Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I am supposed to tell my kids to watch how they use the water, don't water the plants or wash the car when people living in unmetered houses are having wet t-shirt competitions and water balloon fights!

A Utliity company that cannot work out a way to charge many of its customers for the utility? They are saying that by the end of 2016 they will have 80% metered (although what the 80% is actually based on is unknown). But even if we take 1.35m households, that is still 270k customers who will continued to pay without any knowledge of how much of the utility they are using!!!!

Woooo wooo

Complain all you want, just dont stop the wet tshirt comp ok

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can envisage an awful lot of dirty smelly feckers walking around when this is up and running. Personal hygiene is bound to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

just checked the meter there and it is totaly submerged.
    it also has been running.does everyones read at zero or is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can you see the dial or face of it without getting down on your knees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

I can envisage an awful lot of dirty smelly feckers walking around when this is up and running. Personal hygiene is bound to suffer.

Sales of lynx, baby wipes and dry shampoo will sky rocket!!!
    And you can always go to your local pool for a shower.
    Dig a hole in the garden for your toilet facilities.

Happy days!!!

If none of the above will be known as the dirty Irish as we were apparently years ago in England I think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

Can you see the dial or face of it without getting down on your knees?

no had to get down and scoop out about 14 inches of waterthe meter read 80,000
    asked the neighbours and their meters are running too.
    im in a corner and the further up the road you go the less water is in the meter

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

People not metered, and receiving letters from iw addressed to the occupier/home owner.

What's gonna happen them when they refuse to engage? As some are suggesting that they will be took to court, can a house be summonsed?

Without a name to summons, how will that go?

Yeah, got one of those addressed to the occupier...popped it in the nearest postbox...four days later received one with a name on it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

What if you dont sign a contract with IW can they prosecute you even though you have no contract with them? Not planning to do this myself btw but i know a lot who are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

sammy37 wrote: »
    What if you dont sign a contract with IW can they prosecute you even though you have no contract with them? Not planning to do this myself btw but i know a lot who are.

Thee forms IW are sending out are not contracts and a signature is not required. If you don't answer the questions and return the form you will still get a bill but you won't get any allowances which means you'll pay more. If you don't pay the bill it will be the same as if didn't pay any bill, you'll eventually end up in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Thee forms IW are sending out are not contracts and a signature is not required. If you don't answer the questions and return the form you will still get a bill but you won't get any allowances which means you'll pay more. If you don't pay the bill it will be the same as if didn't pay any bill, you'll eventually end up in court.

The bill they sent to my house was in the name of someone who doesn't legally use that name now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    The bill they sent to my house was in the name of someone who doesn't legally use that name now.

You have received a bill already?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

No escape so time for the water butts and pottys and to hell with bathing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

All Meters are running since installation. They store the month end readings and those are picked up by "drive by" readers sometime in the next 3 months.
    It's like Magic !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

With no meter, where's evidence someone used any water supplied from the mains, or if you dispute the estimated charges (you've been abroad for 3 months with work) how do you prove Irish Water have grossly over estimated?

Luckily here in Ireland, Courts tend to rely on evidence of some kind for prosecutions. (is this still the case or has Enda changed that now tioo) ?

You have received a bill already?

Sorry, the pack.
    Sent it back, registered, with a note.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Apparently your private information, which likely includes your PPS number, will be used for marketing and shared with third parties unless you specifically opt out by writing to them or calling them.

http://www.water.ie/data-protection-notice/#comp0000541aaeef000000021d1938

Marketing

Irish Water and/or authorised agents acting on behalf of Irish Water may wish to contact the customer by text message, email, post, landline or in person about water related products or services which may be of interest to the customer ("Marketing Purpose").

If the customer does not wish to be contacted for Marketing Purposes as set out above, the customer may exercise a right of opt-out by either writing to Irish Water at FREEPOST, Irish Water, Data Protection Opt-out, PO Box 860, South City Delivery Office, Cork City or by calling Irish Water on 1890 278 278.

How about an opt-in system, you snakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Zillah wrote: »
    Apparently your private information, which likely includes your PPS number, will be used for marketing and shared with third parties unless you specifically opt out by writing to them or calling them.

http://www.water.ie/data-protection-notice/#comp0000541aaeef000000021d1938

Marketing

Irish Water and/or authorised agents acting on behalf of Irish Water may wish to contact the customer by text message, email, post, landline or in person about water related products or services which may be of interest to the customer ("Marketing Purpose").

If the customer does not wish to be contacted for Marketing Purposes as set out above, the customer may exercise a right of opt-out by either writing to Irish Water at FREEPOST, Irish Water, Data Protection Opt-out, PO Box 860, South City Delivery Office, Cork City or by calling Irish Water on 1890 278 278.

How about an opt-in system, you snakes?

That is bollox, why can't they just have a box to say opt out/in. Having to send another letter saying you opt out, how much information have you to put on that so they get the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Zillah wrote: »

IW has already clarified this.

It relates to the inclusion of advertisements (leaflets) with IW bills, such as already happens with other service providers.

The company has said it will not be sharing client information with other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

That is bollox, why can't they just have a box to say opt out/in. Having to send another letter saying you opt out, how much information have you to put on that so they get the right person.

There is an option for this on the application form, well the one you receive in the post anyway, not sure about the online form.

conorh91 wrote: »

The company has said it will not be sharing client information with other companies.

The company has also stated on it's website that it can't guarantee the security or privacy of your personal details.

• Advertisement

The company has also stated on it's website that it can't guarantee the security or privacy of your personal details.
    Yeah, that's a very standard clause. Even banks say that. It's basically a warning that hackers exist. It doesn't affect the company's data protection obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

conorh91 wrote: »

Funny.....

They had this up on their website until last week.
    Irish Water may disclose the Customer’s data to third parties in the event that it sells or buys any business or assets, in which case it may disclose Customer data to the prospective seller or buyer or such business or assets; if Irish Water or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case Customer data held by it about its Customer will be one of the transferred assets

But as this was quickly picked up by various media outlets, they quickly removed all references to it from the site.

(sourced https://www.water.ie/data-protection-notice/ 05/09/2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭cena

Can the social welfare contact Irish water looking for your details etc. Seeing as they want everyone's pps number

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Please name me ONE company that can.

How secure is the information held by Landlords on their tenants, including PPS Numbers?

With no meter, where's evidence someone used any water supplied from the mains, or if you dispute the estimated charges (you've been abroad for 3 months with work) how do you prove Irish Water have grossly over estimated?

Luckily here in Ireland, Courts tend to rely on evidence of some kind for prosecutions. (is this still the case or has Enda changed that now tioo) ?

You can refuse to pay your utility bill and go all the wayvto court and stand there trying to get one over on "the man" and still have to pay your bill plus a fine, or you can grow up a bit, cut back a bit on your water wastage, try and put aside a couple of €s for your bill and get on with your life. Either is good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

How secure is the information held by Landlords on their tenants, including PPS Numbers?

I'm pretty sure landlords don't have the pps numbers of their tenants. I rented before and I was never asked for a pps number. Why would a landlord need the pps number of a tenant?

lacco wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure landlords don't have the pps numbers of their tenants. I rented before and I was never asked for a pps number. Why would a landlord need the pps number of a tenant?

Since 2007 landlords are legally obliged to register all their tenants PPSNs with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

lacco wrote: »
    Rent allowance?

• Advertisement

Funny.....

They had this up on their website until last week.
    Right, so if it's not part of their terms any more, I'm not seeing the relevance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement