Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of business studies online

Options
  • 15-07-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I am looking into doing the above course. Has anyone studied online with ucd and how have they found it? Also would I have access to the same facilities as a full time student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I am looking into doing the above course. Has anyone studied online with ucd and how have they found it? Also would I have access to the same facilities as a full time student?

I've just finished second year of the course. I have found it okay so far. There is alot of work involved so you have to be motivated especially if you are working full time.

You have access to all of the lecture slides and supplemental readings online via blackboard and all of the assignments are submitted online as well. You also get access to a huge amount of online journals and papers so you could do the assignments without going to the libary to get books. There are also six block release sessions which normally involve a full day of lectures on a Friday and Saturday usually in the Quinn building on campus.

You have access to all of the same facilities and services on campus that full time students have.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

PCX wrote: »
    I've just finished second year of the course. I have found it okay so far. There is alot of work involved so you have to be motivated especially if you are working full time.

You have access to all of the lecture slides and supplemental readings online via blackboard and all of the assignments are submitted online as well. You also get access to a huge amount of online journals and papers so you could do the assignments without going to the libary to get books. There are also six block release sessions which normally involve a full day of lectures on a Friday and Saturday usually in the Quinn building on campus.

You have access to all of the same facilities and services on campus that full time students have.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to help.

Thanks for the reply. Do they have any lectures online? How many hours a week should I expect to be putting in for 1st year?

Thanks for the reply. Do they have any lectures online? How many hours a week should I expect to be putting in for 1st year?

There are no lectures online. The lectures are given during the block release weekends. All of the slides are put up online after the lectures so if you miss some its not really a big deal.

In terms of hours per week it's hard to say. I think they recommend 16 but I don't think that's realistic. I think I put in probably more than that on an assignment week but alot less in between. If you are committed it's very doable.

There are no lectures online. The lectures are given during the block release weekends. All of the slides are put up online after the lectures so if you miss some its not really a big deal.

In terms of hours per week it's hard to say. I think they recommend 16 but I don't think that's realistic. I think I put in probably more than that on an assignment week but alot less in between. If you are committed it's very doable.

I that they recommend 120 hours over a 10 week period for a 5 credit module. That does seem a lot. But I suppose as you say some weeks you will put in more and some weeks you will put in less. I have to do an interview on Wednesday for it so hopefully it will go well. Did you have any previous 3rd level education prior to this course?

I that they recommend 120 hours over a 10 week period for a 5 credit module. That does seem a lot. But I suppose as you say some weeks you will put in more and some weeks you will put in less. I have to do an interview on Wednesday for it so hopefully it will go well. Did you have any previous 3rd level education prior to this course?

Okay they may say that they expect you to work for 36 hours per week on top of a full time job and personal life. I have not spoken to any person on the course who does that. In my opinion that is based on the number of hours that are required by the ECTS system for credits and not on a realistic estimate of the workload of the course.

In reality an average student will be able to gain a decent grade with less hours put in. I'm not saying it's easy or a light workload but certainly does not require 36 hours every week!

I wouldn't worry about the interview if I were you. It seemed like a bit of a formality to me as there were no difficult questions asked. I think they just want to make you aware of the course and work required. The course is there for non-traditional students so you don't need an academic background. Just seem enthusiastic and prepared to put the work in and you'll be offered a place I'd imagine.

Best of luck! I don't regret choosing the course and I hope that it works out for you too.

• Advertisement

Okay they may say that they expect you to work for 36 hours per week on top of a full time job and personal life. I have not spoken to any person on the course who does that. In my opinion that is based on the number of hours that are required by the ECTS system for credits and not on a realistic estimate of the workload of the course.

In reality an average student will be able to gain a decent grade with less hours put in. I'm not saying it's easy or a light workload but certainly does not require 36 hours every week!

I wouldn't worry about the interview if I were you. It seemed like a bit of a formality to me as there were no difficult questions asked. I think they just want to make you aware of the course and work required. The course is there for non-traditional students so you don't need an academic background. Just seem enthusiastic and prepared to put the work in and you'll be offered a place I'd imagine.

Best of luck! I don't regret choosing the course and I hope that it works out for you too.

Cheers for all the help. With a bit of luck I'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Hey guys just did the interview recently and have signed up for this coming September. Forms and deposit in. Looking forward to getting cracking!

Many thanks for the extra info PCX very useful! Just wondering did you drive into the campus for the block release? Trying to find out about the parking situation. Coming in from Kildare so public transport not an option.

How did you get on with your interview Duffff-man?? Found the staff very helpful with plenty of info given.

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    Hey guys just did the interview recently and have signed up for this coming September. Forms and deposit in. Looking forward to getting cracking!

Many thanks for the extra info PCX very useful! Just wondering did you drive into the campus for the block release? Trying to find out about the parking situation. Coming in from Kildare so public transport not an option.

How did you get on with your interview Duffff-man?? Found the staff very helpful with plenty of info given.

Hey Tin Cup,

Congratulations on getting the place on the course.

Parking at UCD for the Fridays can be a bit of a problem. You should be ok if you are parking by 9am. The only time I had a real problem finding a space was when we had a later start for the friday so the carparks were full. I spent about 30 mins driving around campus looking for a space.

If you have a later start I'd consider still going in early and getting something to eat.

There's loads of spaces on Saturdays.

Thanks for the info again PCX great stuff much appreciated! Hopefully not too expensive to park up for the day.

Hey guys, just wondering anyone else on Boards starting in Sept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 christos66

I'll be doing this course, looking forward to it, got my info pack today by email , bought the course books used on amazon,

You get the text book for each module given to you at the first block release. You pay for them as a part of your fees. Unless that has changed since i started.

If these are the ones you bought can you cancel the order?

Good to hear Christos66. Got the email myself this morning looking forward to getting started.

Hey PCX. On the Student Registration Pack I received this morning it included three recommended books (The Return to Academic Learning textbook will be provided during the Induction Weekend). It notes that the other two books are stocked by bookshops and available online. Looks like as you say it has changed. Would have been much handier to have all included in the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 christos66

Yeah I would have thought they'd be included but appears it's changed alright,

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Charliefoxtrot

I am thinking of applying for this course next year. Just wondering how the new guys are finding the course so far this year?
    Thanks!

Hey Charliefoxtrot,

Really enjoying the course. Finding it very hard to juggle work, family and time to study / do assignments. If you can manage your time well that seems to be half the battle. Great lecturers so far and the course materials provided really easy to follow.

Any more questions please post them up or drop me a PM.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Considering this course myself. How are you all getting on after your 1st year ? Any advice ?

Really enjoyed the first year have to say. Was just chatting to some of the others recently and looking forward to getting back for Year 2. Still waiting on results from last set of exams (due end of July) so all a little nervous about getting them.

Honestly, you have to make sure you have enough time to do the work is still the best advice. In particular from Christmas onwards some of us struggled to get back into the swing of things and made the second half of the year difficult. There was a bit of a gap from December to the next block release that made it difficult to focus on studying.

Would I sign up to start again? Definitely!

Well worth getting in contact with the Centre for Distance Learning and having a chat with them. Really helpful and will talk you through what you want from the course and if it will be a good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mad4road

Hi guys, I've recently spotted this course and it looks to suit me, so I'm going to apply for a place in the 2016 class. I'm just looking to see about getting accepted ?
    I've completed my leaving cert but that was 11 years ago and I've been in constant employment since. With my current company 10 years but not involved in a business or office role, more of an operative role. I'm hoping the course would help me progress up the ladder with the company though. Just looking to see what other guys had when they applied ? Or any tips on getting accepted !

Also has anyone got their fee's subsidized due to being part of a trade union ?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey guys, I have accepted an offer to begin the course in September 2016.

Does anyone know when they will give us the module study guides?

Also when will we get access to use online facilities like email etc...

Any help would be sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Hi, looks like I will also be joining in September 2016!. Looking forward to it! I have lots of questions, mostly related to non-college subjects such as parking, where to stay etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Just accepted an offer for this course myself

Advertisement