Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Satriale wrote: »
    Anyone for some more cronies?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-director-hired-as-personal-driver-by-minister-1.1945863

Hilary Quinlan said: “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.”

Jesus, does arrogance know no bounds?
    Shameful dig at people less well off "Sure we were all eating out of bins 3 years ago"!!!!

WE, we???
    Not you, I'd wager :mad:

Also, really highlights how much of a "club" it is with the looking after its own comment. Should it not be "looking after the people that the people in politics are supposed to represent"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The resistance to Irish water seems to be very fragmented.

I see there is one big protest or something for the 31st of October.

Why don't all the leaders of these small groups get together from all over Ireland and have one big protest in Dublin over a weekend outside government buildings.

This needs to happen. As far as I can see the Irish people are been walked on, stood on and beat down.

Self-employed.

Still have to have a pps number for that in order to pay taxes etc.

How do you do that with no PPS?

Nice ninja edit there but still doesn't answer the question.
    How are you self employed and paying tax if you don't have a PPS?

Self-employed and tax is just wrong. Anyone from the common travel area can arrive without registering. Being self-employed and not being registered here means nobody will be looking for me as they wont even know I exist. In fact I've had to give permission for Garda data access from some of the companies I represent and every time the Gardai state they have no record of me, and that is accepted as me not having a criminal record.

So wait......
    What you are saying is you are self employed but NOT paying tax?
    You may be able to arrive here and not register but why would you think that was legal if you are working here?

Essentially, you are saying you are working here, not registered in the country, not paying taxes because no-one knows you exist????

I'm curious to know, what the nature of your self employment entails?

That is exactly what I am saying. I do not believe in taxes. I am quite content to just get on with my life looking after myself. I pay enough tax on things I buy.

There are thousands of self-employed jobs out there, with virtually no chance of being traced.

So you just believe in taxes on goods and pay for that.

Am I right in thinking you do not believe in or pay any other taxes?

• Advertisement

That is exactly what I am saying. I do not believe in taxes. I am quite content to just get on with my life looking after myself. I pay enough tax on things I buy.

There are thousands of self-employed jobs out there, with virtually no chance of being traced. Anyway Im not here to discuss that, I was interested in what they would do about the water seeing as I am not going to register. The water in my tap is useless anyway, when they start compensating me for all of the kettles/washing machines/shower heads they have destroyed, I might consider paying, but until then no. I have to buy bottled water from he supermarket to put in my coffee machine as it cost €3k and I'm not ruining it.

Another ninja edit...

I'm interested in your situation and how you don't pay tax, is there a way you can do that?

You want to be compensated for your appliances?
    Why would you think you would be entitled to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Seeing as the charges have been announced and people will definitely be getting bills I have a question. Where will the ringleaders (the ones conducting the mob in "Shame on You") in these videos be whenever the bills arrive into ordinary people's homes and they have to be paid? Can an ordinary person go to one of the agitators who invaded their locality to get them to help with the bill?

These are the tactics of the very small Trotskyite minority in this country who have no interest in the lives and affairs of ordinary private property owners. They are on a futile path leading to nowhere except misery for anyone gullible enough to swallow their propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So the news is in
    The Commission for Energy Regulation has announced that customers of Irish Water are to have their metered charges capped at an assessed rate for the first nine months of use.

The Regulator has also revealed that home owners who receive water which is not fit for human consumption will not have to pay any water supply charge.

Under the charges announced today, a family of two adults and two children will pay an annual water bill of around €278
    Those without meters will pay an annual rate of €176 for a household with one adult - or €278 for a home with two adults.

Children will be given a free allowance of 21,000 litres.

Let the ranting continue.

The scenes at Edenmore tonight.
    Video doing the rounds now of gards knocking an elderly lady to the ground also. They'd be better remaining impartial, as they're obliged to be tbh.
    The gards are doing themselves no favours acting as a private security firm here.

Oh, dear, Banjo. Don't think she'll like being called elderly! Middle aged, yes, but not elderly! If she was watching where she was going, she'd have seen the lad lying on the ground! What was he up to anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

Those without meters will pay an annual rate of €176 for a household with one adult - or €278 for a home with two adults.

Let the ranting continue.

So I can claim for one adult instead of two and save €102 per year in an unmetered house?

• Advertisement

Oh, dear, Banjo. Don't think she'll like being called elderly! Middle aged, yes, but not elderly! If she was watching where she was going, she'd have seen the lad lying on the ground! What was he up to anyway?

Ah i wouldn't be bothering with their sensationalizing of a minor incident like that ffs she even smiles when she hits the ground, And then the scummer in the background telling her to stay down and calling for an ambulance ffs another waste of resources that would be better of used elsewhere but diverted because of these tools.

Seeing as the charges have been announced and people will definitely be getting bills I have a question. Where will the ringleaders (the ones conducting the mob in "Shame on You") in these videos be whenever the bills arrive into ordinary people's homes and they have to be paid? Can an ordinary person go to one of the agitators who invaded their locality to get them to help with the bill?
    These are the tactics of the very small Trotskyite minority in this country who have no interest in the lives and affairs of ordinary private property owners. They are on a futile path leading to nowhere except misery for anyone gullible enough to swallow their propaganda.

They will be the same place as all those Solicitors who were going to defend those who refused to pay the Household Charge - invisible!

So I can claim for one adult instead of two and save €102 per year in an unmetered house?

I presume so, They only ask for one adult PPS number anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

All we have to do is to encourage people not to fill in the form in the first place, then ignore further correspondence. The worst case scenario is that your water supply flows to a trickle, which can easily be reversed, once again something that has been pointed out several times on here. Am I the only one who reads a thread before posting? :-D

All we have to do is to encourage people not to fill in the form in the first place, then ignore further correspondence. The worst case scenario is that your water supply flows to a trickle, which can easily be reversed, once again something that has been pointed out several times on here. Am I the only one who reads a thread before posting? :-D

No the worse case scenario is
    • you get a bill,
    • refuse to pay the bill,
    • get taken to court and ordered to pay the bill,
    • refuse to still pay the bill,
    • get a court judgement against you,
    • have your possessions seized and sold,
    • get a really ****ty credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How can it be easily reversed? And is it legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

All we have to do is to encourage people not to fill in the form in the first place, then ignore further correspondence.

Yep - the same awld ****e that was posted in the HHC and property tax threads.
    How'd that work out?

Luckily most people realise that if we wish to live in a society with decent services, those have to be paid for.

There's only a small minority of parasites that who believe that they shouldn't have to pay for anything, and they're easily rooted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

so if i dont have a meter, how will they know when the 21000 liters are used? (per child?)

can i ring them and request a meter to be installed straight away? if these charges are the case i'd much prefer a meter so i can control how much water i use (my German heritage means i am quite used to conserving water, so no issues there :P) rather than being at the mercy of some random calculation.

this whole thing is a joke (dont mind paying for water per se, just the way this whole enterprise has been set up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

smash wrote: »
    Would you just agree with every new tax that screws you over just because it's a law?

Yes indeed, very worrying to see how encouraging people to refuse to pay a new government mandated charge is somehow seen as being subversive or "Trotskyist" (as if anyone who says that has actually read any of his works).

The debate so far seems to have been bogged down by a refusal of each side to listen to the other's point of view.

I for one am prepared to concede that the treatment and delivery of water does cost money. I also understand that we do have an enormous amount of wastage (although mainly due to poor infrastructure and leaking pipes).

I don't condone anyone attacking those who install water meters as I am refusing to register or pay, so what does it matter what a meter outside my house says?

If the government needs more money to bolster our water system, I'd support taking this money from tax, simply because any charge paid would be proportional to a person's income ; poor families who don't pay much tax would pay very little, the rich would pay more - this isn't quasi-Marxism ; it's how taxation works pretty much everywhere.

We've already heard that the USC will be reduced over a number of years ; why not simply keep it where it is for the next five or so to give us the resources to mend all the leaky pipes? We'd save millions of gallons of perfectly good water which is quite literally going down the drain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is there a device or app that can read my water meter without me having to physically go to the meter.

Laziness I know, but it is a pain in the arse having to pry open the lid, take out the foam, peer down in to the hole and read the number - 1st world propblem I know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I worked out that the €176 rate is based on a daily usages of 180L of water.
    Who the hell uses 180L of water a day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

What happens if you dont receive your pack? ( I have not)
    No pack, no info given, no bill?
    If they, the supplier fail to do their job then surely they cannot wrongfully bill me neither can they expect me to facilitate them in doing their job so that they can get cash out of me....
    Or is this wishful thinking:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Yes indeed, very worrying to see how encouraging people to refuse to pay a new government mandated charge is somehow seen as being subversive or "Trotskyist" (as if anyone who says that has actually read any of his works).

The debate so far seems to have been bogged down by a refusal of each side to listen to the other's point of view.

I for one am prepared to concede that the treatment and delivery of water does cost money. I also understand that we do have an enormous amount of wastage (although mainly due to poor infrastructure and leaking pipes).

I don't condone anyone attacking those who install water meters as I am refusing to register or pay, so what does it matter what a meter outside my house says?

If the government needs more money to bolster our water system, I'd support taking this money from tax, simply because any charge paid would be proportional to a person's income ; poor families who don't pay much tax would pay very little, the rich would pay more - this isn't quasi-Marxism ; it's how taxation works pretty much everywhere.

We've already heard that the USC will be reduced over a number of years ; why not simply keep it where it is for the next five or so to give us the resources to mend all the leaky pipes? We'd save millions of gallons of perfectly good water which is quite literally going down the drain at the moment.

But aren't the working people already subsidising those unemployed enough? I would rather everyone pay equally for the water they use than have to pay more taxes to cover my water usage and the unemployed neighbours' usage especially considering they are using more water than me based on the fact they spend far more time at home than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sorry, how did you work that out? I take it as being 99l a day

Unless of course you are taking just in incoming/outgoing charge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I linked an article earlier in the thread that showed the average adult consumption last year as 160 litres a day.

I guess they like rounding up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

The assessed charges are ridiculous in so many ways.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What happens if you dont receive your pack? ( I have not)
    No pack, no info given, no bill?
    If they, the supplier fail to do their job then surely they cannot wrongfully bill me neither can they expect me to facilitate them in doing their job so that they can get cash out of me....
    Or is this wishful thinking:confused:

You can sign up on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

So am i reading this right that whether i conserve water or leave the tap running 24/7 for the first 9 months i will pay the same amount or am i missing something here ?

jonny24ie wrote: »
    You can sign up on their website.

Don't you need an application and PIN? I guess you could ring up and ask for it maybe.

• Advertisement

sammy37 wrote: »
    So am i reading this right that whether i conserve water or leave the tap running 24/7 for the first 9 months i will pay the same amount or am i missing something here ?

No. If your water usage exceeds the assessed charge then it will be capped. If you conserve and it's less than the assessed charge you will pay less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement