Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Correct, none of us know. The Commission for Energy Regulation are in the process of finalising their process. The charges will be known before the deadline for submitting your application to IW, 31st October.

http://www.cer.ie/document-detail/Water-Customer-Handbook-and-Tariff-Principle-Papers/956

Do you agree that it would be nice to know how much this tax is before we start to pay for it?

Imagine Micheal Noonan told us that he was bringing in a new tax in the budget and it will be coming from our wages immediately but it will be another while before he'll tell us how much it is...wouldn't wash would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mfceiling wrote: »
    Do you agree that it would be nice to know how much this tax is before we start to pay for it?

Imagine Micheal Noonan told us that he was bringing in a new tax in the budget and it will be coming from our wages immediately but it will be another while before he'll tell us how much it is...wouldn't wash would it?

It really is awful isn't it. The only thing you can do is to try to use less water from next Wednesday. Nobody can change the charge at this stage so that is the only sensible approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

Imagine Micheal Noonan told us that he was bringing in a new tax in the budget and it will be coming from our wages immediately but it will be another while before he'll tell us how much it is...wouldn't wash would it?[/QUOTe

No and if we don't pay the water charges maybe we won't wash either!!

You will know - when you get your bill in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

It really is awful isn't it. The only thing you can do is to try to use less water from next Wednesday. Nobody can change the charge at this stage so that is the only sensible approach.

What a patronising, condescending post.

Hasn't been a great week for FG what with Endas cronyism up in Donegal, and Feighans assaulting incident in Roscommon. Topped off with the data commissioner expressing grave concerns over Irish Waters intentions.

Things can only get better I suppose.

• Advertisement

I will try to use less but i'd sure like to know how much it's costing me for what i do use.

Thing is, if the price is quite expensive then it's a bit late to start moaning about it. I'm sure most of us would like to have known the price as soon as possible. That way we could have have lobbied for a reduction in the price.

Now we're basically screwed. It's a case of put up and shut up...

What a patronising, condescending post.

Hasn't been a great week for FG what with Endas cronyism up in Donegal, and Feighans assaulting incident in Roscommon. Topped off with the data commissioner expressing grave concerns over Irish Waters intentions.

Things can only get better I suppose.

So sorry to have offended your sensibilities old bean.

Not much good then.

If i did a job for you and didn't tell you the price, would you be happy if i told you that you'll know when you get the bill from me in january?

I will try to use less but i'd sure like to know how much it's costing me for what i do use.

Thing is, if the price is quite expensive then it's a bit late to start moaning about it. I'm sure most of us would like to have known the price as soon as possible. That way we could have have lobbied for a reduction in the price.

Now we're basically screwed. It's a case of put up and shut up...

Just don't pay the bill. They can't cut off your water, no more than they can cut off your TV signal if you don't pay the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

It's quite obvious that a select number of posters here are in someway affiliated with the company in question, directly or otherwise, hence the defensiveness and deviations from the questions at hand.

• Advertisement

So sorry to have offended your sensibilities old bean.

S'alright. I forgive ya.

Brandy and cigar in the smoking room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

That changes everything. As a business user you should be paying commercial water charges already.

No he shouldn't.

Just don't pay the bill. They can't cut off your water, no more than they can cut off your TV signal if you don't pay the licence.

I'll pay it because like 95% of the population i don't want the hassle of court appearances etc. I would like to know the cost before i start paying though...

Tv licence is paid too, but don't get me started on that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Isn't it a "charge" ?

A "bill" would imply some sort of contract would be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

EazyD wrote: »
    It's quite obvious that a select number of posters here are in someway affiliated with the company in question, directly or otherwise, hence the defensiveness and deviations from the questions at hand.

Care to follow up on that accusation by naming them?

I'll pay it because like 95% of the population i don't want the hassle of court appearances etc. I would like to know the cost before i start paying though...

You will know the cost. It will be announced before you have to submit your application, and more than two months before you get your first bill.

I hope other people here will find your reasoning instructive. All that will happen to people who adopt the failed Don't Register, Don't Pay approach is that they will incur higher charges and make their lives complicated. And in the end they will all pay.

EazyD wrote: »

Na, I doubt it.

I do reckon that most of them in favour are state or semi-state employees and these people know that the trough has to be kept full to keep them in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

Maybe they're in the process of doing so, and will post them before the deadline Oct 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Na, I doubt it.

I do reckon that most of them in favour are state or semi-state employees and these people know that the trough has to be kept full to keep them in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

There's a certain stink of ps about some alirght.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

You will know the cost. It will be announced before you have to submit your application, and more than two months before you get your first bill.

I hope other people here will find your reasoning instructive. All that will happen to people who adopt the failed Don't Register, Don't Pay approach is that they will incur higher charges and make their lives complicated. And in the end they will all pay.

What about those who are trying to register (for or against) that are being obstructed by the pps nonsense? Having two kids entitled to their allowance and no way of getting it without handing over their pps numbers is a major hurdle for me and quite a fcuk up from those responsible for implementing the charge/bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Wouldn't fancy the inevitable infraction, so no I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

How about anyone who doesn't give their PPSN doesn't get any allowances? That's a fair way to do it, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

You seem so very sure of that everything will all be hunky dory.
    Plenty of negative PR already surronding this water company.
    Plenty of people unhappy too.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    How about anyone who doesn't give their PPSN doesn't get any allowances? That's a fair way to do it, no?

Where the hell have you been this past month.

That's Exactly What they're proposing.

They also sent the letter to my wife but in her maiden name.

She hasn't been legally known by that name for near 15 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Or instead of everyone having to apply for an allowance which everyone gets, reduce the cost or make it default without needing to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Or instead of everyone having to apply for an allowance which everyone gets, reduce the cost or make it default without needing to apply?
    I think the idea is you get a higher allowance the more people you have in the house. You can't make it default without giving all houses equal allowances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I think the idea is you get a higher allowance the more people you have in the house. You can't make it default without giving all houses equal allowances.

Each household gets the same allowance if they are 1 or 10 adults. Its only for children that the number matters. For an apartment with 2 or 3 people they only want 1 PPSN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The problem here is that even if we all start to conserve water and hope that our bills will be reduced, then Irish Water will simply increase the prices so the profits aren't hit...

Where's the incentive?

People say this like it's a sure thing. The provision allows for Irish Water to raise the price, having cleared it first, if they run at a loss due to low demand. It just takes account of the fact that we really have no idea how much it will cost to run a national water supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Where the hell have you been this past month.

That's Exactly What they're proposing.

Not to mention the fact that the only reason Irish Water are collecting PPS numbers us that they are asked by the government to do so in order to validate who is entitled for allowances and make sure the same person is not claiming allowance on multiple properties. If they hadn't been required to do that they wouldn't care about PPS numbers.

The government should manage this themselves in order to have a utility company collect this type of information, but I guess they didn't feel like it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement