Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

listermint wrote: »
    Me too, I have not been to anything before this but the straw is broke. I cant open the papers any day without a new headline coming out about the government, and what is more incredible is that labour are sitting through all this and saying absolutely nothing. I dont get it?

I am seriously considering heading into this march on the 11th. I think we need a change at the top and i think we need peaceful declaration of protest to show our unhappyness.

I'll march on the 11th aswell. Im worried about where we go from here politically tbh. The 2016 elections are fast approaching and we have no real alternative. Not a hope FG will ever get my mandate again and I wont forget FF crashing the economy as many of the the old guard are lurking in the shadows and waiting to pounce in 2016.

The time is right for a fresh, new thinking centre right political party to take on FF and FG who are the same in my eyes. Both should be obliterated into the dustbins of History. Both parties an absolute blight on our nation and are filled with vultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing is lost on me at all. Dont be so condescending. And use some intelligent thinking will you.

Hong Kong have a semi democracy but its not working. Its broken and the people want change. But sure there change is ok to protest about.

But when an Irish person a normal irish person is upset about a government who completely u turned all of their manifest proposals they are labelled a freeman, an idiot a shinner and real lateral thinking is 'lost on them'

Get real my friend. And dont be so condescending to people.

There will be at least one, probably several candidates in your constituency in the next election who will be "anti austerity". Use your vote. In the meantime please do not dress up your stated intention to break the law as anything other than a contempt for democracy and the rule of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,967 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'll march on the 11th aswell. Im worried about where we go from here politically tbh. The 2016 elections are fast approaching and we have no real alternative. Not a hope FG will ever get my mandate again and I wont forget FF crashing the economy as many of the the old guard are lurking in the shadows and waiting to pounce in 2016.

The time is right for a fresh, new thinking centre right political party to take on FF and FG who are the same in my eyes. Both should be obliterated into the dustbins of History. Both parties an absolute blight on our nation filled with vultures.

I am in the same boat. We are just so short on good people in politics in this country. There are various good politicians there. But each of them are in different parties that stand opposed on number of policies.

If i could go out and hand pick them i would. If only that was the choice we had. Bloody party politics whip system. FFFG two sides same coin.

And ive voted for both in the past.

Mind numbing to say the least.

There will be at least one, probably several candidates in your constituency in the next election who will be "anti austerity". Use your vote. In the meantime please do not dress up your stated intention to break the law as anything other than a contempt for democracy and the rule of law.

I now know that you are just a wind up merchant. Being of a decent level of comprehension i can see through your posts now. It took me some time to get it. But i can see clearly now.

I must applaud your attempts though nearly had me there a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No i will not, The sign up letter is in the bin.

Doesn't matter, you just get billed a flat rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

There's no 'austerity' in the PS/semi-state sector.
    Pay rises every year bar one since 2008.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, you just get billed a flat rate.

Thank you for taking the time to point out something I already know.

Helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Thank you for taking the time to point out something I already know.

Helpful.

It's difficult to see how you can know that but still think there is any benefit in stopping the installation of meters or throwing the pack in the bin.

People who think that if an early GE is called that the next government will abolish water charges are delusional, no matter what the parties who make up that government say to gain the populist vote.

It's difficult to see how you can know that but still think there is any benefit in stopping the installation of meters or throwing the pack in the bin.

Are you confusing me with someone else? Where did i say stop the installation of water meters ?

I think you are confused. You seem to agree with some posters then on the next page disagree with the same posters. Possibly for the laugh or some ridicule, I am quite unsure which.

Alas you are still confusing me with someone else in never said that.

• Advertisement

And give up with this 'ordinary decent tax payer' shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Did even bother to read anything i wrote about my reasons not to pay. It has nothing to do with my personal ability to pay.

I stated i had no issue paying for a water service. but not THIS water service and not THIS government. Stop trying to legitimise all that has gone into this over the last 2 years. It has to stop. This crap cannot be continued to be tolerated with the your alright jack politics and the usual ah sure we didnt know it was wrong until we were caught.

two words fk that!

I mean i wouldnt get away with an ounce of what goes on in goverment in my job. Accountability counts for NOTHING at the moment. And accountability was the manifesto.

Change was the manifesto

Where is it ??

Where is your accountability in all this? After all, the people of Ireland vote in the Government. Why is it that we consistently get the politicians we do? Does the electorate have no part to play in this? When a substantial number of voters based their decision on "what they will personally get" from the local politician, is it surprising that politicians behave the way most Irish voters would and do given the opportunity? Is refusing to pay for a service or good and demanding it for free by selling your vote for same not an act of corruption?

This neither justifies nor excuses the actions of our politicians, but I do wonder when I see hysterical (and yes, you are hysterical, we are 21st least corrupt in the world, only 2 behind the US and 3 behind Japan) why you don't have any self reflection that perhaps you are part of the "corruption" cycle within Irish politicians.

And for the record, I think the climb down here is right, it was an abuse to put this guy in as a director. It does not in any way negate that a water utility like IW makes sense. It's a reflection, as stated above, about the dysfunctional nature of politics in this country driven in large part by the misunderstanding by many of the contract between state and voter.

I. Our outlook is bleak and I want to go to the streets.

The opposite, our economy is doing relatively well and improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Are you confusing me with someone else? Where did i say stop the installation of water meters ?

I think you are confused. You seem to agree with some posters then on the next page disagree with the same posters. Possibly for the laugh or some ridicule, I am quite unsure which.

Alas you are still confusing me with someone else in never said that.

Sorry. It's difficult to see how a person can know that but still think there is any benefit in stopping the installation of meters or throwing the pack in the bin.

I think I've been pretty consistent with my views.

People who think that if an early GE is called that the next government will abolish water charges are delusional, no matter what the parties who make up that government say to gain the populist vote.

Im not on the abolish water charges. I want some legitimacy to come to this whole thing. Get rid of Tierney, Expose the background of how DOB contract company were awarded their contract. That needs some transparency. And of late Enda needs to go and FG. They have tarred this whole setup in the stickiest black substance anyone could imagine.

But again just because someone does not want to pay does not mean what you imagine it does.

We need accountability and transparency IW as it stands has none.

lols, they are all out tonight. Is it witching hour.

Checks clock.

Ah yes it is witching hour.

To answer your assertion, Yes i would classify myself as ordinary and yes i do pay taxes well except for when i emigrated 8 years ago. How and ever i am back now and have been for sometime.

Can i not expect some bang for my political vote? Or is that reserved for those of higher intelligence than me, Which by current count is you and two other posters who are at pains to deride other people visions of a better system with, i dont know legitimacy.

lols, they are all out tonight. Is it witching hour.

Checks clock.

Ah yes it is witching hour.

Statements like that do you no favours.

The majority of people with jobs are ordinary descent tax payers, there's many that aren't. Making the point you're one is meaningless.
    And I've no idea why you think I'm here to deride a better system, you're reading things that aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Bollox.

This has fast been turning into such a hot potato for the coalition, any political party hoping to be elected would do well to make it the absolute cornerstone of their campaign.

The scary thing though, FF prob know this, and will be preparing it.

Statements like that do you no favours.

And statements like that do you ?

Designed to get a false rise out of posters, I suppose.

Who uses the term 'shtick' ?

Bollox.

This has fast been turning into such a hot potato for the coalition, any political party hoping to be elected would do well to make it the absolute cornerstone of their campaign.

The scary thing though, FF prob know this, and will be preparing it.

As I said, it'll be a populist vote getter. Will never happen. Unless there's a money tree hidden away somewhere.

• Advertisement

Anyway, Im off to bed.

I have to go to work in the morning. You know, to pay my ordinary taxes.. decently and that.

Anyway, Im off to bed.

I have to go to work in the morning. You know, to pay my ordinary taxes.. decently and that.

Like the majority of the country, but they don't have to keep telling people about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyway, Im off to bed.

You will find it hard to sleep with all that stuff going round in your head. See you tomorrow.

As I said, it'll be a populist vote getter. Will never happen. Unless there's a money tree hidden away somewhere.

They said that when certain local councillors promised to lower the lpt by 15% if elected.

Seriously. If you lot (assuming you're fg/lab supporters) don't see the anger and anti Govt sentiments out there at the min, you're deluding yourself.

I don't think they'll go full term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

The time is right for a fresh, new thinking centre right political party to take on FF and FG who are the same in my eyes. Both should be obliterated into the dustbins of History. Both parties an absolute blight on our nation and are filled with vultures.

So this is the way politics works in this country

1. Opposition tell lies about magical painless alternative to get elected.
    2. Electorate fall for lies and vote existing Government out and Opposition in.
    3. Opposition become Government. Realise they actually have to tell the truth that they can't deliver on those lies because, you know, real world etc.
    4. Electorate become angry. Believe the government is telling lies even though they are probably telling the truth. Seek out magical painless alternative.
    5. Go to step 1.*

* The only time that this did not happen since WW2 (a government re-elected) was our chums Bertie & Co who actually did not do step 3 but actually made the lies happen by sticking us into the mess we are in now. And boy were they popular with the electorate - 42% of the vote for one party!!!!

but they don't have to keep telling people about it.

Like you lads have to keep telling us how paying for water twice is a good thing???

They said that when certain local councillors promised to lower the lpt by 15% if elected.

Seriously. If you lot (assuming you're fg/lab supporters) don't see the anger and anti Govt sentiments out there at the min, you're deluding yourself.

I don't think they'll go full term.

Another for the bingo card, if you're not vehemently against the charges but a realist, you're accused of being a government stooge or party member.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't go full term, the next government won't abolish it.

Micosoft leaves out all references to cronyism, nepotism, and corruption in his post.

The gigs up lads.

micosoft wrote: »
    So this is the way politics works in this country

1. Opposition tell lies about magical painless alternative to get elected.
    2. Electorate fall for lies and vote existing Government out and Opposition in.
    3. Opposition become Government. Realise they actually have to tell the truth that they can't deliver on those lies because, you know, real world etc.
    4. Electorate become angry. Believe the government is telling lies even though they are probably telling the truth. Seek out magical painless alternative.
    5. Go to step 1.

As I said earlier, it's tweedledee or tweedledum, there's no other option in most people's mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

The opposite, our economy is doing relatively well and improving.

Not for the average man it isn't. A housing crisis, a health system rapidly deteriorating into a 3rd world state if not already there. A further decline in living standards with more stealth taxes and more money been pillaged from our pockets. Public transport hikes on an annual basis for muck services. A police force stretched to the limit. The list is endless.

Of course economic indicators show the economy is improving but it I smell a rat and really, I am sceptical of the 'Irish austerity success story' being peddled out to other European nations in difficulty.

Oh and I meant the outlook is bleak as to who will lead the next Government. I have no faith in any of them sadly.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement