Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    You can refuse to pay your utility bill and go all the wayvto court and stand there trying to get one over on "the man" and still have to pay your bill plus a fine, or you can grow up a bit, cut back a bit on your water wastage, try and put aside a couple of €s for your bill and get on with your life. Either is good for me.

It has also been posted several times on this thread that as per IW own admittance that if there is any shortfall due to the conservation of water, IW will be upping the rates/charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

TheZohan wrote: »
    I've no problem with public sector workers or semi-state, but I do have a problem when they are being disingenuous by shilling. They should at least have the decency to state their affiliation.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Look, it's obvious that some on here are PS/semi-state and need the trough to be kept full to keep them in the lifestyles they've become accustomed to.
    You won't see them pointing out the pay levels of their equivalents in the UK though......or in any country in a bailout for that matter!

Here's some pictures of troughs.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=trough&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mygrVN9BybTtBpWogNAJ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1131&bih=513

Smidge wrote: »
    It has also been posted several times on this thread that as per IW own admittance that if there is any shortfall due to the conservation of water, IW will be upping the rates/charges

Lots things have been posted here several times. Many of them untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

The ordinary "low to middle earner" never gets a look in when the economy in the North is being discussed. How they are being screwed with such high property taxes. Here it's as if nobody has any money to pay any taxes.

This is a thread about an asset in ireland.

• Advertisement

The ordinary "low to middle earner" never gets a look in when the economy in the North is being discussed. How they are being screwed with such high property taxes. Here it's as if nobody has any money to pay any taxes.

We're not discussing the economy in the north.
    We're discussing the blueshirt's latest super quango, the one set up to be sold on in a few years to some of their buddies like 'tax non dom', the same 'tax non dom' they sold siteserv to after writing off €100 million in debt (debt that we the taxpayer will have to pay) and then handed him the water meter contract.
    Sure what's a meter contract or an auld phone license between friends, eh?

We're not discussing the economy in the north.
    We're discussing the blueshirt's latest super quango, the one set up to be sold on in a few years to some of their buddies like 'tax non dom', the same 'tax non dom' they sold siteserv to after writing off €100 million in debt (debt that we the taxpayer will have to pay) and then handed him the water meter contract.
    Sure what's a metwr contract or an auld phone license between friends, eh?

I'm disappointed. No mention of the trough.

Yep, third row down, the one on the left. Look at the sense of entitlement.
    It's like they're waiting for the farmer (private sector) to come and fill it up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

In the north, propert domestic rates cover health care, bins, they don't have vat, nor tolled roads.

In this utopia I now live in, I'm taxed at 52% on my income my car tax is just shy of 700 per annum. In the north it would be £150 (i think, I'm down here 8years and can't be arsed looking it up)

They also have no vrt, and 2% lower vat than us, oh, and no USC. (i pay more than, but less than 4k a year) on that.

I reckon they're alright up north tax wise.

Lots things have been posted here several times. Many of them untrue.

So you are saying as per IW's own correspondence with householders is incorrect?
    I won't be going back over the whole thread to find it, its on here and you have been on this thread as long as anyone else so I'm sure you have seen it.

• Advertisement

I'm disappointed. No mention of the trough.

That would be 'tax non dom's' trough.....

In the north, propert domestic rates cover health care, bins, they don't have vat, nor tolled roads.

In this utopia I now live in, my car tax is just shy of 700 per annum. In the north it would be £150 (i think, I'm down here 8years and can't be arsed looking it up)

They also have no vrt, and 2% lower vat than us, oh, and no USC. (i pay more than, but less than 4k a year) on that.

I reckon they're alright up north tax wise.

No pussyfooting around either if you don't pay up. Bankruptcy and seizure of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

No pussyfooting around either if you don't pay up. Bankruptcy and seizure of the house.

Is that the model you are aiming for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Must be that time of night...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    When all else is failing, have a pop at Sinn Fein. So predictable.

Agree with Fr. Ned.
    Having a pop as SF is shooting fish in a barrel and just too easy. Not worth bringing into this conversation.

And i pointed out that I pay more on USC alone How much is it up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Agree with Fr. Ned.
    Having a pop as SF is shooting fish in a barrel and just too easy. Not worth bringing into this conversation.

At least they let us know that Ministers and Ministers of State get a waiver. Which is more than our lazy arse bought media and other political parties did.

And i pointed out that I pay more on USC alone How much is it up there?

With your big car and that sort of income your sound like a regular tycoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It is very unwise to offer legal advice. Did you actually research whether IW would be liable for costs in such a case?

You should check that out and get back to us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

No NI rates don't cover all of that.

The monies for NI rates are largely used to pay for local services (parks etc) and they also cover 6% of the cost of regional services (health etc).

The other 94% of the monies for regional services come from Westminster.

NI is a massive net recipient of such spending (approx 10.8K spending per person in NI V's 8.5K per person in England). And, to add to that - in the UK, standard rate taxpayers are typically net recipients (in terms of government spending), higher rate ones are net contributors. NI has the lowest %age of higher rate taxpayers in the UK and highest rate of standard rate ones, hence puts comparatively little into the Westminster pot, while getting lots from it.

So, if you can find someone to subsidy what the government here (in the RoI) spends on us, you too can enjoy the NI magic of high government expenditure and low tax payments. If you can't, our choices amount to forgoing such a lifestyle or calling the IMF back in when we wake up and realise this is unaffordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Phoebas wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you just tell them that you aren't a customer?
    If you don't its very possible that they bill you. If you ignore the bill its possible that they try to enforce payment. It could lead to your credit rating being damaged and then it'll be you that has to chase them to get it fixed.

Payment of what???
    I can't pay them for something they didn't supply- hypothetical question btw folks.
    Credit rating being damaged ? By not paying for something I'm legally not obliged to pay for at all? Ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

View wrote: »

The monies for NI rates are largely used to pay for local services (parks etc) and they also cover 6% of the cost of regional services (health etc).

NI is a massive net recipient of such spending (approx 10.8K spending per person in NI V's 8.5K per person in England). And, to add to that - in the UK, standard rate taxpayers are typically net recipients (in terms of government spending), higher rate ones are net contributors. NI has the lowest %age of higher rate taxpayers in the UK and highest rate of standard rate ones, hence puts comparatively little into the Westminster pot, while getting lots from it.

So, if you can find someone to subsidy what the government here (in the RoI) spends on us, you too can enjoy the NI magic of high government expenditure and low tax payments. If you can't, our choices amount to forgoing such a lifestyle or calling the IMF back in when we wake up and realise this is unaffordable.

Excellent post.

It's pointless comparing the economy of Northern Ireland to the Republic or any other proper free standing country.

It's real easy to have low taxes and good public services when another powerhouse economy is funding it all instead of native taxes being used to cover costs. There's a reason Scotland didn't leave the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Smidge wrote: »

IW are aiming to.make a profit.I understand that to be one of the objectives of any business. Whats your point? Also, if you have been connected to the public water mains and sewage until now then you could say you had a "contract" with the LA. That is, they supplied you with clean water and took away your dirty water. There was no charge for this. Now IW have taken over the contract and they will be charging.
    Im not saying that its either right or fair but it's happening in 7 minutes and that's it. People need to stop pointless fist shaking.

View wrote: »

Excellent post.

It's pointless comparing the economy of Northern Ireland to the Republic or any other proper free standing country.

It's real easy to have low taxes and good public services when another powerhouse economy is funding it all instead of native taxes being used to cover costs. There's a reason Scotland didn't leave the UK.

Take it up with Belfast city council so.

Rates

In Northern Ireland, rates are a property tax based on the capital, or market value of homes.

Rates of non-domestic properties, such as businesses and offices, are based on the rental value of your property.

The income from this tax contributes towards the cost of providing local government services, such as leisure services and bin collections, and central government services, such as education and health. 

And....
    Your rates bill

Your rates bill is made up of two parts:

District rateThe district rate is fixed annually by individual councils and is used to pay for services such as bin collections, recycling and waste disposal, leisure services, street cleaning and parks.

Lying bastards.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/council/rates/whatarerates.aspx

Excellent post.

To be fair though anyone with a nice house has to pay a big whack of property tax. This one would be around £1550 a year. Thats £30 a week or so out of earned income. Sinn Fein are getting away with the big lie that they don't agree with tax on the family home.

http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Armagh/CBF668258/73-Keady-Road/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

To be fair though anyone with a nice house has to pay a big whack of property tax. This one would be around £1550 a year. Thats £30 a week or so out of earned income. Sinn Fein are getting away with the big lie that they don't agree with tax on the family home.

SF? You're in Dundalk, you should know that there are no politicians as crooked as FG in Dundalk, bunch of gangsters...literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

They are very polite as he would have seen if he had opened the pack.

What if I am not a customer of Irish Water?
    If you are not supplied by the public water main and are not connected to a public sewer, then you are not a customer of Irish Water. To ensure that we do not contact you again, we ask that you complete the application process.

Unless he has some political motivation in refusing to complete the application form I don't see any good reason otherwise. Not doing so will result in them contacting him again, if I interpret the above correctly.

Holy conclusion jumping Batman!!

No political motivation , opened and read the "pack" - I'm under no obligation to respond in any way to IW about my personal circumstance.

They can "ask" all they like - I've 100% got nothing to do with them.
    That's about it really !

My situation is as described - rural group scheme and septic tank

Ps I rent and the "pack" was addressed
    " to the occupier"
    They may take him to court to try charge him for something they don't provide!

Ps our group scheme is great- €60 a year for perfect water!!
    We've meters in since mid 2012- know all the lads involved, a proper civilised way of doing business!

3rd time I've asked on this thread alone.

Most of us (well, me anyway) pay more than double that 1500 on USC alone.

I've still to pay aes for my bins, still got to pay for the kid(s) Book fees, still got to pay the gp, still got toll charges, still pay over 2%more on most products that are vat applicable, and still get my income taxes at 52%.

Why are you refusing to acknowledge or engage in conversation on these facts?

We've had Enda's cronyism, relating in mcnulty withdrawn from the Seanad bye elections, Frank Feighan assaulting a member of the public, hillary Quinlan resigning from his role on IW, despite being rejected in his constituency.

Labour have been at their work too with another reject appointed to a state body.

Is this the start of the end?

Dunno. Someone seems worried though.

barney 20v wrote: »
    Holy conclusion jumping Batman!!

No political motivation , opened and read the "pack" - I'm under no obligation to respond in any way to IW about my personal circumstance.

They can "ask" all they like - I've 100% got nothing to do with them.
    That's about it really !

My situation is as described - rural group scheme and septic tank

Ps I rent and the "pack" was addressed
    " to the occupier"
    They may take him to court to try charge him for something they don't provide!

We've meters in since mid 2012- know all the lads involved, a proper civilised way of doing business!

Thank you for sharing. A slightly tidied up version would enlighten IW and obviate the need as they probably see it to make further contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

barney 20v wrote: »

What subsidy does the scheme receive from public funds pray tell ?

• Advertisement

You can refuse to pay your utility bill and go all the wayvto court and stand there trying to get one over on "the man" and still have to pay your bill plus a fine, or you can grow up a bit, cut back a bit on your water wastage, try and put aside a couple of €s for your bill and get on with your life. Either is good for me.
    IW are aiming to.make a profit.I understand that to be one of the objectives of any business. Whats your point? Also, if you have been connected to the public water mains and sewage until now then you could say you had a "contract" with the LA. That is, they supplied you with clean water and took away your dirty water. There was no charge for this. Now IW have taken over the contract and they will be charging.
    Im not saying that its either right or fair but it's happening in 7 minutes and that's it. People need to stop pointless fist shaking.

Seems to be some contradiction between these two posts of yours there mrsbyrne.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement