Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

And internet anonymity is a great way to make baseless accusations to muddy the debate.

That works both ways as you've shown.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    You do know what 'tax non domicile' means, don't you?
    You know, like the blueshirts buddy who gets phone license's, water meter contracts, debts written off at our expense etc etc etc.....

Don't forget about those bondholders now.

Rabble, rabble, rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

sammy37 wrote: »
    Dont know what to say to this really but its a case of i am alright jack to hell with the rest.Now i know there are people who wont pay for anything but there is also genuine people out there who cannot afford this bill and i know some myself and whats your brilliant idea -deprive them of water a basic human right.Hope everything continues rosy in your garden anyway.

Ah come on now in all fairness I would guarantee that 99% of the people that claim they 'cant afford to pay' have a sky subscription, broadband, smoke, drink etc. maybe not all of the above but certainly at least one or two.

Water is a necessity however people seem to think Sky is, Broadband is and Cigarettes are. Anyone claiming they cant afford to pay would seriously need to examine their finances and their spending of their income on such luxuries.

Lol. They expect 80%to be metered by the end of 2016.

You're advocating they spend even more of the cash provided to them disconnecting homes?

Without customers, they fail, they bankrupt themselves.

Your masterplan has a few flaws in it.

No flaws at all, disconnect people that don't sign up to be a customer, means you aren't supplying people who don't want water with water. To supply someone who decides they don't want it would be a complete and utter waste of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

geeksauce wrote: »
    True, but if somebody declares that they don't want to receive water then just disconnect them, they cant really complain after that and there is no point in IW supplying someone with water when they can be pretty confident payment will be withheld.

Possibly but they're not doing that for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »

Don't want to upset anyone, don't want to be seen to be a big bad company instead they have this softly softly approach asking people to pay for water while putting a smile on. PR nonsense would make you sick,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They are not doing that because we always take what we see as the easy option. No TD wants to actually say the truth in that if you don't want to pay don't use the service.

Apart from those people who laready have their own water services (septic tank etc) and therefore won't be paying anyway, I doubt many would actually opt to remove themselves from the system

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Ah come on now in all fairness I would guarantee that 99% of the people that claim they 'cant afford to pay' have a sky subscription, broadband, smoke, drink etc. maybe not all of the above but certainly at least one or two.

Water is a necessity however people seem to think Sky is, Broadband is and Cigarettes are. Anyone claiming they cant afford to pay would seriously need to examine their finances and their spending of their income on such luxuries.

Speaking for myself I dont have sky nor do i smoke and i will struggle with this bill. We all might not have it so great as you unfortunately. And anyway i hate that crap that we should give up our "luxuries" and hand it over to the government for yet another bill .

Speaking for myself I dont have sky nor do i smoke and i will struggle with this bill. We all might not have it so great as you unfortunately. And anyway i hate that crap that we should give up our "luxuries" and hand it over to the government for yet another bill .

No you don't give up your luxuries and hand to the government, you ensure you have the necessities before spending money on luxuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

kneemos wrote: »
    Anybody mention what happens about who pays for replacing meters?presumably they don't last forever?
    They are the property of IW, so presumably there would be no direct cost to the consumer for replacing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

. And anyway i hate that crap that we should give up our "luxuries" and hand it over to the government for yet another bill .

Aww diddums.

Why don't you go live on a rock then and do without clean water, sewerage, infrastructure, education, health and SW systems so?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Satriale wrote: »
    Anyone for some more cronies?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-director-hired-as-personal-driver-by-minister-1.1945863

Hilary Quinlan said: “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.”

To this you can add the fact that 3 IW emplyees are still claiming pensions from their old jobs with Local Authorities. Irish Independent.

Anger is growing among the population,of course there will be people who will divulge their PRIVATE info & pay up without question, but by the day the numbers of those who see this for the pot of gold the Govt have created for themselves & their friends are rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Still, no matter peoples opinion on the need for water charges, this whole IW has been a shambles from the moment it was set up.

It is clear that decisions are being made on the back of public reaction rather than on any particular plan. It is therefore fairly clear that IW will become the play thing of each government.

If the government want to impose water charges then so be it, make a cogent arguement and set up a facility to properly and fairly charge people for it.

The system is so full of holes it is unbelievable that €50m+ was spent on consultants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

No flaws at all, disconnect people that don't sign up to be a customer, means you aren't supplying people who don't want water with water. To supply someone who decides they don't want it would be a complete and utter waste of water.

You think Irish Water want to divert private company sub contractors around the country to disconnect people from the mains, rather than install meters, which generate revenue :confused:

I'm sure it will be no less harmful to their coffers than investing in metering, and in turn will create a return from those willing to engage with them.

But hey, if you think it's a good idea, I'm all for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    That works both ways as you've shown.....

Who have i accused?

Aww diddums.

Why don't you go live on a rock then and do without clean water, sewerage, infrastructure, education, health and SW systems so?

Whats with the smart arse comment i have paid all my bills but said i will struggle to pay this one and i dont have these so called luxuries. It must feel great to able to sneer at people less well off than you .A lovely trait to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

zerks wrote: »
    To this you can add the fact that 3 IW emplyees are still claiming pensions from their old jobs with Local Authorities. Irish Independent.

Anger is growing among the population,of course there will be people who will divulge their PRIVATE info & pay up without question, but by the day the numbers of those who see this for the pot of gold the Govt have created for themselves & their friends are rising.

The cer confirmed this morning that he cut a quarter of a billion of what Irish Water submitted what they thought was a fair start up package to run the scam.

That's some fat trimmed before they even got started.

Plus, he estimates they have 1600 surplus staff needed, not council staff being retained mind, new staff employed in Irish Water.

Shows what way this quango is headed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Whats with the smart arse comment i have paid all my bills but said i will struggle to pay this one and i dont have these so called luxuries. It must feel great to able to sneer at people less well off than you .A lovely trait to have.

You should have joined a political party...'they look after their own'.
    Bet this guy has no problems meeting his bills and having his luxuries.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-director-hired-as-personal-driver-by-minister-1.1945863

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

What I don't understand is how easy it would be for Irish Water to ensure everyone returns their forms. All they have to say is IW are now supplying your water from the 1st October, if you wish to receive this water complete and return the packs straight away, if no pack is received from you we will assume you do not wish to be a customer of IW and will disconnect your supply to ensure you are not billed.

That's probably what will happen in due course. As someone else pointed out here, the main focus for the immediate future will be the installation of meters. But once that's more or less done, they'll start cutting people off or down to a trickle.

No one is forcing anyone to take water from IW - you can stick rain barrels out or a big collection tank. But people will have to pay for disposal of waste water anyways if they are connected to public sewerage, regardless of where they get their H2O from.

There's a lot to be said for it - you folks complaining about the costs here are just not aware of the costs associated with installing and running a private well and ditto for septic tank, effluent systems etc.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Still, no matter peoples opinion on the need for water charges, this whole IW has been a shambles from the moment it was set up.

It is clear that decisions are being made on the back of public reaction rather than on any particular plan. It is therefore fairly clear that IW will become the play thing of each government.

If the government want to impose water charges then so be it, make a cogent arguement and set up a facility to properly and fairly charge people for it.

The system is so full of holes it is unbelievable that €50m+ was spent on consultants.

Seeing as the govt. were insistent on bringing in water charges,why couldn't they have simply kept the LA's in charge of water provision (they are responsible for maintaining the network for the next decade anyway) and use some of the money from the Property Tax to pay for it rather than giving it to bondholders.
    The Irish way of course is set up a new quango with the same old "jobs for the boys" mentality and create a massive trough for the pigs to dip their snouts into.To add insult to injury this quango want our most sensitive information & refuse to tell anyone what they really intend to do with it.
    I listen to The Last Word a lot & this topic comes up time & again,yet each & every time Irish Water refuse to go on the show to answer questions or clarify things.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You should have joined a political party...'they look after their own'.
    Bet this guy has no problems meeting his bills and having his luxuries.

That really makes me boil. Was that job even advertised. I thought all that ****e would have been finished when fianna fail were booted out but its as bad as ever i see. Getting more disillusioned by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,086 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

zerks wrote: »
    Seeing as the govt. were insistent on bringing in water charges,why couldn't they have simply kept the LA's in charge of water provision (they are responsible for maintaining the network for the next decade anyway) and use some of the money from the Property Tax to pay for it rather than giving it to bondholders.
    The Irish way of course is set up a new quango with the same old "jobs for the boys" mentality and create a massive trough for the pigs to dip their snouts into.To add insult to injury this quango want our most sensitive information & refuse to tell anyone what they really intend to do with it.
    I listen to The Last Word a lot & this topic comes up time & again,yet each & every time Irish Water refuse to go on the show to answer questions or clarify things.

This is the key thing and the reason people should be intolerant to it by not paying a cent demanded by IW.

The County Councils are DOING EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE BEFORE with water services, now there is a layer of unnecessary quango bureacracy on top of that.

The Commissioner admitted it himself on Morning Ireland this morning. He said the Commission calculated the charges based on a figure submitted by Irish Water that they told him would be needed to RUN Irish Water for the next two and a half years. What the hell has that got to do with consumption???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

That really makes me boil. Was that job even advertised. I thought all that ****e would have been finished when fianna fail were booted out but its as bad as ever i see. Getting more disillusioned by the day.

FG are smart enough to run Ireland well enough.

But they are genetically addicted to stroke pulling & cute hoorism, so the trust from the people just isn't there.

What I find baffling is the fact that some people are still blissfully unaware what's going on & would fill in these forms without question.Do some people not read the news or pay attention to what's going on in the country?
    I spoke to one of these the other day & he was shocked when I told him that IW want PPS numbers without any real reason as to why.He didn't even seem aware of the fact that IW will be sending out these forms.It's people like this that the govt love.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's amazing how water services have been supplied for years through general taxation but now that a separate billing system is coming in for water, general taxation will remain unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

BarryD wrote: »
    No one is forcing anyone to take water from IW - you can stick rain barrels out or a big collection tank. But people will have to pay for disposal of waste water anyways if they are connected to public sewerage, regardless of where they get their H2O from.

There's a lot to be said for it - you folks complaining about the costs here are just not aware of the costs associated with installing and running a private well and ditto for septic tank, effluent systems etc.

I do i have my own, it cost a lot to install.

People on here are posting as if irish water own the infrastructure that will carry and clean the water. They dont, the general public do.

But what we will end up with is some grubby back room deal done to sell off our assets, and you will tell me they are doing us a favour. Bless you master sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

It's amazing how water services have been supplied for years through general taxation but now that a separate billing system is coming in for water, general taxation will remain unchanged.

In fairness our water infrastructure is under funded and in tatters. Whether it needs an Irish Water to fix this is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

except for a cut in the top tax rate, which will only significantly benefit those who can well afford to pay water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In fairness our water infrastructure is under funded and in tatters. Whether it needs an Irish Water to fix this is another thing.

So will IW receive funding from state coffers as well as billing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

except for a cut in the top tax rate, which will only significantly benefit those who can well afford to pay water charges.

This is news!

What is the new upper rate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement