Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horned Paw- Cat(pic)

• 15-07-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I came across a growth on my cat's back foot. (see pics) From looking it up on-line I think its a horned paw. Has anyone here any experience of these?

I'm bringing him to the vet on Saturday just to get it checked but also to get the test for FIV because some of the sites said that this Cutaneous horn and bad teeth are both signs of immune problems :( And Jack has had 4 teeth removed in the last 2 years. At the time the vet mentioned the cat flu and it's link to the teeth but with the appearance of this I am a bit concerned it's more than that.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of these things?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I took in a stray who has one on his back paw. Haven't had it looked at by a vet though because he's still semi feral and you can't pick him up or approach him.

Mentioned it to the vet though and he didn't seem too concerned, said they were common in stray cats :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DorInTheWall

Yup, my cat has those. Several of her paw pads have little tips to them but only one has a proper growth as in your picture. The vet gave it a trim for me when we were last but he said he could remove it if I wanted. She's not quite a year yet so I'm going to keep an eye on how quickly it regrows. She was negative for FIV,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Thanks for that. yeah Jack was a stray when I took him in, so he is not the most affectionate cat in the world. Usually if I am seeing his back feet it's because he wants to play- meaning rip my arm to shreds :p He was in good mood yesterday so I got to see his feet :( no idea how long it's been there.

I'm concerned for the FIV because he was also a fighter, he is indoors not for the last 3 years but before that he was bitten a few times in fights.

Some of the vets online have said that they think it might be a virus causing the horned paw and the bad teeth. Hard to know, think I'll just get the test to rule it out.

Advertisement