Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭bladespin

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I bet they are getting it in the neck at the moment.

I do feel sorry for them, very unpopular item and a tough job, like the banks before the people on the ground take the abuse while the fat cats carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Yet there has (afaik) never been a question about electricity/gas meters being calibrated before. If anyone does ring up ESB/BG and ask for/about calibration of the meters and how they go about getting it done, please record the conversation, you can edit out all of the laughter though thanks.

What's so funny about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

ESB meter calibration is interesting.

About a month ago we got a new meter when doing an extension.
    A new unit with no visible wheel turning & a digital readout.

I was surprised by how few units we were using.

Did a 2 week test & its just under 20% less units totted up vs previous weeks.

It may be that you are using more power as you approach the winter, heating? lights on earlier? extra lights in the new extension?

It would be worth giving them a ring about it, they may credit you some units if you have a valid query.

They wont laugh at you anyway, i can assure you of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Satriale wrote: »
    It may be that you are using more power as you approach the winter, heating? lights on earlier? extra lights in the new extension?

It would be worth giving them a ring about it, they may credit you some units if you have a valid query.

They wont laugh at you anyway, i can assure you of that.

That's the thing.
    Consumption should have been higher, there was more lighting & appliances used..... (We weren't doing laundry or cooking in the house during the final stage of construction)

But the day-on-day number of units used was markedly lower compared to previous bills.
    It should be higher with greater consumption.
    But the daily/weekly average was lower vs bills from May/June.

But I digress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

People not metered, and receiving letters from iw addressed to the occupier/home owner.

What's gonna happen them when they refuse to engage? As some are suggesting that they will be took to court, can a house be summonsed?

Without a name to summons, how will that go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bladespin wrote: »
    You don't have access to the footpath? Seriously, just lift the cover and have a look, you'll be amazed.

Lifted the lid with a screwdriver and guess what -- no meter in hole.
    This crowd are not ready yet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And that's the reason behind 9 months of set billing before they even read a meter.
    Imagine the uproar if the likes of Sky or Eircom decided "ah sure,we'll pick a figure & charge you that for 9 months before we actually start billing you properly"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lifted the lid with a screwdriver and guess what -- no meter in hole. This crowd are not ready yet at all.

Get the feeling this is what the whole cap thing is about rather than softening the blow on the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

People not metered, and receiving letters from iw addressed to the occupier/home owner.

What's gonna happen them when they refuse to engage? As some are suggesting that they will be took to court, can a house be summonsed?

I assume that IW will just look up the registered owner of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Reminded me of the lad who was asked for his name by the tv licence inspector.
    The lad flat out refused to give his name and told the inspector to keep sending the letter to the occupier.

The letters stopped coming - i know this cause it's my eejit of a brother!!

• Advertisement

cocoman wrote: »
    I assume that IW will just look up the registered owner of the property.

If it was that easy....
    Why not do that to begin with so?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why spend time and money doing that when most people are going to self-declare themselves as the bill payer. Would be a waste of money.

Oh Oscar....

You're saying that like Irish Water have any respect for the tax payers time and money.

Interesting to note, double jobber Hilary Quinlan has resigned from the board though.
    Hilary Quinlan has resigned from the board of the semi-State company Irish Water.

His decision follows reports today that the Minister of State at the Department of the Environment had hired him as his personal driver.

It is understood Mr Quinlan cited the perception of a possible conflict of interest as reason for his resignation.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hilary-quinlan-resigns-from-board-of-irish-water-1.1946849

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I looked at mine the other evening and at first glance it looked like an empty hole, but there was a sheet of polystyrene covering the meter.

Why spend time and money doing that when most people are going to self-declare themselves as the bill payer. Would be a waste of money.
    But how would we all rage against the machine then? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Phoebas wrote: »
    But how would we all rage against the machine then? :(

Plenty of fockin' machine still left to rage against.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

ah i just filled out the form online and now after reading all this regret it :'(:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dorito92 wrote: »
    ah i just filled out the form online and now after reading all this regret it :'(:'(

Go ahead and withdraw it and ask them to expunge your data, as you're entitled to do.

Plus it'll really wind them up...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Phoebas wrote: »
    I looked at mine the other evening and at first glance it looked like an empty hole, but there was a sheet of polystyrene covering the meter.

Nothing in mine at all except a bit of plastic and a leaflet at the bottom.

Anyone got a picture of what a completed water meter looks like please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I wonder would I be getting metered.

I live in rural Ireland. Outside many houses or properties are these colourful small stone slabs kind of things with circle or square thing at the end. These are the meter holes I presume. Many of my neighbours have these.

I remember about April or May workers working on the roads doing these.

This meters have been made/built into the ditches.

We didn't get s meter outside our property. A pipe was pulled up from the ditch and that was it. They left a pipe poking up from the ditch. No stone slab. No circle/square door.

Something else. Since those lads came about, around the same time that they were working on the roads outside peoples houses. The cold tap in the bathroom stopped up and water doesn't come out. I wonder would this problem be connected with the works that went on.

Another problem I have. These meters are in the ditches outside peoples properties. They are so open and exposed. I persume it will be illigal to tamper with these. What's stopping a neighbour, maybe someone you fell out with or someone who's old and bitter and loves trouble, as examples, from walking about in the middle of the night tampering with the meter, ducking things up for you. Either your bill or water supply or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Go ahead and withdraw it and ask them to expunge your data, as you're entitled to do.

Plus it'll really wind them up...

how though? send them an email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

I wonder would I be getting metered.

I live in rural Ireland. Outside many houses or properties are these colourful small stone slabs kind of things with circle or square thing at the end. These are the meter holes I presume. Many of my neighbours have these.

I remember about April or May workers working on the roads doing these.

This meters have been made/built into the ditches.

We didn't get s meter outside our property. A pipe was pulled up from the ditch and that was it. They left a pipe poking up from the ditch. No stone slab. No circle/square door.

Something else. Since those lads came about, around the same time that they were working on the roads outside peoples houses. The cold tap in the bathroom stopped up and water doesn't come out. I wonder would this problem be connected with the works that went on.

Another problem I have. These meters are in the ditches outside peoples properties. They are so open and exposed. I persume it will be illigal to tamper with these. What's stopping a neighbour, maybe someone you fell out with or someone who's old and bitter and loves trouble, as examples, from walking about in the middle of the night tampering with the meter, ducking things up for you. Either your bill or water supply or whatever.

Well I think you should make them come back and fix it or at least look at it if you don't feel it's tamper proof You could take a photo of it and pop it in the post ( registered of course) along with a letter outlining your dissatisfaction.Your concerns are valid after all you are the one paying the bill.Speak up and voice your concerns anyway and I'm sure others on here will give you advice as well. Good luck! Wouldn't let them away with anything though.

Don't know anything about the tap perhaps it's related but maybe a plumber on here could advise you. Have heard that some peoples places are being left in a mess after the installation but really don't know if that is true or not but as I say I have heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eeepaulo wrote: »
    The childrens allowance is probably some sort of nod towards creating a society, where we take care of those less able.
    Caliden wrote: »
    Like other utilities, will there be the possibility of other water companies starting up or will Irish Water have a monopoly?
    This is what I also wondered. Paying people are in effect subsidising those people getting it free, so I suppose they could afford to offer it cheaper.

I wonder if other utility companies will start giving free allowances to children, or if people will start campaigning for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The cap on costs for metered users is due to run for 9 months from the installation of the meter. So after 9 months I am expected to pay for all the water I use but others, without meters, are free to use whatever they want?

How is that even close to being acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Oh Oscar....

You're saying that like Irish Water have any respect for the tax payers time and money.

Interesting to note, double jobber Hilary Quinlan has resigned from the board though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hilary-quinlan-resigns-from-board-of-irish-water-1.1946849

You know, back in the day, we'd never have heard of all the cronyism, nepotism and corruption that exists in government/civil service/public service/semi-state.
    Thank God for the internet and people knowing how to use it, this and all the other shennagians that go on all the time are being exposed more and more.
    Hopefully it'll see the end of the FFailures and the blueshirts, two party's that have screwed us over ever since the formation of the state.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The cap on costs for metered users is due to run for 9 months from the installation of the meter. So after 9 months I am expected to pay for all the water I use but others, without meters, are free to use whatever they want?

There are many thousands of people around the country who have been asking the same question for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Leroy42 wrote: »

If the neighbour is on the assessment charge run a hose into your place

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If your meter is on your property and you don't pay your water tax, how can IW come on to your property to "turn down" your pressure?

If you had large gates and a high wall can they just hop over and interfere with the meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

None of this is correct.

In fairness he did post without the usual blueshirts, FFailures, semi-state, public sector blah-blah-blah tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Specialun wrote: »
    If the neighbour is on the assessment charge run a hose into your place

I am supposed to tell my kids to watch how they use the water, don't water the plants or wash the car when people living in unmetered houses are having wet t-shirt competitions and water balloon fights!

A Utliity company that cannot work out a way to charge many of its customers for the utility? They are saying that by the end of 2016 they will have 80% metered (although what the 80% is actually based on is unknown). But even if we take 1.35m households, that is still 270k customers who will continued to pay without any knowledge of how much of the utility they are using!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement