Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

hitbit wrote: »
    Am I entitled to ask Irish Water to prove that they are billing me correctly and that the quantity I am being charged for corresponds with the meter reading. Will they send someone to show me the readings are correct.
    When Electric Irl or Bord Gais come to read their meters I can verify that I am charged in accordance with the meter reading and so am assured that I am being charged only for electricity/gas that I have actually used.

Hitbit
    You can just check the reading on the bill against the reading on the meter - same as gas or electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭bladespin

Phoebas wrote: »
    That isn't correct.

Never said it was, just thought it might be but thanks for the info, I'll be asking the ES to calibrate the meter too as it's overdue at this stage surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

lacco wrote: »
    Yes you are absolutely right the government have off loaded the problem and yes yet again we are the losers. My point was that 40 million has already been wasted on consultants who haven't even managed to get the basics right and have obviously no understanding of adding value for the customer judging by the level of dissatisfaction people feel and the mess that the whole thing now is .People are just being walked over left, right and centre. But I don't think people will realise what they are letting themselves in for till the bills starting rolling in and by then it will be too late.

Oh, I agree with your point, hence my "money spinner for the lads", which includes the taxpayers money pissed away on "consultants". No doubt some of which were buddies of the heads of IW etc.

Cronyism didn't die with Fianna Fail's failure.

You can just check the reading on the bill against the reading on the meter - same as gas or electricity.

I'm sure they will have both previous and current readings on the bill or at least a way to prove them out, the meter we have is a very simple unit, just like an old tape deck counter if you old enough to know what that is lol Commodore 64 days came piling back as soon as I opened the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My water meter is outside on the footpath. I have no access to it. I would like to be in a position to read it so I can compare bills with previous ones in the future.
    Am I entitled to access my water meter please?

• Advertisement

My water meter is outside on the footpath. I have no access to it. I would like to be in a position to read it so I can compare bills with previous ones in the future.
    Am I entitled to access my water meter please?

You don't have access to the footpath? Seriously, just lift the cover and have a look, you'll be amazed.

What about houses that have no meter?

How do they challenge IW's "estimate" (which will no doubt be over the odds)?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Tony EH wrote: »

No meters means they are on an assessed charge, there are no readings to compare

Funnily enough IW actually state on their website that there is no real reason for you to check the meter as they will do all the readings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

bladespin wrote: »
    Never said it was, just thought it might be but thanks for the info, I'll be asking the ES to calibrate the meter too as it's overdue at this stage surely.

Let us know how the calibration goes :)

cocoman wrote: »
    Let us know how the calibration goes :)

As a calibration engineer I know how difficult and expensive electrical equipment can be to calibrate (not necessarily the case with a meter but not sure) but I know if you're paying for what flows through a meter then you're entitled to know it's accurate.

Scratch that,just got the procedure from a friend it's incredibly simple, I'll do it when I get home :) The techie in me is smiling as I type lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You don't have access to the footpath? Seriously, just lift the cover and have a look, you'll be amazed.

Will do.
    Didn't think I was permitted as I was not given a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

You don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

As a calibration engineer I know how difficult and expensive electrical equipment can be to calibrate (not necessarily the case with a meter but not sure) but I know if you're paying for what flows through a meter then you're entitled to know it's accurate.

Yet there has (afaik) never been a question about electricity/gas meters being calibrated before. If anyone does ring up ESB/BG and ask for/about calibration of the meters and how they go about getting it done, please record the conversation, you can edit out all of the laughter though thanks.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    No meters means they are on an assessed charge, there are no readings to compare

Funnily enough IW actually state on their website that there is no real reason for you to check the meter as they will do all the readings!

So, one just has to "believe" Irish Water?

:pac:

Yet there has (afaik) never been a question about electricity/gas meters being calibrated before. If anyone does ring up ESB/BG and ask for/about calibration of the meters and how they go about getting it done, please record the conversation, you can edit out all of the laughter though thanks.

Yes there has, I've posed it to the ESB before and it was taken very seriously (on a much larger device), their standards and testing department are a force to be reckoned with and don't laugh at very much in my experience.

Yes there has, I've posed it to the ESB before and it was taken very seriously (on a much larger device), their standards and testing department are a force to be reckoned with and don't laugh at very much in my experience.

I should have mentioned that i meant asked on here, And i am talking about domestic meters in the home. Terrible when you have to spell everything out to folk :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

So, one just has to "believe" Irish Water?

:pac:

Sure that quango wouldn't lie, would they?

I should have mentioned that i meant asked on here, And i am talking about domestic meters in the home. Terrible when you have to spell everything out to folk :rolleyes:

Domestic Smartmeter connected to a wind turbine good enough for you? If so the yes, they are calibrated in/out, the inverters converting the power too.

No need to spell anything out other that what you're entitled to or not thanks.

All these PS/semi-state lads on here all day berating the rest of us for refusing to play the game and keep their trough full.
    Is that what I pay my taxes for??

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Sure that quango wouldn't lie, would they?

Oh they are just a quango now? When did they lose their "SUPER" quango status?

• Advertisement

LOL. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When they ballsed up the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You should try using the search function of Boards in future before you talk through your calibration port. :D

The Esb have no problems if you query the meter. I know somebody that did. He pulled the main fuse and the meter was still clocking up units. They came out and sorted it. (Exceptional workers worth every penny they earn).

All these PS/semi-state lads on here all day berating the rest of us for refusing to play the game and keep their trough full.
    Is that what I pay my taxes for??

Wait til IW is privatized and their jobs are shipped off to a centre in India ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

ESB meter calibration is interesting.

About a month ago we got a new meter when doing an extension.
    A new unit with no visible wheel turning & a digital readout.

I was surprised by how few units we were using.

Did a 2 week test & its just under 20% less units totted up vs previous weeks.

Wait til IW is privatized and their jobs are shipped off to a centre in India ;)

Being so short sighted, most of these people can't see that far ahead.

And it will be privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Well the call centre is currently in Cork.

So at least the accents will be easier to understand if moved to India!

And it will be privatised.

A company limited by shares, so it said on the pack they sent, if that isn't prep for sale nothing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

So at least the accents will be easier to understand if moved to India!

I bet they are getting it in the neck at the moment.

• Advertisement

Isn't that the same call centre who had employees asking for peoples credit card details, illegally, regarding the property tax?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement