Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Only, this isn't a tax.
    They haven't got, nor won't have, revenue to enforce this.

Revenue aren't in the business of collecting money for commercial setups.

Ha - watch this space! There are certain commonalities between property tax and water charges. They both relate to property - the Revenue database mightn't need as much tweaking as you might think in order to correlate the two and extract the shekels from you that way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Plates wrote: »
    Not yet.

It's not in their remit.

Do you think revenue will be collecting money for 'tax non dom' when he buys this quango?

BarryD wrote: »
    Ha - watch this space! There are certain commonalities between property tax and water charges. They both relate to property - the Revenue database mightn't need as much tweaking as you might think in order to correlate the two and extract the shekels from you that way :(

No chance. Even the blueshirts aren't that stupid..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Plates wrote: »
    De peeples are angry. Backs to the wall, put to the pin of their collar. De Govmint are quaking in their boots. It's a revolution.

Me arse. The Celtic Tiger is dead, long live the Toothless Tiger. So many mad rebels on social media. Just like when the Property Tax was due, which the vast majority are now paying.

I agree, as am sure do so others here. But, people here are not apathetic - but we seem to be accepting of all the rubbish thrown in our direction. I am not a supporter of any party -(they all seem up their own!), but I did feel there was an air of change 'promised' - we're now delighted that through austerity -we're the best, most-obedient, well-behaved country in Europe! Well yippee for us - we must have the ****tiest hospital care ever!

Rant over .....I will pay for my water - I will not hand over my PPS number to 'Irish Water' .............so will I be sued/fined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I agree, as am sure do so others here. But, people here are not apathetic - but we seem to be accepting of all the rubbish thrown in our direction. I am not a supporter of any party -(they all seem up their own!), but I did feel there was an air of change 'promised' - we're now delighted that through austerity -we're the best, most-obedient, well-behaved country in Europe! Well yippee for us - we must have the ****tiest hospital care ever!

Rant over .....I will pay for my water - I will not hand over my PPS number to 'Irish Water' .............so will I be sued/fined?

No. You'll not be fined for refusal to hand over your PPS No.

You'll only be 'punished' . Despite the fact various Govt agencies tell you not to be handing it out nilly willy. (as Dev pointed out earlier)

What a great wee country.

• Advertisement

No chance. Even the blueshirts aren't that stupid..........

When it comes to cash for the state...... besides Irish Water is not entirely a commercial operation as far as I can see, there is a state interest there, is there not?

Personally I value water and a good supply of it and I think you will too in due course if your supply is cut to a trickle. Charges will come in one way or the other - either by metering or a straight bill in the post.

If it's by metering, it'll bring on big changes to peoples habits - the dishwasher will always be run when it's full, ditto for washing machines, showers will be shorter in duration, the car in the driveway will stay a bit grimy and all those fancy flowerbeds that require daily deluges of tap water will be traded for hardier shrubs etc.

No. You'll not be fined for refusal to hand over your PPS No.

You'll only be 'punished' . Despite the fact various Govt agencies tell you not to be handing it out nilly willy. (as Dev pointed out earlier)

What a great wee country.

Think I'll just take my 'punishment' - what a balls-up....... nothing is actually working:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally I value water and a good supply of it and I think you will too in due course if your supply is cut to a trickle.

Have a 1000 litre potable water tank that feeds the whole house.
    A trickle will keep that topped up no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

That's exactly what will happen.

I am a non resident, from my reading I am going to have to pay €160 a year for BOTH water and sewage charges on my empty home in Ireland. I have no problem with this charge its similiar to what I already pay for the electricity standing charge and it is good to have the utility service there shoudlI ever need it.

What I dont understand is why do they need my PPS number as a non resident??

Think I'll just take my 'punishment' - what a balls-up....... nothing is actually working:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My personal stance, (and I say this as a parent of two kids under 5)

I am refusing to engage with Irish Water. I'll not be filling in their contract, I'll not be paying a bill.

I have not, nor will not advocate anyone to do likewise Fwiw.

Everyone has their own decision to make on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Have a 1000 litre potable water tank that feeds the whole house.
    A trickle will keep that topped up no problem.

Not advisable for drinking.

It's actually interesting that people seem to be focusing their angst on the poor chaps given the job of installing the meters - I suppose they're just a handy target and easy to get at.

If you do accept that water charges are a reality one way or the other, then you'd think metering would be a fairer system for most people. If it's a straight bill, then you could be paying the exact same amount for water whilst being reasonably frugal with it - as your man down the road who's absolutely flaithulach with it. So in effect you'd be subsidising his excessive use. At least metering would sort that out and yer man will pay though the nose for his extravagance.

You do know what potable water is, don't you?

Ah right. I misread 'potable' water tank.
    I'm not sure what problem that's supposed to solve. Water running through the meter at a trickle rate is charged at the same rate as water running through the meter at full rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Phoebas wrote: »
    Ah right. I misread 'potable' water tank.
    I'm not sure what problem that's supposed to solve. Water running through the meter at a trickle rate is charged at the same rate as water running through the meter at full rate.

As I've said here before, there's no chance that they'll meter my mains.

Only I know where it is and where the several branches I've installed on it are.

I don't live in a town, they'd have to dig up half the townland where I live to even come close....

My personal stance, (and I say this as a parent of two kids under 5)

I am refusing to engage with Irish Water. I'll not be filling in their contract, I'll not be paying a bill.

I have not, nor will not advocate anyone to do likewise Fwiw.

Everyone has their own decision to make on this one.

Best get the rain barrels sorted out then :)

Seriously, you can collect a lot of water off the roof of an ordinary domestic house. Might tide you over in winter when there's a good flow and exchange but in summer they tend to get a bit stagnant :(

It's actually interesting that people seem to be focusing their angst on the poor chaps given the job of installing the meters - I suppose they're just a handy target and easy to get at.

If you do accept that water charges are a reality one way or the other, then you'd think metering would be a fairer system for most people. If it's a straight bill, then you could be paying the exact same amount for water whilst being reasonably frugal with it - as your man down the road who's absolutely flaithulach with it. So in effect you'd be subsidising his excessive use. At least metering would sort that out and yer man will pay though the nose for his extravagance.

Directing 'anger' is a poor choice of words.

From what I've seen (prepared to be corrected) , most protests are peaceful. It's when the installers try to bull their way into installing a meter they never asked for, things get messy.

Also, take into account, without a meter, refusal to engage with IW makes it extremely difficult to restrict your pressure.

I have been asked for evidence on the Garda station being ing surrounded, and for riot clad gards been ran out of estates, which I've provided.

Things have changed out there. And no that doesn't believe the Govt could row back on this is fooling themselves.

Changes are on the way.

I don't think people are targetting the installers solely, but there is nobody from irish Water who will answer a question - the most pertinent being - why is a PPs number required?

Best get the rain barrels sorted out then :)

Seriously, you can collect a lot of water off the roof of an ordinary domestic house. Might tide you over in winter when there's a good flow and exchange but in summer they tend to get a bit stagnant :(

I assure you. Whether I pay, don't not pay, my water supply will remain unaffected.

You can put your mortgage on that one. ;)

• Advertisement

Only I know where it is and where the several branches I've installed on it are.

I don't live in a town, they'd have to dig up half the townland where I live to even come close....

No need for you to install a potable water tank to store drinking water if they don't know where your water mains is. :confused:
    You'll just be charged the flat rate.

Sounds like you have a watertight solution so! The mind boggles though as to how or why you've managed to tap the mains supply in several places! Most people would be happy with one.

A thought though - what if they replace the mains some day.. you'll be snookered then!

No need for you to install a potable water tank to store drinking water if they don't know where your water mains is. :confused:

A 1000 litre tank with a 4 bar Grundfos pump means my showers could take the skin off ya. Not the p1ss poor water pressure I suffered here for years.
    Lovely.

I have been asked for evidence on the Garda station being ing surrounded, and for riot clad gards been ran out of estates, which I've provided.

If a protest outside a garda station is the same as a garda station being 'surrounded' and some protesters shouting Nazi slogans following some gardai down the road is the same as running them out of estates, then I suppose so.

I don't think people are targetting the installers solely, but there is nobody from irish Water who will answer a question - the most pertinent being - why is a PPs number required?

It seems fairly obvious why they want PPS numbers for all residents of the house who are claiming an allowance.

Otherwise people might/ would claim that they had more eligible people that they are entitled to. The PPS no is unique to each person. When they enter it on their database, presumably they can check first that it is valid and second any attempt to quote for another property will throw up a 'red flag'.

Sounds like you have a watertight solution so! The mind boggles though as to how or why you've managed to tap the mains supply in several places! Most people would be happy with one.

A thought though - what if they replace the mains some day.. you'll be snookered then!

Can't see them replacing the main anytime soon, there's only a couple of houses out this way.

I moved my stopcock inside my property boundary and the branches are just 'spares' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Im getting the idea that water meterers (meterists) are going to start going missing in the back of beyong where fr. ned lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

If my neighbours and I wanted to have meters installed and these thugs stopped the workers coming in would that be democratic?

If I may offer a word in my own defence, I don't advocate stopping workers installing meters, why would I care if they don't have my details in the first place and I'm not going to pay.

Incidentally anyone who thinks water isn't worth protesting over, try doing without it for a couple of days!

Can't see them replacing the main anytime soon, there's only a couple of houses out this way.

I moved my stopcock inside my property boundary and the branches are just 'spares' ;)

I take my hat off to your forward vision :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Not advisable for drinking.

So no different to the water Irish water will be providing in some areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement