Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

lacco wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure landlords don't have the pps numbers of their tenants. I rented before and I was never asked for a pps number. Why would a landlord need the pps number of a tenant?
    For the PRTB.

If your PPS details were not sought, I'd suspect your tenancy was not properly registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm pretty sure landlords don't have the pps numbers of their tenants. I rented before and I was never asked for a pps number. Why would a landlord need the pps number of a tenant?

Try renting now without handing over your PPS number and a copy of your bank statement.

It is a legal requirement, IF your Landlord is registered, that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

conorh91 wrote: »
    For the PRTB.

If your PPS details were not sought, I'd suspect your tenancy was not properly registered.
    heh, well what do you know, I've never had a registered tenancy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

How secure is the information held by Landlords on their tenants, including PPS Numbers?

Landlords are not entitled to a tenants ps number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

conorh91 wrote: »
    For the PRTB.

No, it was pre 2007 before the PRTB.

Really?

Head over to the accomodation forum and tell them that and see how long it takes you to get shot down.

Oh, yes they are.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    You can refuse to pay your utility bill and go all the wayvto court and stand there trying to get one over on "the man" and still have to pay your bill plus a fine, or you can grow up a bit, cut back a bit on your water wastage, try and put aside a couple of €s for your bill and get on with your life. Either is good for me.

So you don't have a clue I take it?

Any of my other utility bills have some kind of reading, and if I'm out of the country for a few months with work or whatever, in the case of gas for example, I wouldn't expect to receive a bill.

What differs with Irish Water? How would a judge entertain any such arguments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

If the government use the pps numbers of tenants then why were so many household tax's assigned to the wrong people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Yes they are. In fact they are legally obliged to provide PRTB with their tenants PPSNs

No mention of it here.

Q11. When should I not use my PPS No.?

A11. You should not use your PPS Number or Social Services Card in ordinary commercial transactions. For example, the number or the Social Services Card should not be requested by or given to a retailer as proof of identity or for any other reason when making a purchase, availing of a hiring service etc.

http://m.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-PPS-Number-Frequently-Asked.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As other have said, indeed they are. And to give you an idea of how secure that info is with a landlord, my brother was considering just sticking his tenants' PPSNs on the Irish Water form for his rented apartment, as he was concerned that they wouldn't sign up themselves.

We and Irish Water warned him off doing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mentioned here though

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/registering_a_tenancy.html
    New tenancies must be registered within a month of the start of the tenancy. Landlords are responsible for registration. The tenant must give their details to the landlords (including theirPersonal Public Service Number (PPSN)) and sign the form when requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

I have a question. Havent opened my pack as my tap water isn't drinkable. It tastes like chemical piss. Wasn't bad when I lived in d15 but I live in town in an apartmenrt and have had to fork out over 300 per annum on bottled water. I heard today that we won't have to pay for drinking water if water isn't for for human consumption. Do I need to get a testing kit for that or is this something irish water provide?

I'm not giving them my pps number. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There doesn't need to be. There is a statutory basis for it

From the ODPC
    11.3 Can my Landlord request my PPSN?

Yes, there is a statutory basis for a landlord to seek the PPSN of their tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 and section 11 of the Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004. This information is required for registration with the Private Residential Tenancy Board (PRTB). However, Landlords are authorised to use the PPSN of tenants for registration with the PRTB only. No other use should be made of the PPSN and it must be kept confidential. Further information is available on the PRTB website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

T-Maxx wrote: »
    In fairness he did post without the usual blueshirts, FFailures, semi-state, public sector blah-blah-blah tripe.

Somehow that ludicrous post of Fr. Ted re a search warrant and trespassing just disappeared, along with the one quoting him... What's going on here mods?

Back to Law School for Banjo. Refresher course needed.

• Advertisement

mojesius wrote: »
    I have a question. Havent opened my pack as my tap water isn't drinkable. It tastes like chemical piss. Wasn't bad when I lived in d15 but I live in town in an apartmenrt and have had to fork out over 300 per annum on bottled water. I heard today that we won't have to pay for drinking water if water isn't for for human consumption. Do I need to get a testing kit for that or is this something irish water provide?

Try putting a bottle of tap water into the fridge. It always tastes better very cold.

We may as well put an end to this thread. There could be thousands of dodgy landlords out there doing nefarious things with people's PPS numbers and posters here are more concerned about giving them to Irish Water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We may as well put an end to this thread.

You'd love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Im afraid the fact that you just don't like the taste of your tap water isn't enough to exempt you from water charges.
    Certain communities in the west of Ireland mainly have a "Boil water notice" administered by their LA. These are the folk who are exempt .if you don't give your PPSN you will get an even bigger bill then need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You should get onto IW about that.
    That might cause a problem getting your water tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Okay- I'm a non customer ( group scheme and own septic tank)
    If I ignore this " pack" what in all honesty can IW do?
    Why would I open a letter from
    A random utility company with whom I have no dealings??
    Finally I guess they will send a bill but so what?
    They don't provide me with anything so they can't chase a bill with the courts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Quick question. On the Irish Water website it says if you don't sign up you will be charged €424. Is this instead of what your billed or on top of?

barney 20v wrote: »
    They don't provide me with anything so they can't chase a bill with the courts etc

You just tick the sections that says that you are on a group water scheme and have a septic tank and return form without PPS or any other info. Ignore letter and you get billed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Please name me ONE company that can.

I'm happy enough just naming this company, who can't, considering it's this company that's the subject of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

barney 20v wrote: »

Why wouldn't you just tell them that you aren't a customer?
    If you don't its very possible that they bill you. If you ignore the bill its possible that they try to enforce payment. It could lead to your credit rating being damaged and then it'll be you that has to chase them to get it fixed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement