Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

eeepaulo wrote: »
    i was using it based on it being used in the previous post,

I was too! I have been called Comrade numerous times on Boards, despite never having been a member of the communist party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Smidge wrote: »
    I was too! I have been called Comrade numerous times on Boards, despite never having been a member of the communist party

It might be my fault, but its ok, we are on a new page now and we know the attention span around here

so im blaming you,

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

But don't let that get in the way of a chuckle eh?
    Any thoughts on the topic of discussion at all smidger???
    Or are we to expect more user bashing wit?

Well, wit "ish"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

barney 20v wrote: »
    But don't let that get in the way of a chuckle eh?
    Any thoughts on the topic of discussion at all smidger???
    Or are we to expect more user bashing wit?

Well, wit "ish"

We seem to have wires crossed.
    I have been referred to as comrade/citizen on other threads and found it amusing as I have never been a member of the communist party.
    I have never been involved in user bashing as I'm sure even my most staunch adversarial opponent on here will attest to.
    Play the ball, not the man is my mantra :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ogham wrote: »
    All Meters are running since installation. They store the month end readings and those are picked up by "drive by" readers sometime in the next 3 months.
    It's like Magic !:)
    How reliable will that be? has it been properly tested? if so by who and what/where are the results?
    By letting the case get so far, you will be hit even harder! Yes, you won't owe the company anything, but you sure as Hell will owe the Court service for wasting its time!
    The company would be the one taking the citizen to court wrongfully so they should be made pay all costs for not doing their homework.
    Why look for costs? The first thing the judge would ask you is did you fill out the info pack informing IW that you are on a group.scheme and therefore not a customer. The moment you say no he will laugh you out of court and probably award costs against.
    If I bill you tomorrow for something which I never sent and which you never ordered and you simply ignore all communication from me then how can you be committing any crime or even liable for any costs? If I go so far as to drag you to court I would be warned by any good solicitor to expect to be paying your costs including taxis to/from the court as well as a days loss of earnings.
    They are very polite as he would have seen if he had opened the pack.

What if I am not a customer of Irish Water?
    If you are not supplied by the public water main and are not connected to a public sewer, then you are not a customer of Irish Water. To ensure that we do not contact you again, we ask that you complete the application process.

Unless he has some political motivation in refusing to complete the application form I don't see any good reason otherwise. Not doing so will result in them contacting him again, if I interpret the above correctly.
    This is against data protection rules, they have no reason to have your information on file yet still tell you to complete the forms and return them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How reliable will that be? has it been properly tested? if so by who and what/where are the results?

The company would be the one taking the citizen to court wrongfully so they should be made pay all costs for not doing their homework.

If I bill you tomorrow for something which I never sent and which you never ordered and you simply ignore all communication from me then how can you be committing any crime or even liable for any costs? If I go so far as to drag you to court I would be warned by any good solicitor to expect to be paying your costs including taxis to/from the court as well as a days loss of earnings.

This is against data protection rules, they have no reason to have your information on file yet still tell you to complete the forms and return them!

I saw somewhere that the Data Protection Commissioner said there is nothing wrong with asking but we are by no means obligated to provide it. Especially when you read the section on data protection when it comes to IW. Providing sensitive info to that company has the potential for all kinds of bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Seems to be some contradiction between these two posts of yours there mrsbyrne.

Sorry I don't see any contradiction at all. You seem to have arrived to the thread pretty uninformed and a bit confused, no offence intended. Do you want to point out the contradiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Not much incentive for Enda and co to 'conserve'.

They get a free ride as per normal.
    Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Pearse Doherty has described as outrageous a revelation today that Ministers and Ministers of State can claim their water charges on second homes in Dublin back from their tax bill as a result of the Dual Abode Allowance.

This was confirmed to Deputy Doherty by the Revenue Department this week.

Speaking today he said;

“All Ministers and Junior Ministers with a second home in Dublin can now claim back their full water charges at that house from their taxes.

“This is a result of a little known allowance called the Dual Abode Allowance which allows Ministers and Ministers of State to claim the costs of keeping a second home in Dublin including mortgage interest on the house.

“This is despite the fact that Enda Kenny in opposition promised to abolish this allowance. This outrageous revelation is another smack in the face to hundreds of thousands of families out there who will face water charges from tomorrow.

“To my knowledge Enda Kenny and his ministers are the only people who will be able to claim back their water charges from their tax bill. The fact that each of them earn above €130,000 a year won’t be lost on anyone.”

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Even after a good nights sleep de peeeeples are still angry.

De peeeples, uniri, will never be defeeri.

A full page of comments has gone by without reference to "tax non dom" or "no contract, no consent. The dissenters are slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sorry to go a wee bit off topic but it is sort of relevant. I just did a back of the envelope type calculation comparing what a single person in Dundalk could be paying in property taxes compared to their neighbours in Newry. I took a £250,000 house in Newry equivalent to €321,000 at today's exchange rate. Domestic rates in Newry £1822 (€2340). In Dundalk Property Tax €585, three small bins €280, water €176. Total €1041. The domestic rates only pay for about 25% of the services in the North so Newry locals are also paying for them from their income tax. So it's €1041 compared to €2340.

The odd thing is that Sinn Fein seem to think that they do not have a property tax in the North, only a service charge. But if that house in Newry was next door to one worth only £125,000 it would be paying exactly twice what the neighbour has to pay. For the same services. I can't understand it, it sounds exactly like a property tax based on the value of the property.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/property-and-housing/rates/your-rate-bill/domestic-rate-poundages-2014-to-2015.htm

Is this what we can look forward to if SF get into power. No property tax but service charges based on the value of someone's house. It sounds a bit like the trick that was pull in Britain. The "hated" Poll Tax was abolished but now they have something else called Council Tax.

You might be slightly off in your calculations for the rates. My dad's house would be worth upwards on 200k and his rates are never more than £800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lifted the lid with a screwdriver and guess what -- no meter in hole.
    This crowd are not ready yet at all.

They're ready to start gouging money out of you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

foggy_lad wrote: »

Unless you are part of a private scheme and not on the IW infrastructure then it's pretty simple. The moment you flush your toilet or fill your kettle this morning then you have automatically become a customer of IW. You may not want this and you may not like it but that is the reality. If you do not wish to be a customer and pay for water then all you have to do is disconnect yourself from the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

galah wrote: »
    so what did they use as a basis for the 'assessed rate'? cant find that info anywhere.

also, can I apply to have a meter installed instead of being assessed? I think the allowances are way too high (yes, I just made my German mother go through our old water bills at home, just for the craic :cool: and the usage for 4 adults was significantly below the assessed volume here, so I'd rather have a meter than pay a flat fee for water I dont actually use....:mad:

You can put in for "priority" meter if you think your usage is way below assessed levels. There is a rebate scheme too - s oonce you get a meter and it shows you were paying too much on unmetered bills- you get the difference back. Apparently thayhave budgeted €44 million for it - so they must know a lot of people will be charged too much on assessed charges.
    See: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/rebates-on-water-charges-worth-up-to-e45-million.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

And so it begins... Free water, you were good while you lasted.

Irish Water, feck you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

And what do you know?

The morning the water bills start.... It's pissing down.........

A rare commodity alright.

Irish Water, feck you!

When where you getting free water?

And what do you know?

The morning the water bills start.... It's pissing down.........

A rare commodity alright.

Get your buckets out and collect it, free drinking and washing water right there, no need to pay for it then.

Double posted - sorry.

When where you getting free water?

I had about 35 buckets sellotaped to my roof, landlord found out and now I've to pay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mfceiling wrote: »
    You might be slightly off in your calculations for the rates. My dad's house would be worth upwards on 200k and his rates are never more than £800.

Do the calculation for his Council Area. Let me know what 200K works out at. I know a person in the Newry and Mourne district who is paying about £2100. Nice house but hardly a mansion.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/property-and-housing/rates/your-rate-bill/domestic-rate-poundages-2014-to-2015.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Irish Water, feck you!

The only free water you ever had was the stuff that fell on you from the sky.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The only free water you ever had was the stuff that fell on you from the sky.

What about my buckets and my funnel system from the neighbours?

Surely all that was free?

Don't tell me I've been lied to!

:pac:

What about my buckets and my funnel system from the neighbours?

Surely all that was free?

Don't tell me I've been lied to!

:pac:

That weren't free, that was stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

The moment you flush your toilet or fill your kettle this morning then you have automatically become a customer of IW.

LOL thats rediculous

Hijpo wrote: »
    LOL thats rediculous

Of course it is. Everyone knows you shower before you flush, because the flush would affect the water pressure in the shower. Then you put the kettle on.

Hijpo wrote: »
    LOL thats rediculous

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Why?

the storage tank in the attic is holding Local Authority water!:pac:

Satriale wrote: »
    the storage tank in the attic is holding Local Authority water!:pac:

And being refilled with IW product ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Of course it is. Everyone knows you shower before you flush, because the flush would affect the water pressure in the shower. Then you put the kettle on.

You must have a very badly designed plumbing system in your house?:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement