Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

mojesius wrote: »
    I have a question. Havent opened my pack as my tap water isn't drinkable. It tastes like chemical piss. Wasn't bad when I lived in d15 but I live in town in an apartmenrt and have had to fork out over 300 per annum on bottled water. I heard today that we won't have to pay for drinking water if water isn't for for human consumption. Do I need to get a testing kit for that or is this something irish water provide?

I'm not giving them my pps number. No way.

I'd say get on to them as well.
    If you're getting no where with them ie they don't want to hear about it or test it for you you could always get it tested independently at a lab or the testing kit as you. I'd imagine the lab test would be more comprehensive though. If it's as bad as you say you shouldn't be expected to pay for it. I know exactly what you mean by ' chemical *iss

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

barney 20v wrote: »
    Okay- I'm a non customer ( group scheme and own septic tank)
    If I ignore this " pack" what in all honesty can IW do?
    Why would I open a letter from
    A random utility company with whom I have no dealings??
    Finally I guess they will send a bill but so what?
    They don't provide me with anything so they can't chase a bill with the courts etc
    Well, I would advise you to open it, tick a few boxes relevant to your circumstances , send it back in the prepaid envelope and that's the end of your dealings with IW.

Or you could just ignore it, happy in the knowledge that you have "stuck it to the man" ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭bladespin

Please name me ONE company that can.

Totally agree, though that should not exempt IW or any other company from being expected to keep the information secure if they want to hold onto it, otherwise they shouldn't look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

They don't provide me with anything so they can't chase a bill with the courts etc

Which is easier?
    A. Go online spend less than 2 minutes to register that you are not a customer , or
    B. Ignore this pack, ignore another pack. Get a bill ignore that get a reminder ignore that. Ignore a final reminder. Ignore phone calls from IW . Ignore fone calls from their debt collector . Ignore a summons. Be convicted in your absence.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Which is easier?
    A. Go online spend less than 2 minutes to register that you are not a customer , or
    B. Ignore this pack, ignore another pack. Get a bill ignore that get a reminder ignore that. Ignore a final reminder. Ignore phone calls from IW . Ignore fone calls from their debt collector . Ignore a summons. Be convicted in your absence.

Or don't ignore the summons, show in court, look for costs from IW as you're not a customer and therefore are under no obligation to them, enjoy a nice big dinner at their expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

bladespin wrote: »
    Or don't ignore the summons, show in court, look for costs from IW as you're not a customer and therefore are under no obligation to them, enjoy a nice big dinner at their expense.

Yeah. Deffo do this. That's a really good idea. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is very unwise to offer legal advice. Did you actually research whether IW would be liable for costs in such a case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Is the Lord paying for his water?

Yes because that's a very very realistic scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Back to Law School for Banjo. Refresher course needed.

Fair enough, my only excuse was I was reading something else online earlier ref landlords asking tenants to provide them with pps numbers (for Irish water)

Various advice given was not to be giving them, landlords had no right to them etc etc.
    Moral of the story, don't read believe everything you read online.

My legal expertise isn't in property or tenancy laws either I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

In your dreams! It's up to YOU to let them know that you aren't a customer! That is if you've registered your septic tank!

It is very unwise to offer legal advice. Did you actually research whether IW would be liable for costs in such a case?

I'm not offering any advice legal, just a possible scenario, just like the post I was replying to.

Don't really see how can you be summonsed for a bill you can prove you don't have to pay? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    I'm happy enough just naming this company, who can't, considering it's this company that's the subject of the thread.

That's because there is no company on the planet that can make that promise but that doesn't fit into your little rant does it. You can claim all you like that IW cannot guarantee the security of customers personal details but it tells a lot when you refuse to acknowledge that this is the case with ALL companies.

Is the Lord paying for his water?

As the Good Lord lives in New York City ,then yes. Yes He does.

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Quick question. On the Irish Water website it says if you don't sign up you will be charged €424. Is this instead of what your billed or on top of?
    Unmetered Homes:
    Householders without meters that do not respond will be charged the full amount (water and waste water) for two adults without the free allowance – i.e. an annual charge of €424. (For large households that could work out cheaper in some cases!)

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/category/water-charges

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    As the Good Lord lives in New York City ,then yes. Yes He does.
    what lord is that?

In your dreams! It's up to YOU to let them know that you aren't a customer! That is if you've registered your septic tank!

Like I suggested, show up in court, prove you're not a customer, you're entitled to your expenses for your appearance. You are obliged to the court but unless you use their service you're not obliged to a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Registered your septic tank or not, why would that matter?

Totally agree, though that should not exempt IW or any other company from being expected to keep the information secure if they want to hold onto it, otherwise they shouldn't look for it.

They do keep it secure the same as your bank does and your credit union does and yoir workplace HR department does. What they don't do and cannot do (or any other company) is GUARANTEE that information is 100% secure because that is impossible to do.

Like I suggested, show up in court, prove you're not a customer, you're entitled to your expenses for your appearance. You are obliged to the court but unless you use their service you're not obliged to a company.

By letting the case get so far, you will be hit even harder! Yes, you won't owe the company anything, but you sure as Hell will owe the Court service for wasting its time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mikom wrote: »
    Registered your septic tank or not, why would that matter?

By law every septic tank has to be registered and the registration charge paid. Ever before IW. And yes I know, you don't have to obey the law if you don't agree with it (in your parallel universe).

Why look for costs? The first thing the judge would ask you is did you fill out the info pack informing IW that you are on a group.scheme and therefore not a customer. The moment you say no he will laugh you out of court and probably award costs against.

what lord is that?

The Good Lord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

Barney I was talking to a guy the other day in a similar situation to you but he has his own well and septic. He's stumped and hasn't a clue about irish water because he says it's got nothing to do with him and he is not nor never will be a customer.

The people here on this forum in favour of water charges will tell you to pay because xy and z will happen to you if you don't. The people against the charges will tell you not to pay because xy and z won't happen to you. So it's hard to know sometimes what to think.

You could talk it over with other people in the group scheme see what they think.
    You could get advice from your solicitor.
    You could listen to other people here on the forum and read back over the thread, it's gone over a hundred pages now!!

By letting the case get so far, you will be hit even harder! Yes, you won't owe the company anything, but you sure as Hell will owe the Court service for wasting its time!

Emm, think it'll be whoever brings the case that's wasting the court's time, a non customer is under no obligation.

Do you really think a company can send a bill to someone who is not a customer and then take them to court for non payment and the court will find for the company???? I know our legal system can be a bit funny from time to time but IMO that's just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

so what did they use as a basis for the 'assessed rate'? cant find that info anywhere.

also, can I apply to have a meter installed instead of being assessed? I think the allowances are way too high (yes, I just made my German mother go through our old water bills at home, just for the craic :cool: and the usage for 4 adults was significantly below the assessed volume here, so I'd rather have a meter than pay a flat fee for water I dont actually use....:mad:

By law every septic tank has to be registered and the registration charge paid. Ever before IW. And yes I know, you don't have to obey the law if you don't agree with it (in your parallel universe).

It was only a fiver to register at the time, if you did so by the deadline.

Why look for costs? The first thing the judge would ask you is did you fill out the info pack informing IW that you are on a group.scheme and therefore not a customer. The moment you say no he will laugh you out of court and probably award costs against.

Is that legal advise I see before me???

Are you qualified to give this and bear inmind it's against boards rules. ;)

Is that legal advise I see before me???

Are you qualified to give this and bear inmind it's against boards rules. ;)

Please show me the part you consider to be legal advice so we can all laugh at you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it's unlikely you'd get costs awarded against you, but certainly any costs you were awarded will at best cover the expense to you of going to court, but it won't cover the hassle of it. Unless you're a masochist who enjoys wasting their own time and stressing themselves out, just confirming the status of your water connection will save yourself a big headache.

IW don't want the headache themselves anyway. I'd put good money on them sending people out to all of the non-responders over the next nine months to talk to them and find out that info rather than waste time chasing people who don't owe anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement