Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

What subsidy does the scheme receive from public funds pray tell ?

I'd call the treasurer to ask him but it's 12:16 am....
    The scheme is in place since the 1970's we pay for it ourselves - eg we bought land last year to protect the treatment plant from agricultural residue for circa €100,000 all funded by group members

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I'm a little worried, Im a tenant, LL said the meters are in, but NO ONE has gotten a "pack" and we can't apply online, because we've no code and PIN.....

anyone in this situation?!

Thank you for sharing. A slightly tidied up version would enlighten IW and obviate the need as they probably see it to make further contact.

Every house in my parish and the neighbouring two are on the group scheme or private wells - the nearest IW pipe is approx 14 km
    Away
    How can they spend €181 million and not know this?
    Surely the obligation is on them to know the facts and not effectively send junk mail to thousands of folk in my area?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

barney 20v wrote: »
    Every house in my parish and the neighbouring two are on the group scheme or private wells - the nearest IW pipe is approx 14 km
    Away
    How can they spend €181 million and not know this?
    Surely the obligation is on them to know the facts and not effectively send junk mail to thousands of folk in my area?

They could have made it the law that every householder had to register without any contact whatsoever. That happened with the Household Charge. And with the NPPR under the previous government. It's all a relic of the abandonment of domestic rates nearly 40 years ago. There are databases of sorts now which enabled them to write to people. I really don't think it is too much of an undertaking to spend two minutes letting them know you aren't on their system. That will allow them to make the database. If it existed already your neighbours and the million plus other premises would be on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

They could have made it the law that every householder had to register without any contact whatsoever. That happened with the Household Charge. And with the NPPR under the previous government. It's all a relic of the abandonment of domestic rates nearly 40 years ago. There are databases of sorts now which enabled them to write to people. I really don't think it is too much of an undertaking to spend two minutes letting them know you aren't on their system. That will allow them to make the database. If it existed already your neighbours and the million plus other premises would be on it.

Are you genuinely proposing that LAWS should be changed in order for IW to operate????

• Advertisement

Smidge wrote: »
    Are you genuinely proposing that LAWS should be changed in order for IW to operate????

Are you aware of the Water Services Act legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Did anyone think of the bottoms? Do you know how much water you need to douche???

Are you aware of the Water Services Act legislation?

No and quite frankly I could safely assume that neither are 98% of the rest of the lowly of this country.
    Still doesn't take away from the fact that you would like laws changed to facilitate a utilities company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Laws have already been introduced and changed.

Why should I help a billing company set up ANY database??
    It's a point of principle for me..
    I'm being coerced into contacting a group/company I'm nothing to do with.

They don't know who lives here so if I respond as " the occupier" will that suffice?
    That's how they addressed me remember!

• Advertisement

Why should I help a billing company set up ANY database??
    It's a point of principle for me..
    I'm being coerced into contacting a group/company I'm nothing to do with.

They don't know who lives here so if I respond as " the occupier" will that suffice?
    That's how they addressed me remember!

If it's a point of principle that's fine.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Laws have already been introduced and changed.

Not in the way the dx was proposing as he posed it as a question.

Not in the way the dx was proposing and he posed it as a question.

You misunderstood. I didn't propose anything, just pointed out that legislation can and has obligated citizens to provide information without any written request being issued. And ignorance of the law is no defence as the people who did not pay their NPPR found out.

In the case of IW the relevant legislation did not go down this route and I am not proposing that it should. But they are a legal entity now and citizens will have to pay them money when the bills arrive. Not filling in a simple form will only complicate the lives of those who are minded not to do so on principle or for any other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You misunderstood. I didn't propose anything, just pointed out that legislation can and has obligated citizens to provide information without any written request being issued. And ignorance of the law is no defence as the people who did not pay their NPPR found out.

In the case of IW the relevant legislation did not go down this route and I am not proposing that it should. But they are a legal entity now and citizens will have to pay them money when the bills arrive. Not filling in a simple form will only complicate the lives of those who are minded not to do so on principle or for any other reason.

It will complicate the life of IW a lot more. Bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Choodefat

'Nations' with a lot of mass non-involvement don't pull any plugs...
    Could be anytime here right now...

So no, I didn't misunderstand. You have just worded if differently this time ie that legislation CAN be changed as opposed to your previous post where you said LAWS can be changed.

Also with regard to them being a legal entity, where does a utility companies legal remit end?
    If you don't enter into a contract with them, how can the LAW force you into it?

And furthermore dx, "Ignorance of the law"?
    Are you expecting every person to know the ever changing statute book in its entirety?

For fear of hav

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Seb_bixby wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been answered here but does anyone know why it is a household allowence of 30,000l that is being given and not a per person allowance.

since its a household allowance and not a personal one and a house don't come with a pps then sure they might as well give every one the allowance. asking for the pps of a person in exchange for a household allowance stinks to the high heavens. pure trickery.

i may not pay it, but i certainly won't be giving any pps number away, not till i see how this thing fairs out over the next few months, years. heck, sure i might not pay it, i've no assets, nothing. i'll do the time. no problem at all.

For fear of having a slightly more complicated life( short term) , I think I will stick to my principles....a rare quality these days I know!
    And highly unfashionable as it is!

Ps I'm
    A citizen and I won't have to pay their Bill !

So no, I didn't misunderstand. You have just worded if differently this time ie that legislation CAN be changed as opposed to your previous post where you said LAWS can be changed.

Also with regard to them being a legal entity, where does a utility companies legal remit end?
    If you don't enter into a contract with them, how can the LAW force you into it?

And furthermore dx, "Ignorance of the law"?
    Are you expecting every person to know the ever changing statute book in its entirety?

For someone who is able to apply detailed analysis to vast reams of postings on Boards, I'm disappointed with your meagre knowledge of the legislation which directly affect the subject under discussion here. What you wrote a day ago.

I've seen it happen several times.
    Thread comes up. A week or two after the thread has got legs, you get new accounts posters getting stuck in.
    90% of their posts on any of the forums(and not just the one thread but anywhere on here that the issue is being discussed)are about the same subject.

The other 10% of their posts are basically "fillers" in other threads/forums.

• Advertisement

For someone who is able to apply detailed analysis to vast reams of postings on Boards, I'm disappointed with your meagre knowledge of the legislation which directly affect the subject under discussion here. What you wrote a day ago.

I've seen it happen several times.
    Thread comes up. A week or two after the thread has got legs, you get new accounts posters getting stuck in.
    90% of their posts on any of the forums(and not just the one thread but anywhere on here that the issue is being discussed)are about the same subject.

The other 10% of their posts are basically "fillers" in other threads/forums.

I'm afraid so dx, you have vastly over estimated me :p
    You have also confused detective skills with intelligence ;)

For fear of having a slightly more complicated life( short term) , I think I will stick to my principles....a rare quality these days I know!
    And highly unfashionable as it is!

Ps I'm
    A citizen and I won't have to pay their Bill !

I salute you citizen Barney. A rare person of principle and much to be admired in these days of ....... well of something else, can't think of the exact word.

I salute you citizen Barney. A rare person of principle and much to be admired in these days of ....... well of something else, can't think of the exact word.
    Cronyism ???
    Corruption???
    Servitude ???
    Take your pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cronyism ???
    Corruption???
    Servitude ???
    Take your pick.

*Mrs Doyles voice from the other room

"Sycophancy was another one"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Citizen dxhound at the moment we pay a certain level of tax, for a certain level of services. Are there any service that you consider sacrosanct?

Or will you continue to mock others as we are asked to pay more and more?

Eventually we will just end up financing the pension bill of politicians and everything else will cost.

Blogs

Computer

Radio station

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Citizen dxhound at the moment we pay a certain level of tax, for a certain level of services. Are there any service that you consider sacrosanct?

Or will you continue to mock others as we are asked to pay more and more?

Eventually we will just end up financing the pension bill of politicians and everything else will cost.

I love this "Citizen/Comrade" thing that certain poster always seem to stoop to.
    Whats the issue?
    Are they going to ask Citizens Information to change their name as it's an affront to their political view? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I love this "Citizen/Comrade" thing that certain poster always seem to stoop to.
    Whats the issue?
    Are they going to ask Citizens Information to change their name as it's an affront to their political view? :D

i was using it based on it being used in the previous post,

Whats the issue?
    Context old chum!

Quote: dxhound2005

I simply highlighted that I am also. "Citizen" and I don't mind what they propose to do!

Holy jumping to conclusions Batman!...
    Aka Smidge
    How low can you stoop ?
    Ps I never mentioned any comrades!

• Advertisement

Talking to yourself

Talking to a machine

Fighting with no-one else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement