Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just going on something I was reading elsewhere.

I understood it was Carthy and Ming that were there to oppose Hogans appointment.

Mr Hogan then turned the heat on the newly elected MEP, pointing out that he has received a letter from the Sinn Fein Agriculture Minister in the North Michelle O’Neill sent him a letter congratulating him on his expected appointment.

Carthy made himself look ridiculous as did Flanagan. Asking about the CV's non story which the Indo saved up to publish on the day of the hearing in Brussels. To a man who is going to be in charge of a budget of billions and major issues like EU Russian food trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

I liked the way 'Big Phil' got a round of applause from his fellow MEP's when he bitch-slapped down the Shinner loudmouth.

SF are obviously as popular in Europe as they are in Ireland.

Over 20% of Europeans say they'd vote for SF?????

WOW!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

I liked the way 'Big Phil' got a round of applause from his fellow MEP's when he bitch-slapped down the Shinner loudmouth.

That's it, FF, FG and labour are the only parties.

*slow hand clap......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

How isn that back on topic :rolleyes:

You've been asked to drop it, yet you insist on having the last word in your petty little back and forth.
    Since you can't even follow that simple instruction, and you seem intent on derailing this thread, I think it's best if you don't post in this thread again.

Mr Hogan then turned the heat on the newly elected MEP, pointing out that he has received a letter from the Sinn Fein Agriculture Minister in the North Michelle O’Neill sent him a letter congratulating him on his expected appointment.

Carthy made himself look ridiculous as did Flanagan. Asking about the CV's non story which the Indo saved up to publish on the day of the hearing in Brussels. To a man who is going to be in charge of a budget of billions and major issues like EU Russian food trade.

Well, if you mean Hogan not answering a direct question and then saying 'I hope you don't get into too much trouble about it' made Carthy look ridiculous then that's up to you.
    I'm surprised Hogan didn't throw Jean McConville's name out there like they do in Dail Eireann in response to most questions from Sinn Fein!
    Phil Hogan, the chap who brought in a raft of taxes on the family home.....

• Advertisement

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Well, if you mean Hogan not answering a direct question and then saying 'I hope you don't get into too much trouble about it' made Carthy look ridiculous then that's up to you.
    I'm surprised Hogan didn't throw Jean McConville's name out there like they do in Dail Eireann........

Give him time, can see it now,

Carthy - Mr Hogan, why has the Cap for Irish farmers been cut,

Hogan - Jean McConville, Jean McConville......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

Give him time, can see it now,

Carthy - Mr Hogan, why has the Cap for Irish farmers been cut,

Hogan - Jean McConville, Jean McConville......

I like the cut of yor jib...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Currently im on the fence, ive gone from one side to the other in recent months but im suddenly very unsure of how i feel on it.

TBH the videos appearing of the "howiyas" and what amount to proffesional protesters are appearing around the country blocking the meters being installed while using their freeman arguments is swaying me towards supporting it simply cus I don't want to be associated with people who support such garbage as freemanism. I understand some people will disagree with my reasoning here and I understand it's a bit flawed but I can't help it and im not gonna argue on this topic

The main reason that sways me back however is that i can't get away from the fact that this is a service that we will now be paying for twice.

So I have a question to put to the thread.

Hypothetically IF in the upcoming budget there were tax cuts that effectively amounted to how much water would have cost us previously when it was paid for by the councils through the main tax pot, would people consider that this is now a fair charge since this was how we previously paid for our water?

Bear in mind this is not a question on whether you like IW or about the PPS number data protection issue. It's simply a question on how what would you think if the tax burden is reduced so it is not something we are effectively paying for twice anymore?

VinLieger wrote: »

TBH the videos appearing of the "howiyas" and what amount to proffesional protesters are appearing around the country blocking the meters being installed while using their freeman arguments is swaying me towards supporting it simply cus I don't want to be associated with people who support such garbage as freemanism. I understand some people will disagree with my reasoning here and I understand it's a bit flawed but I can't help it and im not gonna argue on this topic

TBH, I wouldn't want to be seen on video like that.
    I've a business to run and you know, being Ireland, it mightn't be too professional to be seen acting like that.
    I make my views known to my local TD's, one from each party, and I encourage others to do the same.
    There's more than one way to protest, but in saying that I believe these people are perfectly within their rights in their way of doing it.

To see the Gardai manhandling people out of the way to suit a private company is, quite frankly, DISGUSTING.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Daith

To see the Gardai manhandling people out of the way to suit a private company is, quite frankly, DISGUSTING.

Eh, I've got issues with Irish Water as a company but honestly the people installing meters should be able to do their job in peace.

• Advertisement

Hypothetically IF in the upcoming budget there were tax cuts that effectively amounted to how much water would have cost us previously when it was paid for by the councils through the main tax pot, would people consider that this is now a fair charge since this was how we previously paid for our water?

The problem with this is that it's quite obvious that this company is being set up to be sold on to speculators for a quick buck, a boost to the coffers.
    When that happens the price will, in my opinion, quadruple if not more.

We need to nip it in the bud, it's a quango full of jobs for the boys (just look at the make up of the board) that'll waste our money for years to come.

Daith wrote: »
    Eh, I've got issues with Irish Water as a company but honestly the people installing meters should be able to do their job in peace.

The only reason these people have jobs in the first place is because one of the companies (siteserv) was awarded the contract and is owned by 'tax non dom' himself and was purchased off NAMA by him after we, the taxpayer, wrote off €100 million in debt on that company's books.
    It's a scam, just as much as the phone license scandal he was involved with the last time the blueshirts were in power....

In years to come I can see us having another expensive tribunal into how and why this super quango was set up.
    Not that the blueshirts take much heed of tribunals though.......

The only reason these people have jobs in the first place is because one of the companies (siteserv) was awarded the contract and is owned by 'tax non dom' himself and was purchased off NAMA by him after we, the taxpayer, wrote off €100 million in debt on that company's books.
    It's a scam, just as much as the phone license scandal he was involved with the last time the blueshirts were in power....

Yeah fine whatever but they're still entitled to do their job in peace.

TBH, I'd reckon most of those lads don't agree with it either.
    They're big fellas and most of it is banter with them.
    The staff aren't the problem and most know that they're only doing their job.

The fact that the Gardai are being used as a security force for a private company should be of more concern for all of us.

Who's next??????

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bear in mind this is not a question on whether you like IW or about the PPS number data protection issue. It's simply a question on how what would you think if the tax burden is reduced so it is not something we are effectively paying for twice anymore?
    I would be concerned at the lack of fiscal prudence of reducing the state's income when we're already running a large deficit.

There is no "paying for it twice" argument. We are running a large deficit. With the introduction of water charges, that expense is removed from the government's balance sheet and put onto Irish Water's. The money you then pay to IW goes towards the cost of water, and the tax you pay to the government goes towards the cost of everything else.

Also, 'Yeah fine whatever' in reply to my post above says a lot.

The fact that the Gardai are being used as a security force for a private company should be of more concern for all of us.

It's more a concern that the Gardai are needed at all.
    Also, 'Yeah fine whatever' in reply to my post above says a lot.

Yeah it doesn't matter what shady deal you think has been happening. The guys should be allowed to do their job in peace and the Gardai shouldn't be pulled off their regular work.

Honestly you think if IW didn't exist and the local councils were installing meters everything would be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Agree, it looks as if Adams could well be the next taoiseach.

seamus wrote: »

With the introduction of water charges, that expense is removed from the government's balance sheet and put onto Irish Water's. The money you then pay to IW goes towards the cost of water, and the tax you pay to the government goes towards the cost of everything else.

Only, the Local Authorities are retaining their staff in their water sections for the next 12 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I see the paranoid posts accusing people of being shills are back again, seems to happen every evening as it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gladrags wrote: »
    Agree, it looks as if Adams could well be the next taoiseach.

Sinn Feins numbers budget numbers don't hold up to scrutiny, we just need to hope there are enough intelligent people left in the country not swayed by populist politics. Wanna talk about promises not kept wait till you see the shinners backpeddling on the water and ltp if they ever get into power.

But thats incredibly off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

A Carrickmacross family claims they face water charges up to €4000 per annum, because they have accumulated a grand total of 13 children.

Listen here
    http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/13240/13219/02nd_October_2014_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_1

The taxpayer hands this family €21,000 per year in Child Benefit, no questions asked about these parents' bizarre, or negligent, reproductive choices.

OK, so be it. It's not necessarily any of our business how many kids they have.

But if the father of this household goes on radio looking for sympathy over his water bill, would you be inclined to be sympathetic towards him?

It's more a concern that the Gardai are needed at all.

Yeah it doesn't matter what shady deal you think has been happening. The guys should be allowed to do their job in peace and the Gardai shouldn't be pulled off their regular work.

Honestly you think if IW didn't exist and the local councils were installing meters everything would be fine?

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, and we could argue the points all night, the damage being done to community relations in the area's we've seen on video is immeasurable and will put those area's back years.
    Of that there is no doubt, the trust that was continually being developed is being destroyed day by day now.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I see the paranoid posts accusing people of being shills are back again, seems to happen every evening as it gets dark.

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sits back and let's this one go.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Yes I'd be sympathetic and it's a good example of why there should be a cap on water charges.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, and we could argue the points all night

Nah, people should be able to work in peace.

Residents are wasting Gardai resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

If the accessed charge is €424 and there are 4 adults in the house, how would it be beneficial to register?

Also, would anyone know what units are measured by the meter? Is it litres or cubic litres?

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    You reckon the lads should be left to be heckled, abused and potentially beaten instead?

Life's tough, isn't it....Sticks and stones and all that stuff....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement