Will Pay
    B. Wont Pay

No doubt most of the do gooders out there will!the opposition to this is high,and election 2016 will be fun:)
    Another one here who isn't going to pay. I have my app form from iw sitting on the side. I have no meter living in a block of apartments. I just lost my job too so they can fcuk right off.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

falan wrote: »
    Another one here who isn't going to pay. I have my app form from iw sitting on the side. I have no meter living in a block of apartments. I just lost my job too so they can fcuk right off.!

I work in a very low paid job,got paid yesterday and after all the bills were paid I have €4 left for the week and I must get to and from work etc on that,so as I said it's not that i won't i can't afford to pay, I never got my form and it'll be a cold day in hell before a meter is installed which in inside my gate at that, I'm not political but it's double taxation and the next 2 budgets will be used buy the 2016 general election, it's worse we are getting as a country and I bet all those who are paying don't have as much money problems as you and i OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I do not receive a water supply from the Co. Co. and because of where I live it is unlikely I will have one within my lifetime.
    I will put this on the form and return it, but without including my PPS no.
    There is no possibility of a contract existing between us so I don't see why I need to comply>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I work in a very low paid job,got paid yesterday and after all the bills were paid I have €4 left for the week and I must get to and from work etc on that,so as I said it's not that i won't i can't afford to pay, I never got my form and it'll be a cold day in hell before a meter is installed which in inside my gate at that, I'm not political but it's double taxation and the next 2 budgets will be used buy the 2016 general election, it's worse we are getting as a country and I bet all those who are paying don't have as much money problems as you and i OP
    I know where you are coming from. Up until recently I was in a low paying job (just above min wage). To some people this charge is nothing and they will never understand what its like to be broke.
    I couldn't afford it when I was working so I won't be able to afford it not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

I too won't be paying,there is a massive opposition to this double tax,I live in Ferrybank in Waterford and we have stopped the Irish Water gangsters from putting meters in,the media are not broadcasting any of this as they are owned by the big wigs,opposition is widespread across the country,stick together and oppose this so called tax

https://m.facebook.com/WatermeteringIrelandLetsfightback/posts/275307282657994

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Our water meter was installed while we were on holidays. Divided household here, my husband is on the bend over and take it side while I'm on the cold day in hell/double taxation/ we have nothing left to give side.

Anyway the letter came at the start of the week addressed to my husband. If he knew this, he'd fill it out and send it right back so I hid it!

Am I right in saying our water will be metered from the start of October? What can they do if we just don't send the letter back? My husband can answer in all honesty he didn't get the letter! #uck IW this is my contribution to the fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So water charges start next week.

We haven't received any information whatever regarding this. None, nada, zilch.
    No welcome pack, no information on charges/allowances etc.

So from next week i will be paying for a service that:

I don't know how much it will cost per litre/per person

I have no idea about when or where i will have a meter

I have no idea about free allowances

I have no idea how to pay, where to pay, when to pay

To add insult to injury i read that if we are good people and start conserving water then Irish Water will simply raise the price to make sure their profits stay up.

So if we use 20,000 litres next year and find that it is expensive for that amount, so we get it down to 17,000 the following year then the price will more than likely be the same if not more?

Sorry but where is the incentive to keep saving water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

mfceiling wrote: »
    To add insult to injury i read that if we are good people and start conserving water then Irish Water will simply raise the price to make sure their profits stay up.

Where did you read that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Where did you read that?

Lots about it earlier this year, Ombudsman to review pricing to ensure the company pays for itself, breakpoint anyway - regardless of how well/poorly it's run, nice insurance policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement