Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big fire on Bray Head

• 15-07-2014 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭

So it's the summer holidays and that wonderful tradition is on us again whereby local kids set fire to Bray Head for fun and giggles.

:(

So young birds and small animals dying because some little scumbags want to play with matches.

opxRNPJ.jpg

Any ideas out there about how to prevent this happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

B0jangles wrote: »
    So it's the summer holidays and that wonderful tradition is on us again whereby local kids set fire to Bray Head for fun and giggles.

:(

So young birds and small animals dying because some little scumbags want to play with matches.

Any ideas out there about how to prevent this happening?

As you say, it's a traditional activity. Bray Head and the Cliff Walk should be in State ownership and part of the Wicklow National Park. I could go on but what's the point. I haven't been up to the Cross since 1989 and I was considering bringing my young children up there this summer but am wary of the sort of people who now appear to hang out up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Taken from Donegal County Council
    What are the causes?
    Uncontrolled fires happen for a variety of reasons, including people carelessly dropping cigarettes, leaving rubbish in an area, losing control of barbeques and bonfires, and in a small number of cases deliberately starting fires.

How to prevent wild fires on heaths

However, everyone can help to reduce the risk of fire so that Donegal’s countryside remains safe, by taking care during the dry summer months in particular. Firefighters are urging the public to help them to prevent these devastating fires occurring by following this preventative advice:

Smoking- If out walking or having a picnic, be sure to dispose of cigarettes and other smoking materials carefully and ensure that they are fully extinguished.

Barbeques- On most lands, it is actually illegal to light any fire, including barbeques, without the permission of the landowner.

Litter- Please take your litter home with you. Even a discarded glass bottle can start a fire.

Young People - Please educate children about the devastating consequences of causing fires.

The only way of stopping this from happening is education, but unfortunately you can only teach people who want to listen. There is nothing you can do with the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Nassau

Must be the day for fires - large fire in Castle St, behind 4 Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Yes it looks like the back of the bike shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It looks like it is turning into a really serious one this time;

8crC48P.jpg

The one about a week ago was fairly minor by comparison. Does occasionally wishing that one of the firestarters would accidentally set themselves a bit on fire make me a bad person?

BTW anyone getting the train home might want to keep an eye on the Irish Rail website, this might cause some problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

I was about to make a similar thread I couldn't see where the fire was originating my view was obscured but you can see the smoke everywhere in town, had to close my window because I could smell the smoke getting in. Terrible stuff if it was done on purpose.

Smoke seems to be getting worse, looks like it's covered over all of the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just got a call from my wife, who says the traffic is at a standstill on the M11 at Shankill because of it. She has an open top car and had the top down, and has had to close it because of the smell. NRA website stating full road closure :eek:

It's very bad - from where I am (north seafront) Bray Head is completely invisible due to the smoke; also the wind is coming from the south so it could well spread right around the side of the hill If anyone is still up there I'd be seriously concerned for their safely.

I looked on the internet unsurprisingly there's no darts running between Greystones and Bray so you'd be better off seeking alternative transport. As for the smoke it seems to have turned lighter in colour which is good. Hopefully it won't last too long, looks like the fire service have their work cut out for them today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I wouldn't be surprised if it was planned by higher powers. With the Airshow on sunday, if that fire happened on the day it would have to be abandoned no doubt. Precautionary measures to prevent an upset to a big event for the town, but of course the truth will never be known! :P *Grabs tinfoil hat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Smoke has made its way up to Loughlinstown (where I work). Its really obvious even this far up and its coming in the AC and stinking the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Smoke has made its way up to Loughlinstown (where I work). Its really obvious even this far up and its coming in the AC and stinking the building.

I can smell smoke in the air in Ballsbridge :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Is this from Bray Head or the Castle Street fire, which is worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Can smell it in DRUMCONDRA !!

Wow that must be bad

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Is this from Bray Head or the Castle Street fire, which is worse?

If its gotten as far as Ballsbridge, I'd say it's the Bray Head fire, a big cloud of smoke went up the coast about half an hour ago. The smoke is a lot lighter now so hopefully the fire brigade have been able to get the fire under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

italodisco wrote: »
    Can smell it in DRUMCONDRA !!

Wow that must be bad
    Strong southerly wind would be wafting it up into the city fairly rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Smoke obscuring all of clontarf sea front, visibility is dreadful, can barely see the ferry or the towers. Must be a huge fire, was just in St Anne's park and the smell of smoke is really strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Im watching from my garden, awful stuff.

Husband is stuck in traffic. Hope its cleared up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

There is a smell of smoke as far north as Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Can smell smoke and see hazy smoke in Dunshaughlin.

afYDXPk.jpg

Still going but a good bit less smoke than there was at the worst of it - you couldn't see the Head at all for a while.

Is there anyone here who has a view from the Greystones side?

Greystones problem now lol jk looks like it's blowing mostly out to sea anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Castle St one is still going. So much smoke. Hope there's not too much damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Could have started by natrual courses. Sun being reflected off Quartz in stone or through glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 duffwhack

I live on the Greystones side of Bray Head. No sign of a fire from here, I can't even see smoke. I think it's all blowing towards Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Can smell the smoke here in Portmarnock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

keano_afc wrote: »
    Castle St one is still going. So much smoke. Hope there's not too much damage.

Wondering if it was in the car tyre place ...would explain the thick black smoke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

The building of the bike shop is destroyed, roof burned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

I wouldn't be surprised if it was planned by higher powers. With the Airshow on sunday, if that fire happened on the day it would have to be abandoned no doubt. Precautionary measures to prevent an upset to a big event for the town, but of course the truth will never be known! :P *Grabs tinfoil hat*
    and man was never on the moon FFS :rolleyes:

Advertisement