Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

lacco wrote: »
    Any of you seen what's happening in Detroit.
    Don't have enough posts so can't put up any links.
    The water system is heading towards privitisation.
    People are having their water shut off for owing bills for as little as $150 dollars.
    That's wrong.

The people not paying are the richest, the poorest have their water subsidised and aren't getting shut off.

Still, shutting off water should not be done, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Any of you seen what's happening in Detroit.
    Don't have enough posts so can't put up any links.
    The water system is heading towards privitisation.
    People are having their water shut off for owing bills for as little as $150 dollars.
    That's wrong.

What has a US cities water problems got to do with Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'll bookmark this post for the next person that posts anything that briefly goes along the way of "most other developed nations charge for water" of which there are many.

I'm not going to bother trawling your post history, but I'd be fairly confident you didn't use that line as a response in any such posts.

I'll bookmark this post for the next person that posts anything that briefly goes along the way of "most other developed nations charge for water" of which there are many.

I'm not going to bother trawling your post history, but I'd be fairly confident you didn't use that line as a response in any such posts.

No i haven't to my knowledge used that in any of my posts. I have seen a lot of "Oh IW cannot guarantee the safety of our details" But when i point out that NO company could ever guarantee that i get told this thread is about IW so same goes i suppose. Genuine question though, what does Detroit have to do with Dublin in regard to our water charges?

No i haven't to my knowledge used that in any of my posts. I have seen a lot of "Oh IW cannot guarantee the safety of our details" But when i point out that NO company could ever guarantee that i get told this thread is about IW so same goes i suppose. Genuine question though, what does Detroit have to do with Dublin in regard to our water charges?

As for the data, I'm not sure where you're going with that tbh. Are you suggesting others have said, I'm not giving over my details because I don't trust Irish Water to keep them safe (just because it's Irish water) or are you using other companies who recently got hacked (apple for example) to actually bolster their fears?

Genuine question though.....

what's any other nations taxation / water delivery payment methods got to do with here? Should we start driving on the right too?

'clever answers' are often stupid answers.

• Advertisement

As for the data, I'm not sure where you're going with that tbh. Are you suggesting others have said, I'm not giving over my details because I don't trust Irish Water to keep them safe (just because it's Irish water) or are you using other companies who recently got hacked (apple for example) to actually bolster their fears?

Genuine question though.....

what's any other nations taxation / water delivery payment methods got to do with here? Should we start driving on the right too?

'clever answers' are often stupid answers.

People claim IW cannot kep data safe, I say NO company can guarantee that. I can drive either side of the road so wouldn't bother me, I never bought up Detroit's problems i'm just asking what they have to do with this thread? I know you didn't ask this question i'm just asking in case the poster who did ask it has an answer.

Long story short, comparing other countries taxation systems and utility systems, private or public are now off limits.

Because they have no relevance to Dublin.

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

Caliden wrote: »
    The people not paying are the richest, the poorest have their water subsidised and aren't getting shut off.

Still, shutting off water should not be done, full stop.

According to this they are;
    This is what I read the source is ABC NEWS

' Nearly 22,000 homes lost water due to shut downs from March through August according to the water department, though 15, 251 had services restored in that same period.'

Now they are ' offering a two year payment plan starting with a 10 percent down payment for people weeks behind on bills of more than $150.'

I read on another site which I can't find now about a woman being cut off and her kids were taken from her because of health, safety and sanitation issues. I think she was pregnant as well but not sure on that. Some people from the water board came out gave her a notice about shutting her off.

Would like to read more about the Detroit situation but from the bit I've read so far they are
    broke/ bankrupt and in very bad shape. Don't know how much water costs there but will try to find out.

' Nearly 22,000 homes lost water due to shut downs from March through August according to the water department, though 15, 251 had services restored in that same period.'

Now they are ' offering a two year payment plan starting with a 10 percent down payment for people weeks behind on bills of more than $150.'

I read on another site which I can't find now about a woman being cut off and her kids were taken from her because of health, safety and sanitation issues. I think she was pregnant as well but not sure on that. Some people from the water board came out gave her a notice about shutting her off.

Would like to read more about the Detroit situation but from the bit I've read so far they are
    broke/ bankrupt and in very bad shape. Don't know how much water costs there but will try to find out.

AGAIN

What does this have to do with Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Seriously though what has this got to do with water charges here in Ireland? Maybe you should start a thread on 'have you seen what is happening in Detroit'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

Having water come out of the tap in your kitchen is a luxury.
    It isn't a basic human right for a company or organization to pump water from a reservoir to your home free of charge. You, the people of Ireland, are privileged.
    In the old days, prior to a centralized water network you would of had to go to the nearest lake or river to get your water. Or you would have to had built a well yourself, nobody else was gonna do it for you.

A lot of you are arguing that it rains a lot in Ireland and "Water should be free herp derp". Well my friends yes water itself may be free but do you ever consider the cost to actually construct a water network and lay down pipes? Maintenance? Wages for these workers? Filtration systems? Pump power consumption? If you dont like buying water from a 3rd party go look for a spring in your back yard and dig a well. If that's not an option go walk 5 miles a day to your nearest lake and bucket your water home. Then see how bad the water charges seem.

If this €10 a week is really breaking you, have 2 less pints on a Saturday night, go home and drink 2 glasses of water and you will wake up fresh as a daisy the next day! And then you wont have to brag to your friends how hungover you are too.

Grow up folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

All these water threads are starting to seem the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

If this €10 a week is really breaking you, have 2 less pints on a Saturday night, go home and drink 2 glasses of water and you will wake up fresh as a daisy the next day! And then you wont have to brag to your friends how hungover you are too.

Not at all tarring everyone with the one brush there are you? Don't judge or make assumptions sir/madame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

People claim IW cannot kep data safe, I say NO company can guarantee that. I can drive either side of the road so wouldn't bother me, I never bought up Detroit's problems i'm just asking what they have to do with this thread? I know you didn't ask this question i'm just asking in case the poster who did ask it has an answer.

All other private company's don't use a discount as a way of baiting you into providing all PPS numbers in the household, of which alot more than your phone number is attached to.

Hijpo wrote: »
    All other private company's don't use a discount as a way of baiting you into providing all PPS numbers in the household, of which alot more than your phone number is attached to.

What discount does a bank offer for the information?

Try opening an.account tomorrow or applying for a loan without giving that information. Want to get hooked up to electricity or gas? Get a car loan? Credit union?

Edit: IW don't ask for ALL PPS numbers in the household.

What discount does a bank offer for the information?

Try opening an.account tomorrow or applying for a loan without giving that information. Want to get hooked up to electricity or gas? Get a car loan? Credit union?

Edit: IW don't ask for ALL PPS numbers in the household.

I have never had to hand over a PPS number to a bank, credit union or utility company so I don't know what your talking about. Who's numbers do they look for?

I have never had to hand over a PPS number to a bank, credit union or utility company so I don't know what your talking about. Who's numbers do they look for?

Whoever is setting up the account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Scuttery underpants

random1337 wrote: »
    It isn't a basic human right for a company or organization to pump water from a reservoir to your home free of charge. You, the people of Ireland, are privileged.
    In the old days, prior to a centralized water network you would of had to go to the nearest lake or river to get your water. Or you would have to had built a well yourself, nobody else was gonna do it for you.

A lot of you are arguing that it rains a lot in Ireland and "Water should be free herp derp". Well my friends yes water itself may be free but do you ever consider the cost to actually construct a water network and lay down pipes? Maintenance? Wages for these workers? Filtration systems? Pump power consumption? If you dont like buying water from a 3rd party go look for a spring in your back yard and dig a well. If that's not an option go walk 5 miles a day to your nearest lake and bucket your water home. Then see how bad the water charges seem.

Grow up folks.

Grow up folks..? How about wind your neck in...?
    Totally detached of reality post...
    Tell me this.. When and where were the first water services provided..? Greece/Rome... Did they charge..? I don't think so...
    And the pumps at the sides of the roads here in Ireland and everywhere else, who put them in..? The public..? Again. No
    Were they charged for the "installation" of road side water pumps...? No
    Did they pay for the water..? No
    Water, I'm afraid, contrary to YOUR belief is a basic human right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Water, I'm afraid, contrary to YOUR belief is a basic human right..

Yes and is now being provided by IW, who will be issuing bills shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It isn't a basic human right for a company or organization to pump water from a reservoir to your home free of charge. .
    I don't believe I ever got free water, it was paid for in my taxes. Having a footpath is a luxury too, I don't believe these are "free" either, I never met a volunteer builder, nor a volunteer postman, same way "free postage" is a misnomer.

I do think it would be similarly ridiculous to introduce a footpath tax or have to pay for using them with tolls or something, and separate it out of normal taxation. The added costs of unnecessary admin, metering etc is ridiculous, not to mention the knock on legal costs which are bound to come about.

If there are extra costs involved in running the country I wish they would just admit the best idea would be to increase taxes which already pay for it, instead of this phoney "aren't we great, we haven't increased general taxation" line.

Same with the TV licence, just stick it in normal tax. Instead we have to pay €160 to watch mind-numbing ads telling us to pay the €160 -this air time could have been used telling people the importance of saving water or how best to cut down on usage. I know people who knowingly wasted & squandered their "free" water, who are now coming up with quite extreme methods of saving water, which they never would have considered doing, I was always fairly concious about wasting water but will not be changing to the same degree that they are.

If this €10 a week is really breaking you,
    Its not breaking me, but it could probably have been only a €5 extra if it was still paid for in the usual manner it always was. I hate to see my extra €5 being pissed down the now needlessly expensive drain.

• Advertisement

Whoever is setting up the account.

Im talking about the PPS numbers IW look for.

Im talking about the PPS numbers IW look for.

So am I. Many "private companies" will want a PPS number from you to set up an account.

So am I. Many "private companies" will want a PPS number from you to set up an account.

Like i said iv never been requested for a PPS number from a private company especially not a utility company. I have switched many services of the last few years and not once have i ever had to provide it. Whats the point of having all these switch teams for easily transfering you from one company to another if they need you to provide your PPS number?

IW are also looking for your childrens numbers, and possibly any one who is ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

About as much as your buddy on here who continually bangs on about the 'shinners' and Northern Ireland.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    About as much as your buddy on here who continually bangs on about the 'shinners' and Northern Ireland.

At least they are on this continent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Scuttery underpants

I stand with the 98 year old women I saw in the paper today saying "ill wipe my arse with the water bill"

I stand with the 98 year old women I saw in the paper today saying "ill wipe my arse with the water bill"

In that case may i be first to say

Apt user name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Sing with me this old refrain: :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2xifIueQ0

Have to say, the damage being done by the blueshirts and their mates in siteserv/GMC sierra to community relations between Gardai and residents in communities all over the country is DISGUSTING.
    It'll put this country back years.
    All the good work these hard working Gardai have done over the years is being undone by Enda kenny and his cronies in Irish Water.
    What a shameful thing to do.

• Advertisement

At least they are on this continent.

Na, Denis doesn't spend enough time per year in this country to be liable for tax etc.
    Hence the 'tax non dom' status.
    Isn't it funny how the blueshirts bend over backwards for people and companies who are really good at using tax avoidance schemes???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement