Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Any chance this thread could head back in the direction of Irish water and PPS numbers or has it run out of steam?

From today's court hearing.
    Mr Berry said the Water Services Act granted a water service authority the capacity to seek injunctive relief for failure to comply with the act, very clearly limiting the ambit of that law to a water service authority, which the contractor engaged by Bord Gáis was not. It was a private company.

Judge Barrett said he would not impose any injunction on the defendants nor accept any undertaking from them but would put GMC Sierra's motion for attachment and committal to prison of seven of the nine defendants in the court list for hearing before the duty judge on Thursday.

Did no one drawing up legislation think of that?

They got quare value out of all those millions spent on consultancy alright.

There's not a snowballs chance in hell of anyone being imprisoned in that case on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    Anyone that disagrees with the charges, I'm not going to trawl the thread, do it yourself.

I didn't make the claim!

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Mmmmm, mention blueshirts on here and the personal abuse starts up. Funny that.

Wowzers

Talk about clutching at straws and seeing what you want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Wowzers

Talk about clutching at straws and seeing what you want to see.

So, your mate says that I 'own' my wife and sit on a porch with a gun and wait for government officials and you post a picture of cletus from the simpsons with a gun and beer, and that's not personal abuse?
    I've seen people banned for less on here.

So, your mate says that I 'own' my wife and sit on a porch with a gun and wait for government officials and you post a picture of cletus from the simpsons with a gun and beer, and that's not personal abuse?
    I've seen people banned for less on here.

I just pointed out that Cletus also has a gun and a wife, would you have been as offended if I had posted a picture of Brad Pitt? If you feel I have abused you then please feel free to report my post.

Edit: He is not my "mate" and I am offended by your insinuation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Johngoose wrote: »
    As for the Irish water "supporters" here, I think there is an element of "turkeys voting for Christmas" in your posts.I wouldn't be surprised if employees of Irish Water are encouraged to post on public forums such as this.Posts which are against water charges are being attacked strongly.Or it could be that some Irish citizens love paying taxes and charges!

All joking aside, I think there could be more than a grain of truth to what you say.
    Everyone on Boards join date and post count and more importantly the subjects they post on can be viewed by anyone.

I've seen it happen several times.
    Thread comes up. A week or two after the thread has got legs, you get new accounts posters getting stuck in.
    90% of their posts on any of the forums(and not just the one thread but anywhere on here that the issue is being discussed)are about the same subject.

The other 10% of their posts are basically "fillers" in other threads/forums.

Makes you all the more wary of the side their on imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Smidge wrote: »
    All joking aside, I think there could be more than a grain of truth to what you say.
    Everyone on Boards join date and post count and more importantly the subjects they post on can be viewed by anyone.

I've seen it happen several times.
    Thread comes up. A week or two after the thread has got legs, you get new accounts posters getting stuck in.
    90% of their posts on any of the forums(and not just the one thread but anywhere on here that the issue is being discussed)are about the same subject.

The other 10% of their posts are basically "fillers" in other threads/forums.

Makes you all the more wary of the side their on imo.

Why do you say joking aside? And what do you mean by a grain of truth. You should put your analytical skills to the record of Johngoose in this debate. As far as I can see he made his first contribution one day ago which was the following gem:

All Irish residents should be microchipped and there would be no need for PPS numbers.They should pay for the microchipping procedure themselves and the government could ensure every citizen would pay every single tax they owe...

He is just another of the anti everything brigade mocking and sneering at everything lawful and sensible. And you are hardly likely to be a supporter of water charges yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

Ogham wrote: »
    It is still planned to go ahead.

Thanks

A friend of mine has a leak on his property,thing is his mains pipe is located under thousands of euro worth of cobblelock,so he'll be delighted to hear that IW will fix this for free.

Why do you say joking aside? And what do you mean by a grain of truth. You should put your analytical skills to the record of Johngoose in this debate. As far as I can see he made his first contribution one day ago which was the following gem:

All Irish residents should be microchipped and there would be no need for PPS numbers.They should pay for the microchipping procedure themselves and the government could ensure every citizen would pay every single tax they owe...

He is just another of the anti everything brigade mocking and sneering at everything lawful and sensible. And you are hardly likely to be a supporter of water charges yourself?

Firstly, the joking aside was about him saying "turkey's voting for christmas" which as far as I have ever heard it used has been used in a humorous context.
    Secondly, I made my point about what I meant with there being imo more than a grain of truth in his post with regard to his thinking their may be people posting here with a vested interest and not from a lay point of view.
    I would have thought that was abundantly clear from my post.

Also, what's with the hostility and presumptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Remember when the blueshirts went to Europe to fight before? How did that go?

Ah in fairness at least they did side with the winners.

• Advertisement

Firstly, the joking aside was about him saying "turkey's voting for christmas" which as far as I have ever heard it used has been used in a humorous context.
    Secondly, I made my point about what I meant with there being imo more than a grain of truth in his post with regard to his thinking their may be people posting here with a vested interest and not from a lay point of view.
    I would have thought that was abundantly clear from my post.

Also, what's with the hostility and presumptions?

Staying with the birds theme.......

I think some pigeons may have come home to roost. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Second time in less then a week a big crowd have marched on a garda station, this time it was raheny, and this is before any bills arriving through letterboxs .

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1544073399155679&set=vb.1498119703751049&type=2&theater

S.O wrote: »
    Second time in less then a week a big crowd have marched on a garda station, this time it was raheny, and this is before any bills arriving through letterboxs .

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1544073399155679&set=vb.1498119703751049&type=2&theater

The scenes at Edenmore tonight.

Video doing the rounds now of gards knocking an elderly lady to the ground also. They'd be better remaining impartial, as they're obliged to be tbh.

The gards are doing themselves no favours acting as a private security firm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

The scenes at Edenmore tonight.

Video doing the rounds now of gards knocking an elderly lady to the ground also. They'd be better remaining impartial, as they're obliged to be tbh.

The gards are doing themselves no favours acting as a private security firm here.

Saw that video myself, she tripped over someone already on the ground. Granted the garda did move her over in that direction but he didn't "knock" her to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Any link?

I saw it on facebook.

Satriale wrote: »
    Any link?

I seen it on fb, cant link it as I only use an app on my phone.

Here's the scene, a group of people are being forced back from a mini digger, many with there arms in the air, I suppose to give a clear demonstration that they're not resisting or touching the gards.

A youngish man is on the ground, the gards are herding the crowd away, and the woman (in her 60s I'd say, possibly late 50s) gets pushed towards an area (not overly excessively, in the name of fairness, but pushed none the less) resulting in her stumbling in reverse over the lad on the ground. (to much uproar from the ever increasingly angry crowd)

Seriously, with the rise in camera phones, and social media etc, the gards would need to seriously reconsider their stance on this.

(It's had 22k, 624 views already btw) not even uploaded an hour yet.

Lots of angry comments on it too.

Edit, it's hit 23.5k views now, but was actually uploaded 13 hrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

"A banker, a job seeker & a FG voter get shipwrecked & end up floating on a raft with nothing but a 10-pack of Mars bars to sustain them. The banker announces that he is an expert in resource management & so for everyone’s good he should take charge of the food. He proceeds to open the pack & stuffs nine of them into his mouth. Once he’s swallowed the last he gives the remaining bar to the FG voter, saying: “I’d keep my eye on that job seeker, if I were you. He’ll be after your chocolate.”"
    — Christopher Brookmyre, When the Devil Drives

(Names have been changed)

Satriale wrote: »
    Any link?

Try the call for a revolution page on FB, it was posted about an hour ago.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203153460100255

TBF to the cops, it doesnt look like it was malicious to me, hope shes ok anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Same as-
    What happened our right to peaceful protest??
    That protest was peaceful from what I see...?

chasm wrote: »
    Try the call for a revolution page on FB, it was posted about an hour ago.

Just for pig iron, are we no longer constitutionally entitled to peaceful protest?
    Serious question.

I've just watched the video and all you can see is the guards pushing people practically non-stop.
    I also find it ironic that if there is a crime reported in any of these areas(Coolock, Edenmore, Tallaght etc)tonight, you wont get to see one guard never mind the amount that were there today :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Great to see the people of Ireland starting to get together and rise up basically against an inept Government.

However the media wont be covering it, as there reporting skills only reach the level of reporting on cats up trees and it was a sunny day today..

But very sad and disturbing to see the Gardaí been used as a private security force for Irish water.

Well, we have known for years they were only a private security force to successive Governments and more recently Oil companies.

Ireland has really turned into a FN Dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

flutered wrote: »
    nothing really changes here on boards, how come we have folks on here promoting fg like their income depend on it, on the run up to the las election there were people deleberatly goading others in order to get them baned and suceeding, a mod that i was debating with sent me a pm on a statment i made on another thread roughly six weeks earlier.

Kippure wrote: »
    Great to see the people of Ireland starting to get together and rise up basically against an inept Government.

However the media wont be covering it, as there reporting skills only reach the level of reporting on cats up trees and it was a sunny day today..

But very sad and disturbing to see the Gardaí been used as a private security force for Irish water.

Well, we have known for years they were only a private security force to successive Governments and more recently Oil companies.

Ireland has really turned into a FN Dump.

On a side note, thats exactly why police forces were set up in the first place.
    They were set up to protect the wealthy of the day.

Guess nothing really changes, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

On a side note, thats exactly why police forces were set up in the first place.
    They were set up to protect the wealthy of the day.

Guess nothing really changes, does it?

An Garda Síochána is the national police service of Ireland. The Mission of An Garda Síochána is Working with Communities to Protect and Serve.

Following the establishment of the Irish Free State in 1922, the Dublin Metropolitan Police merged with the recently established An Garda Síochána in 1925.

Today, An Garda Síochána is a community based organisation with over 14,500 Garda and Civilian employees, who serve all sections of the community.

Headquartered in Dublin’s Phoenix Park, we are represented in every county in Ireland, listening to, acting and working with the community. The current Interim Garda Commissioner is Nóirín O’Sullivan (Martin Callinan retired (LOL) on the 25th March 2014).

Some of An Garda Síochána’s core functions include:

•the detection and prevention of crime;
    ensuring our nation’s security;
    •reducing the incidence of fatal and serious injuries on our roads and improving road safety;
    working with communities to prevent anti-social behaviour;
    •promoting an inter-agency approach to problem solving and improving the overall quality of life.
    An Garda Síochána has a long established tradition of working closely with communities all across Ireland. By fostering and maintaining effective community partnerships, and ensuring a more visible Garda presence, we work to achieve a reduction in crime and the fear of crime in our communities.

I have high-lighted in red what they don't do anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

This will all end the same as that household charge, or whatever its called. People will be up in arms, shouting and ranting, but will ultimately pay up.

I wonder what will happen to me. I rent my house, its on a mains supply in the countryside. I have no PPS number and have never registered as being a resident here. I got a text message from the estate agents a couple of days ago saying I was to come in and register with Irish Water. I will not be doing it though, there is nothing in my tenancy stating I have to go anywhere and sign anything, so I will not be doing it.

Any idea what they could do?

Kippure wrote: »
    An Garda Síochána is the national police service of Ireland. The Mission of An Garda Síochána is Working with Communities to Protect and Serve.

Following the establishment of the Irish Free State in 1922, the Dublin Metropolitan Police merged with the recently established An Garda Síochána in 1925.

Today, An Garda Síochána is a community based organisation with over 14,500 Garda and Civilian employees, who serve all sections of the community.

Headquartered in Dublin’s Phoenix Park, we are represented in every county in Ireland, listening to, acting and working with the community. The current Interim Garda Commissioner is Nóirín O’Sullivan (Martin Callinan retired on the 25th March 2014).

Some of An Garda Síochána’s core functions include:

•the detection and prevention of crime; In certain areas and postcodes
    ensuring our nation’s security; And not just from the criminals who dont wear suits.
    •reducing the incidence of fatal and serious injuries on our roads and improving road safety;
    working with communities to prevent anti-social behaviour; Yeah right
    •promoting an inter-agency approach to problem solving and improving the overall quality of life.
    An Garda Síochána has a long established tradition of working closely with communities all across Ireland. By fostering and maintaining effective community partnerships, and ensuring a more visible Garda presence, we work to achieve a reduction in crime and the fear of crime in our communities. Visible presence? Effective community partnerships? When was the last time that anyone in any of these areas saw the same amount of guards that were involved in "policing" for IW, actually patrolling the area?

I have high-lighted in red what they don't do anymore.

I have agreed and added my own thoughts :)

This will all end the same as that household charge, or whatever its called. People will be up in arms, shouting and ranting, but will ultimately pay up.

I wonder what will happen to me. I rent my house, its on a mains supply in the countryside. I have no PPS number and have never registered as being a resident here. I got a text message from the estate agents a couple of days ago saying I was to come in and register with Irish Water. I will not be doing it though, there is nothing in my tenancy stating I have to go anywhere and sign anything, so I will not be doing it.

Any idea what they could do?

I'm confused :confused:
    You live here and work here but have no PPS??
    How come?

• Advertisement

Anyone for some more cronies?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-director-hired-as-personal-driver-by-minister-1.1945863

Hilary Quinlan said: “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement