Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Things to do within 50km of Cork city

Options
  • 15-07-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Since such great ideas came from the Dublin thread, thought id start a Cork one.

A couple that I know of.

Fota
    Kinsale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Midleton Jameson Distillery
    Clonakilty beaches, model railway village, surfing, lissellan house and gardens, michael collins centre
    Youghal
    Kinsale Jamesfort, old head, charlesfort
    Blarney Castle
    Fitzgeralds park
    English Market
    Shandon Bells
    Lifetime lab
    Blackrock Castle and Observatory
    Elizabeth Fort
    UCC
    CORK CITY Gaol
    Spike Island
    Harbour cruises
    Dolphin and whale watching
    Crawfor Art Gallery
    Butter museum
    Gouganne Barra
    Military Museum
    visual arts centre
    Between city and county countless festivals
    Cobh heritage centre
    Kanturk Castle
    Barryscourt castle
    Part of wild atlantic way
    Triskel arts centre

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Great. Lots of ideas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I like heading to Kinsale... Lovely little down and beach is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Slightly over 50km is Lismore Castle which is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Rumleys farm in ballinhassig is supposed to be great for kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

You've listed several things in/around Cobh but don't forget the Titanic Museum - there's actually 3 museums as such in Cobh, i.e. The Heritage Centre, Titanic Museum and the Museum (in an old church building top of hill, above Heritage Centre).

Fota is again subdivided as you have the Gardens to wander Free, then the Wildlife Park and Fota House.

Fort Camden in Crosshaven, open at weekends throughout the Summer. Not to mention the numerous bays surrounding the village of Crosshaven.

Ballymaloe Cookery School for Pizza on Saturdays - fab to bring families too, as it's a beautiful area and you can pay a few euro to wander around the gardens/farm.

Don't forget our numerous Theatres - Everyman Palace Theatre, Opera House, Cat Club, Granary Theatre, Triskel, Firkin Crane.

When reading through such lists, makes you feel really proud to be living in Cork! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

+1 On Fort Camden........dont forget Spike!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

I really like the Mitchelstown Caves, add in a trip with a picnic to Glengarra Woods for a nice family day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Call down to my gaff, I've got Sky digi in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Old Gunpowder Mills in Ballincollig Loverly to walk around.
    Lots of geocaching areas.

Garryvoe Beach is great for walks, perri winkle picking, spotting all the unusual sea animals that get washed up.

Kilcrea abbey nice to go around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Ballycotton Way Cliff walk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Little know fact, Rory Gallagher wrote his song "A Million Miles Away" while looking out over a cliff at Ballycotton.

Beautiful walk.

I don't get Ballycotton myself, anytime we have gone down tis been a fail... Never tried the Cliff walk but then nothing else there would bring us down there so maybe that is why

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Milly33 wrote: »
    I don't get Ballycotton myself, anytime we have gone down tis been a fail... Never tried the Cliff walk but then nothing else there would bring us down there so maybe that is why

Hi Milly,

I know what you mean, but the cliff walk is lovely.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Milly,

Loire.

Not sure if the lighthouse is open to visitors yet. Should be worth a visit.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Milly,

Loire.

Might try it next time...
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

johnayo wrote: »
    Not sure if the lighthouse is open to visitors yet. Should be worth a visit.

Have you seen the prices?? Slight bit of a ripp off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

One thing that kids love is catching fish. This can be done easily and cheaply if your not fussy about what you catch. The likes of woodies and most discount/€2 shops will sell rod and reel packages for about a tenner. These arent great quality but will do fine for dropping baits down harbour walls fishing for small fish. Most tackle shops will have starter set ups for €20/30.
    A Euros worth of muscles or a few prawns from the fish shop will do nicely. Even asking for a few off cuts of a mackeral will work and be free. Use small hooks and make sure the bait isnt too big. Most rod packages usually come with a little bag of everything you need with hooks, floats and usually even a few jelly lures.

Even cheaper again is a bit of string with a bit of meat or fish tied to the end. Drop it over the wall and crabs will grab it and usually dont let go. Kids will have great fun catching them and have a compefition for who gets the biggest crab.

Any harbour will do for this. Cobh, kinsale, youghal etc are great as they are places you would go to anyway and 30mins spent catching a few fish or crabs will have the kids grinning.
    Monkstown pier, is another good spot to bring them and close enough to the city. Just turn up and fish 2 hours before or after high water as the water levels are too low near low tide.

Most fish caught in places like this will be juvenile and not big enough to keep so please respect them and put them back. Unhooking and a pic with the child should be done quickly and then let it be dropped back into the water.
    Enjoy. Anyone who wants any detailed info send me a pm and ill do my best to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What a great thread - loads of good ideas here. Roches Point is a great spot as well. We go down to visit our neighbours and let the dog have a free run. Nice place to really unwind and relax watching the boats go by.

Another one here for Garryvoe beach. Garrettstown is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Some great spots between the harbour and Kinsale.
    Crosshaven
    Graball Bay
    Church Bay
    Fennell's Bay
    Myrtleville
    Fountainstown
    Ringabella
    Robert's Cove
    Rocky Bay
    Newfoundland Bay
    Nohoval Cove
    Oysterhaven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Doneraile wildlife Park is well worth a visit and I think gets 300,000 visitors a year. It's free and has a great playground.

Also, just over the 50k mark is the Donkey Sanctury. I was there on Wednesday and it is a beautiful place to visit and bring a picnic. I couldn't get over how many people were there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

anyone try the toy soldier factory in Killnamartyra?
    Thinking of bringing the sprogs some weekend, they can make & paint a few fairies and hussars

+1 on Doneraile Park, bring a picnic, the place is fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ecleary

me and the auld shoe headed to kinsale last sunday and rented a wee outboard boat for an hour and a half, it cost 60 euros which fairly good

was a great bit of craic

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

anyone try the toy soldier factory in Killnamartyra?
    Thinking of bringing the sprogs some weekend, they can make & paint a few fairies and hussars

+1 on Doneraile Park, bring a picnic, the place is fab.

It is a bit of a spin from the City, but it's kinda cool tbh.
    Woman there was very friendly and helpful.

If the kids are into the arts/crafts and fairies it's a good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheReaver

Killeagh Woods is great for an afternoon out with smallie's It has a playground just before the woods as well. Curraghbinny woods is great but might have a few too many steep slopes for little ones!

Advertisement