Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Hijpo wrote: »
    Chances are if he won't pay the charge then he won't willingly provide his own details to IW never mind accept that his room mate wants to give it to them.

Your eagerness to convinc people to accept this half arsed company of cronies is clouding your ability to think logically about situations.

lol, i think you need to have a quick look at my post history, Hijpo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

What's the actual definition of a 'power shower'? Our shower has a 3 bar pump and puts out a lot of water, wouldn't have thought 16 litres a minute though (assuming 5 minutes in shower).

Also, if you've not got a notice in saying your water meter is in, does that mean yours has not yet been put in? Got nothing and never saw anyone digging up any part of the pavements in the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

micosoft wrote: »
    I actually think it's fair enough unless you are proposing that Minsters from the country (like Mayo) should be doubly punished by having to rent a SECOND home for the duration of the minstership and pay all charges on the double.

Why not everyone else is
    Given they can only use water in the location they live in, it's fair enough from an actual usage perspective as well.

Do they bring the whole family with them when they away from home?
    I'm unmetered should I get a rebate when I go on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

What's the actual definition of a 'power shower'? Our shower has a 3 bar pump and puts out a lot of water, wouldn't have thought 16 litres a minute though (assuming 5 minutes in shower).

Also, if you've not got a notice in saying your water meter is in, does that mean yours has not yet been put in? Got nothing and never saw anyone digging up any part of the pavements in the estate?

1. An electric shower like a T90 heats the water when it passes through, it is usally connected to a mains water supply and an electrical supply, normally 8.0 - 10 kw for a good flow. Would not use much water.

2. A power shower is a pump which will boost your water pressure if it is not high enough for a good shower. It connects to a tank fed hot and cold supply and can be thermostatically controlled. The pump maybe in a hot press or another room. It delivers the mixed water at a good pressure. This will have your meter spinning faster than a FF TD after he got his mate a job.

New estates will have meter boxes fitted by the builder. It would have taken Irish Water 5 mins to fit a meter and you may have not even noticed them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

seamus wrote: »
    Effectively the situation is the same as any other utility bill, the cost of it must be shared by all tenants of the property.

You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. You can't say there's only one person living there because that's a false declaration. You can say there are two people living in the property, but if you stick your name and PPSN down, you will be lumbered with the whole bill.

How do bills work at present? Do you split them, or does the landlord receive them and split them? If it's the latter, then the landlord should do the same for the water.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, we split them as it is. Unfortunately he is very anti-tax, establishment etc, so there is no reasoning with him.
    Satriale wrote: »
    Agree to put the bill in his name, pay him your half and get a receipt from him for it. Your obligation is finished and IW will prosecute him in a court of law for not passing your money(and his own liability).

Yeah, that would be ideal but he says they're not getting his PPS number. It's an idiotic situation. I guess i'll wait to hear back from Threshold but I can't imagine them offering any helpful ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I rang Irish Water and they confirmed to me that my annual bill will be 483 euro , and an allowance of 21,000 litres for child .

I asked them what this allowance equates to in money terms and Irish Water did not know the answer.

Simple: 21 cu m * 4.88 euro = 102.48 euro per child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

Only new type toilets use that amount (or less), There are lots of toilets out there with big cisterns , Some using 20L a flush.

It may be worth putting a concrete brick in your cistern if you have the old style large toilets. And checking for ballcock leaks is vital.

I also saved a lot of water by changing my shower head from a 13 liters per min head to a 6 Liters per min eco type.

So a quick 4 min morning shower is only using 24 liters. Around 35 euro a year.

The day of enjoying a lovely hot shower is gone from today. :(

Thanks for the info, so the older toilets use more then that won't please a lot of people obviously. Have heard some of that stuff about cisterns.Guess lots of people will be looking for advice from plumbers. Never mind the days of a long hot short being gone even a long cold one too eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

YES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

What's the actual definition of a 'power shower'?

One that requires power - i.e. an electric shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What's the actual definition of a 'power shower'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

One that requires power - i.e. an electric shower.

See post 2347.
    Dashcamdaddy gives a very comprehensive explanation in his second point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Many do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Canada doesn't have water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I excluded Sinn Fein from that analysis so not sure what your point is? FF introduced the legistlation for water charges.

You are presuming that everyone that did not vote is a. anti water b. is relevent. We are a democracy - if you choose not to vote you don't get a say. So your % here make no sense and show an alarming disregard for our democracy.

If you have a problem with our representitive democracy and want a different political system open a different thread.

I have no idea why you keep bringing SF into it, i have not mentioned them.
    FF did not put anything into their manifesto.

Go and read what i wrote again, 74% openly support water was your statement.
    I am not presuming the remaining are anti water, you are saying that 74% are in favour.
    I simply worked out the percentages of people who voted for FG and labour.

You keep attempting to paint yourself as in the majority, all i did was point out that your figures are utter nonsense.
    Labour have met the requirement that those who have undrinkable water don't have to pay. It's done.

From labours manifesto
    Labour does not favour water charges, which do not address the immediate needs of those who currently receive intermittent or poor water supplies.

So the requirement labour are addressing is the need not to pay water charges?

Canada doesn't have water charges?

They do,
    http://www.durham.ca/extcontent.asp?nr=/departments/finance/water/howabill.htm&setFooter=includes/financewaterfooter.inc

Cost of living survey mentioning Water Charges
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Canada
    Im currently living abroad so I have not been following this topic much but on average what is the rough water charge amount?

This is something that is really putting me off returning to live in Ireland in the future, I cant get my head around a country charging for water!!!!

Toronto, where you have your location as, even charge you a non compliance fee if you refuse a water meter. They council officials even agreed a 9% increase for this year.
    http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=a916ff0e43db1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

21 garda down to stop the water protestors , houses being robbed around the corner , muggings takin place an these are standin here gettin payed for doing absolutely notin .. people need to stand up

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=689359004488797&set=vb.100002441113684&type=2&theater

"Houses been robbed around the corner". Really.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    "Houses been robbed around the corner". Really. People need to stand up, lots doing that in the vid before I got few up with the counting.

An astute person would have noticed the different letters on the Garda shoulders. That means they are from different districts. One or two from each I would say. Not a big drain on manpower when properly sourced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Scuttery underpants

An astute person would have noticed the different letters on the Garda shoulders. That means they are from different districts. One or two from each I would say. Not a big drain on manpower when properly sourced.

An astute person would also say.. The gardai are not a "private" security firm for IW... They should hire a private firm to protect their workers.. Not public payed guards..

• Advertisement

An astute person would also say.. The gardai are not a "private" security firm for IW... They should hire a private firm to protect their workers.. Not public payed guards..

No, only an idiot would suggest the Gardaí should not protect people from assault and intimidation by showers of scumbags.

The sheer amount is pretty ridiculous tbh. There was branch, Armed Response Unit and all down here today, no need for it.

The sheer amount is pretty ridiculous tbh. There was branch, Armed Response Unit and all down here today, no need for it.

I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

A few threads back, someone asked if there were any other countries out there were water was provided from public funds.

A list of countries which explicitly recognise a person's right to clean water can be found at:

http://www.righttowater.info/progress-so-far/national-legislation-on-the-right-to-water/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Scuttery underpants

No, only an idiot would suggest the Gardaí should not protect people from assault and intimidation by showers of scumbags.

Showers of Irish nationals being ripped off by their own so called brethren in government you mean...? Take your foot out your mouth mate.. The guards are NOT a private security force for Irish Water.. Fact..
    Showers of scumbags..? Wind your feckin neck in.. You'd think the workers were in a war zone.. They are not..
    And people are fed up..
    What do you expect..?
    A friendly chat and the offer of a cup a tea..?

Showers of Irish nationals being ripped off by their own so called brethren in government you mean...? Take your foot out your mouth mate.. The guards are NOT a private security force for Irish Water.. Fact..
    Showers of scumbags..? Wind your feckin neck in.. You'd think the workers were in a war zone.. They are not..
    And people are fed up..
    What do you expect..?

If that's what i meant I would have said it. I'm happy enough with the way I worded it thanks. Nobody has suggested they are a private security force but you and your ilk. Most people see that their presence is necessary to prevent a breach of the peace and injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

And people are fed up..
    What do you expect..?

Sounds like a great name for the next Irish Anti Water charge terrorist group.

""The S.I.N have planted a water bomb under a Garda car in Letterkenny.""

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

So the water charges are included in your rent as are the bin charges. And your health cover is taken from your wages.

• Advertisement

And people are fed up..
    What do you expect..?

Madness. You think Irish Water workers aren't individuals allowed to work unhindered by people who frankly don't know who they should actually be protesting against?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement