Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

The price is up to the regulator is it not?

They could chuck a figure in there I suppose but then people will be given out to for being lied too ( though as long as it's in there somewhere that the price is made up and the will charge you a different amount come implementation then it's all good, eh banjo string?)

Anyway, charging hasn't started yet, they are putting in the charging infrastructure. If the price is published by the start of the first billing cycle then omplaints are plenty justified.

If the guy in question read the information he was sent then he might know. This was covered by the woman on pat Kenny too.

How many ways can I say this and how many times do I have to say it, the man is not a customer of Irish water so he did not bother reading the stuff. Why would he ? Is it a crime not to read everything that comes through your door? If Irish water are that worred about non customers not bothering with their stuff through the post then they should sent it registered post. Incidentally not everyone listens to Pat Kenny.

The ,charging infrastructure, fancy term eh! The price should be set out by now.Only fair to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I presume if you dont bother to read the letter , you will simply be charged for water regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I presume if you dont bother to read the letter , you will simply be charged for water regardless.

From what I gather, yes. The flat rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You will be charged more than the flat rate if you don't reply . They are proposing to charge unmetered homes the rate for 2 adults minus the free allowance - so that would be €424 a year - see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-water-to-issue-application-packs.html

• Advertisement

Ogham wrote: »
    You will be charged more than the flat rate if you don't reply . They are proposing to charge unmetered homes the rate for 2 adults minus the free allowance - so that would be €424 a year - see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-water-to-issue-application-packs.html

I took the unmetered rate to be the flat rate.

I doubt anyone thought they just get charged a standing charge of a few quid a month if they don't send the form back but continue using water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Where did that 50% figure come from?

The figure came from Irish Water. (It's 49% if you want to be pedantic.) You should know this, you usually have all the PR stuff for any question asked here!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/20-homes-using-as-much-water-as-town-of-9000-people-30585059.html

The Irish water documents state: "Across the network, leakage is now estimated to be in the region of 49pc, as opposed to the originally estimated 41pc

Someone's guesstimate I'd imagine. I can't see how they'd know tbh.

If it's anything like other figures I hear about various things from people it came from a guy that works for the council that looked in a hole one day and went

You could be right there. 40 million in consultants doesnt get what it used to.

The Irish water documents state: "Across the network, leakage is now estimated to be in the region of 49pc, as opposed to the originally estimated 41pc

"jess, half the waters getting away" and that's now gospel.

You should go back and apologise to that guy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I took the unmetered rate to be the flat rate.

I doubt anyone thought they just get charged a standing charge of a few quid a month if they don't send the form back but continue using water.

Unmetered/flat rate - yes same thing . BUT - what I am ponting out is that a single person with their own septic tank who replies will be charged a flat rate of €88 a year. If the same same person doesn't reply he will be charged €424 a year. Big difference.!

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/unmetered-water-charges-how-will-it-work.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

All Irish residents should be microchipped and there would be no need for PPS numbers.They should pay for the microchipping procedure themselves and the government could ensure every citizen would pay every single tax they owe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Johngoose wrote: »
    All Irish residents should be microchipped and there would be no need for PPS numbers.They should pay for the microchipping procedure themselves and the government could ensure every citizen would pay every single tax they owe...

If it also worked as a pedometer we could pay for the upkeep of the pavements, pay as you step. Obviously you cant expect your taxes to pay for pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Satriale wrote: »
    The figure came from Irish Water. (It's 49% if you want to be pedantic.) You should know this, you usually have all the PR stuff for any question asked here!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/20-homes-using-as-much-water-as-town-of-9000-people-30585059.html

They're still going with the 41% in this document which outlines some of their investment/spending plans up to 2016. Find me the document with 49%, I'm inclined not to believe a lot of what I read in the Indo.

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/Proposed-Capital-Investment-Plan-2014-2016.pdf

Leakage from the water networks averages over 41% across the country, twice the level of that in the UK, where the assets are comparable but have been more intensively managed over the last 20 years. Leakage is several times the typical figures in Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands, where networks are much newer from decades of investment in mains renewal. This gives a general indication of the relative state of our water infrastructure and that significant investment will be needed over several years for us to catch up with international norms in the water utility sector.

As for the Irish water "supporters" here, I think there is an element of "turkeys voting for Christmas" in your posts.I wouldn't be surprised if employees of Irish Water are encouraged to post on public forums such as this.Posts which are against water charges are being attacked strongly.Or it could be that some Irish citizens love paying taxes and charges!

I find it dumbfounding that people on this website would actually want to pay for something which has been available free of charge up to this point.

As for the Irish water "supporters" here, I think there is an element of "turkeys voting for Christmas" in your posts.I wouldn't be surprised if employees of Irish Water are encouraged to post on public forums such as this.Posts which are against water charges are being attacked strongly.Or it could be that some Irish citizens love paying taxes and charges!

Ah this one.
    Probably not the first time in the thread but sure its nice to bring it up every so often just incase we all forget to go to our jobs in Irish water. Between that and my job running greyhound its a wonder I've any energy left to turn up to my 9 -5 job at all.

One of the Moderators was on earlier today reminding us to report any posts which break the rules. They also take a dim view of the type of accusation you are purveying. Unless you have proof.

They're still going with the 41% in this document which outlines some of their investment/spending plans up to 2016. Find me the document with 49%, I'm inclined not to believe a lot of what I read in the Indo.

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/Proposed-Capital-Investment-Plan-2014-2016.pdf

Leakage from the water networks averages over 41% across the country, twice the level of that in the UK, where the assets are comparable but have been more intensively managed over the last 20 years. Leakage is several times the typical figures in Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands, where networks are much newer from decades of investment in mains renewal. This gives a general indication of the relative state of our water infrastructure and that significant investment will be needed over several years for us to catch up with international norms in the water utility sector.

Take it up with the Indo. For a man so concerned about food waste i'm surprised you even think 41% is acceptable. It's not.

Ah this one.
    Probably not the first time in the thread but sure its nice to bring it up every so often just incase we all forget to go to our jobs in Irish water. Between that and my job running greyhound its a wonder I've any energy left to turn up to my 9 -5 job at all.

Maybe you like paying newly invented charges I don't personally

One of the Moderators was on earlier today reminding us to report any posts which break the rules. They also take a dim view of the type of accusation you are purveying. Unless you have proof.

I think back seat modding is also against the rules!:o

Take it up with the Indo. For a man so concerned about food waste i'm surprised you even think 41% is acceptable. It's not.

No, find me the document which you crowed about. And I never said anything about leakages, other than to query the veracity of the 50% claim.

• Advertisement

Which both of us have just indulged in.

I think if you earn a little bit more than the average then you're happier to see the introduction of a tax that applies to all equally, than you would be with the idea of having middle to high earners foot the entirety of it. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Ah this one.

Ironic that your name is "Incognito" :-)

I find it dumbfounding that people on this website would actually want to pay for something which has been available free of charge up to this point.

Have the power of speech been restored to you yet?

No, find me the document which you crowed about. And I never said anything about leakages, other than to query the veracity of the 50% claim.

You are being overly pedantic. I'm not asking you to be responsible for the veracity of the old Irish Water figures.

If you have issues with the Indo take it up with Denis O' Brien.

And you are arguing with me over water wastage. If you dont like wasting water we are on the same side in this instance. You are playing the man not the ball.

Have the power of speech been restored to you yet?
    Shock, horror, a sneering poster on boards.ie

You are being overly pedantic. I'm not asking you to be responsible for the veracity of the old Irish Water figures.

If you have issues with the Indo take it up with Denis O' Brien.

And you are arguing with me over water wastage. If you dont like wasting water we are on the same side in this instance. You are playing the man not the ball.

8% is not a trivial matter when it comes to leakages. I'm sure you will be pleased to know that metering will help to identify leaks on customers property.

Customer side leakage is a significant component of unaccounted for water. The domestic water metering programme has already started to quantify the extent of customer side leakage and Irish Water is preparing a strategy to a deal with this issue. This strategy will involve the government’s proposal for a “first fix” offer to customers for leaks reported post meter installation to be repaired subject to terms and conditions. A separate paper on our Approach to Water Conservation is being launched with the CIP.

I'm speculating but if a document exists which says there is 49% leakage, then it may include customer side leaks, maybe even dripping taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

I recall this same invective being heaped on the Household Charge process, Big Phil hasn't a clue, just do nothing and it will go away etc.

Where in my post did I suggest ' just do nothing and it will go away.' I did not. You misinterpret my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The irony :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

.   A few of those who support water charges also supported the household charge,/ property tax/ broadcast tax/ fiscal treaty by looking back over past threads' coincidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement