Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie looking at entering computing

Options
  • 15-07-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm currently working full-time after qualifying with an Arts Degree, but I'm considering my options in terms of my career - I'm not yet 30 and am not averse to trying something new.

The idea of working in computing is intriguing, particularly on the software side, but I'm not sure which area would be best and while I can work a computer I imagine my knowledge is quite basic from an academic level.

I would be interested in doing a course in this area with a view of working in this area in the medium-term, but financially I can't afford to give up work to go full-time. I would like to, therefore, do a part-time or online course (perhaps not possible in computing) but I really don't know where to begin looking at what my options might be.

I wouldn't be averse to doing an introductory course to build a base of knowledge and see if it's for me, but I would like anything that I do to be respected (in terms of accreditation and recognition etc.)

Any and all advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I'm not sure about online. I know that there are lots of it courses available in dublin part time. Have you look at the open university for courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Have a look at courses under the ICT conversion programme, or under skillsnets.ie

Many of them are part time or blended learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Go to the various University and Institute of Technologies websites, pick out a few part-time courses and we can advise you.

Advertisement