Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American visiting Ireland trying to go to hurling in thurles

• 15-07-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So I am an America visiting Ireland for the first time for a short period of time this month. I will be in Dublin for three nights. I have heard great things about hurling and would like to go see a match while I am there. I see there is a big match in Thurles while I am there on 27 July.

questions...

How would I go about getting tickets? I dont see any for sale?

Is it easy to get from Dublin to Thurles?

Anything else I should know?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So I am an America visiting Ireland for the first time for a short period of time this month. I will be in Dublin for three nights. I have heard great things about hurling and would like to go see a match while I am there. I see there is a big match in Thurles while I am there on 27 July.

questions...

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

There is a double header in Thurles on that date; Tipperary vs Dublin and Limerick vs Wexford/Waterford.... it's the All-Ireland quarter-finals (which despite the name, only actually has 2 matches). Big games, and it should be a very good atmosphere.

You might have trouble getting tickets if it was to be a sellout, and I'm not sure if it will be.... on first instance, I would doubt it to be honest.

I heard the tickets were on sale, I think it might be as a package with a semi-final though. Wexford and Wateford are playing this weekend, and they winners will be playing on the 27th, so I imagine tickets will go on general sale after that.

Tickets.ie is definitely your best bet if you're only coming from abroad, they sell them in shops locally, but you'd probably want to have them in advance. I'd try next Monday.

You can get a train from Dublin to Thurles pretty easily, and with Dublin playing in the match, there will definitely be trains going in plenty of time for the match and back afterwards.

As for general advice, I'm sure people here will be able to offer some. I would just advise arriving in Thurles early enough on the day, maybe around 12pm... soak up the atmosphere around the town, get a drink, some food... it's great on match day tbf.

Hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

questions...

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

You will be able pre-buy tickets but they will be available at the ground on the day so I would not bother.

You can get a train from Dublin to Thurles. The train station is less than 10 mins walk to the stadium.

Bring some sunscreen its going to be a hot one, and enjoy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There are two qualifiers to happen before the quarter finals so tickets will only be on sale the week before.

It probably won't be a sellout so you could probably just pay in on the day but they should be on sale in centra outlets (local shops) or tickets.ie. Thurles is about a two hour drive via bus or car. Train is also an option but as Dublin are playing it might be harder to get tickets for that than the match itself ;).

Best of luck and enjoy the day if you make it.

EDIT: Much too slow typing all been covered by the above posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Make sure to book the train tickets as well if you're going that way! I saw people having to get a later train before because they hadn't booked them. You could be in danger of missing some of the action!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

As previous people mentioned your best bet is tickets.ie you can buy them online now for just the quarter final and print the tickets yourself.

Take the train or drive. If going by train you can book tickets on irishrail.ie

Be sure to support Tipp ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Don't forget to buy a hat, flag or headband.

Bring a few tinnies onto the train.
    And enjoy the games

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

And please spread the gospel back stateside about our games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 clueless american

haha I had to look up 'tinnies'

i am very excited about seeing hurling. i watched some youtube videos and it looks like a good time.

any idea on ticket prices?

haha I had to look up 'tinnies'

i am very excited about seeing hurling. i watched some youtube videos and it looks like a good time.

any idea on ticket prices?

It is a great spectacle... even if you're not 100% sure of the rules, the fast pace and high scoring (generally) make it very enjoyable.

Ticket prices depend on whether you're in the terrace or in the stand... probably a better atmosphere in the terrace, but the stand is probably more comfortable and a better view.

I would guess that terrace will be around €20 and stand around €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

They charged €25 ahead last Saturday in portlaoise for the terrace so twill be about the same again,ya'll get tickets on the day at the stadium just make sure to be there early to get the ticket in yr hand and have a few beers before match cos the craic should be mighty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You can book train tickets on irishrail.ie. It's on the Cork/Dublin line which is the busiest with most trains, also trains from Dublin-Limerick that stop there so it's one of the best served train stations to Dublin in the Country!

Great town on match day, with the teams involved and games we've seen so far this year there should be an attendance of around 35,000 which will bring a very good atmosphere.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=SEMPLE+STADIUM+SEATING+PLAN&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=45XFU9GJJsmD4gSevYH4BA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=667#imgdii=_

Above is a seating plan to help you if you are buying tickets in advance. Rows go from A (front row) to Z. Old Stand (Kinnane Stand) is my favourite spot and I would recommend somewhere central in about row L-Z in the 10' (uncovered part) if it's sunny or if not A-H in the 20' section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Book your train on www.irishrail.ie

Basically, you pick a train and seat. You collect your tickets with a booking reference number at a machine in Heuston Station in Dublin.

It's a little credit card size paper card. That's your return ticket.

Your name will be displayed over your seat on an electronic tag. All relatively straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

You can buy tickets for the game from the GAA website already.

€30 seating or €20 standing on the terraced ends. Tickets can be printed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

To reiterate

1) Buy a train ticket in advance, for as early as possible in the day;
    2) You'll pick up a ticket easy enough in Thurles on the day;
    3) When arriving in Thurles just ask directions for The Square and head in there to soak up the atmosphere pre-match (assuming you've arrived early that is);
    4) Down your last pint 45 minutes before the start (the throw in it is called) of the first match and start the walk up to the ground;
    5) Note you wont need to go back to The Square to get to the train station after the match. Just ask directions, as it is very close. If you have time for a pint after the match ask directions for Mackey's pub as tis on the way to the train station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Keep an eye on the Irish Rail website over the next week. It is possible that Irish Rail will lay on special trains to/from Thurles for the match.

any guidance on stands vs. terrace? it seems like it would be a long time to stand if i did the terrace, but i would love a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    2) You'll pick up a ticket easy enough in Thurles on the day;

Good advice but on this it would be easier to print off the ticket at home and have one less thing to worry about in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

It really comes down to preference. The terrace is a good atmosphere but personally I find it's hard to see the action at the other end of the pitch. The pitch is much bigger than a soccer pitch and it's a small ball. Also for two matches it's a long stand. If you're going for the stand I'd buy the ticket beforehand. If you buy on the day you can get assigned a random seat in the corner even when the place is empty.

There's actually three matches on. There will be a minor (under 18) match played first of all at 12 o'clock, some of these are very good. To be honest I wouldn't bother in your case. It'll make it a very long day and you won't get to soak up the atmosphere beforehand. Fans hanging out in the square won't be there before you go to the stadium if you're going in that early.

The beauty of Thurles is that it's a 53,000 capacity stadium in a town with a population of less than 8,000. The match takes over the entire place. You won't get lost. If unsure just follow the crowd or ask, they'll all be going to the match as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

any guidance on stands vs. terrace? it seems like it would be a long time to stand if i did the terrace, but i would love a good atmosphere.

Personally, I would go with the stands as you are not familar with the sport. You will get a much better view and appreciation of the sport from the stand I think.

There should be a good atmosphere throughout the stadium.

Personally, I would go with the stands as you are not familar with the sport. You will get a much better view and appreciation of the sport from the stand I think.

I'd probably go along with that.

• Advertisement

also, should i buy rail tickets now or wait to see if they are going to run a special?

tickets purchased! ill be in the old stand, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Yes definitely the way to go. I always try to get a ticket for the Old Stand in Thurles, brilliant view from there. Not too near the front or too high up if you can, you will enjoy it better.
    On matchday you will meet guys around the stadium selling tickets, avoid these guys at all costs, they are touts and usually have Dublin accents.
    You will also meet lots of genuine people with spare tickets, usually dressed in their county colours, just happy to get 'face value' for a ticket. But it's best to have your ticket before you arrive and enjoy the pre-match atmosphere in the town.
    Finally, since Limerick will probably wear the coolest shirt of all 4 teams that day, green and white, I would recommend that they are the team you should support.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

also, should i buy rail tickets now or wait to see if they are going to run a special?

Buy train tickets right now on iris rail.is to get the best price and pick a seat. Get to Thurles around 11.30 /12 noon and leave the station and station yard and keep walking straight down Friar Street till you get to Liberty Sq which is main street. There will be burger vans and stalls set up selling headbands flags etc. The square is full of pubs! All of which will be doing a roaring trade even at that time! Go to Hayes Hotel. Its a kip (its actually in receivership) but the pub food part is open. The food is hot tasty and reasonably priced and the atmosphere is good. The Hotel is the birthplace of the GAA.
    The star of the Tipp team is Lar Corbett. He has am eponymous pub at the top of the square, but its a bit of a teeny bopper place if you know what I mean. Kids of 18 can drink legally in Ireland and drinking is a very popular pastime.
    If you leave Hayes and turn left and walk for 5 minutes you will cross a bridge and see a bird sanctuary. 2 more minutes and you can go into the magenificent RC cathedral and light a candle for Tipp. Its a twenty to twenty five minute walk back from there to the stadium and EVERYBODY is walking. Small kids snd grannies and teenagers and their girlfriends.There is copious on street drinking but its good natured. The atmosphere builds as you approach the stadium.
    If you book trains online you must stick to those trains .the tickets are nontransferable.
    Thurles is a typical large Irish market town. Lots of businesses have folded in the recession and are boarded up.
    A good smattering of Dubs will be around on the day.
    Enjoy yourself.

Oh yeah. Prepare to be both sunburnt and drenched, and you need walking shoes. As mentioned, the train station is very near to the stadium. Beware of pickpockets.

It depends on how much time you want to spend in Thurles. The regular Sunday train service wouldn't be all that frequent. So if you book a regular train now, you may have a wait of a couple of hours before or after the game. (Or you may not, I haven't looked at the timetable yet.) But the special trains are usually timed to get you into town about 45 mins to an hour before the game & leave about 45 mins to hour after the game. It won't leave you with tons of time before and after the game to kill. Its up to you to decide which schedule suits you best.

Another option for you would be to get the bus down. The intercity buses depart from Buaras in the city centre, beside Connolly Station. (Don't worry. They are much nicer, cleaner and safer than their US Greyhound equivilent.) The bus journey will take a bit longer than the train. But if you want to see more of the Irish countryside and see some of the provincial towns along the way, you'll see them better from the bus, than you will from the train. I'm not sure if Bus Eireann service Thurles as part of their regular intercity route, but they usually put run special buses from Dublin, for the big matches in Thurles.

You can check schedules and fares at www.buseireann.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Prepare to be both sunburnt and drenched, and you need walking shoes. As mentioned, the train station is very near to the stadium. Beware of pickpockets.

Never heard of anybody getting pickpocketed at a match in Thurles, no need to scare him

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It depends on how much time you want to spend in Thurles. The regular Sunday train service wouldn't be all that frequent. So if you book a regular train now, you may have a wait of a couple of hours before or after the game. (Or you may not, I haven't looked at the timetable yet.) But the special trains are usually timed to get you into town about 45 mins to an hour before the game & leave about 45 mins to hour after the game. It won't leave you with tons of time before and after the game to kill. Its up to you to decide which schedule suits you best.

Another option for you would be to get the bus down. The intercity buses depart from Buaras in the city centre, beside Connolly Station. (Don't worry. They are much nicer, cleaner and safer than their US Greyhound equivilent.) The bus journey will take a bit longer than the train. But if you want to see more of the Irish countryside and see some of the provincial towns along the way, you'll see them better from the bus, than you will from the train. I'm not sure if Bus Eireann service Thurles as part of their regular intercity route, but they usually put run special buses from Dublin, for

the big matches in Thurles.

You can check schedules and fares at www.buseireann.ie

Sadly there is no bus eireann service to Thurles at all on any day of the week, as the rail service is so comprehensive. I've checked and there are trains from 8.30 am onwards and returning up till 8.30pm.

Never heard of anybody getting pickpocketed at a match in Thurles, no need to scare him

Not scaring really. Sean ORourke of RTE had his wallet stolen st a Munster Final in Thurles some years ago. Better be warned then have the whole day spoiled.

• Advertisement

How long do matches usually last? I'm trying to figure out which train to take back. It looks like the second match starts at 4pm, would I be able to make a 630pm train?

How long do matches usually last? I'm trying to figure out which train to take back. It looks like the second match starts at 4pm, would I be able to make a 630pm train?

The match lasts about 90 minutes. (There are two 35 minute halves, with a 15 minute break for half time.) So provided there is a clear winner at the end of the game, it would all be over around 5.30pm. Even with everyone leaving at the same time, that would still be plenty of time for you to get back to the station for 6.30. The only hiccup is that it is quite common for games to be tied at the end of the 70 minutes. If it is, an extra 20 minutes of extra time is played. You'd probably still make it, just don't dawdle on the way to the train station.

The good thing about getting a special match bus or train, is that it won't leave Thurles until the game is over. If you get a regularly scheduled train, it will make its scheduled departure per the time table, so as not to hold up the trains arrival at other stops along the route. It won't wait for match goers who are delayed at the game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not 100% sure but I think a quarter final might go straight to a replay with no extra time, can't seem to find confirmation anywhere though.

I'd aim for the 1904 train (or 19:37), just so you are not hurrying / worrying about getting there on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

later train the better.
    enjoy the atmosphere in the town afterwards.
    go for a drink or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Get the later train.

Mix with people, the great thing about our games is the vast, vast majority of supporters are friendly and pleasant people to mix with.

I'll be a Dublin supporter travelling down and I can't wait.

Thurles is a wonderful place to enjoy our games.

• Advertisement

I ended up booking an early train down there, arriving around 11, but had to get an early train back for someone catching a flight.

can someone give me a brief summary of the teams who are playing? there are 4 of us, so maybe we will all support a different team or all support one. i definitely want to get a scarf, headband, or shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tipperary v dublin
    Limerick v Waterford or Wexford( this game will be played this weekend).
    Youll get hats scarfs and headbands around the stadium on the morning of the game ...... Up the premier 😜

sorry, i should have said give me a description of the teams.

if anyone knows any american sports teams to compare them to, that would be helpful.

like do some of these teams win every year, any underdogs, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

sorry, i should have said give me a description of the teams.

if anyone knows any american sports teams to compare them to, that would be helpful.

like do some of these teams win every year, any underdogs, etc.

Tipperary would be seen as one of the traditional big 3 teams alongside Kilkenny & Cork - they've won the All-Ireland Senior Championship 26 times out of 126 years . Their recent form hasn't been great and they have been in a bit of a slump the last few years.

Dublin have won the hurling All-Ireland 6 times but the last of those was in 1938. They have had a renaissance in the last few years but would be regarded as being a bit of a way off challenging for All-Ireland glory still.

Limerick, Waterford & Wexford would be regarded as decent hurling counties but wouldn't be regarded as amongst the very top-tier of hurling counties.
    Limerick have 7 All-Irelands, Wexford 6 and Waterford 2.

Teams are based on geographical areas and you rarely get transfers of players between inter-county teams. [You will get the very odd one but they are few and far between for the most part]

Trying to describe them in terms of American teams is very tricky - don't have enough knowledge really - Tipp would be a kingpin, while the others would be decent, solid teams [they're all among the top 12 teams intercounty teams in Ireland]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship

Boom Boom covers it fairly well, I'll add my 2c. Don't know anything about American sports to compare.

Tipp would be one of the traditional "big three", slightly behind Cork & KK. They have some very talented players, they won an All-Ireland a few years ago, but haven't really lived up to those heights since. Didn't win a game in the Championship last year, were knocked out by Limerick again this year, but have regrouped to get a couple of wins in a row. People are interested to see whether the players can live up to their potential. There is a stereotype that Tipp are talented, but can be a bit "soft" and don't always have the hunger to close out a tight game... they'll probably be anxious to prove that wrong now.

They're playing Dublin. Dublin hurling has come on a lot in recent years, they would have been seen as weak even 7 or 8 years ago. Now, they're right up there with most of the teams. A lot of work went in at underage level, starting to produce the players... even though some of their best players are playing football instead (Dublin would be the best football team in Ireland). Stereotype probably is that they are very athletic, strong and pacy... but maybe lacking the skilful forwards that the very best teams have. They can be a bit hit-and-miss, they same to have a good year then a bad year... and after a very good year last year, they haven't been very impressive so far this year.

Limerick are class :cool: best supporters in the country :pac:

Obviously as I'm from Limerick, I'm going to be biased. Once a strong team, they've been also-rans for a while, had lots of hard luck stories. They have specialised in glorious defeats in recent years. But things are finally starting to come together... they won a provincial title last year but flopped in the All-Ireland semi-final. They definitely don't want a repeat of that this year but people doubt whether they are good enough to win an All-Ireland, but they will be favourites to beat Wexford or Waterford. Stereotype is that they play with "passion", wear their heart on the sleeve, "blood and guts" "fire and brimstone" type play. Some believe they don't necessarily have skilful players but I disagree with that one, obviously :P

Waterford had a great team in the 2000s, but failed to win an All-Ireland with their "golden generation". Pretty much all those players have retired, and it's back to the drawing board..... they have a very young panel, with lots of inexperienced players. The general view is probably that they are a few years from challenging at the top table again. Another team who do heartbreak very well.

Wexford haven't been great for years, would have been traditionally pretty strong. So a lot of people are saying "it's great for the game that Wexford are getting good again". They just knocked out the champions of last year, Clare, after a replay, which will be a big confidence boost. Again, a lot of young players, and a side who are progressing nicely. I think the stereotype is big and strong, very physical and prone to missing very good chances. They don't make things easy for themselves or their supporters, that's for sure.

• Advertisement

Tipp, Kilkenny and Cork are like the NY Yankies fairly consistent winners everybody else is like the Boston Red Sox and win one or two occasionally usually separated by decades. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I ended up booking an early train down there, arriving around 11, but had to get an early train back for someone catching a flight.

Seeing as you are down early ye might want to pop into Hayes Hotel where the GAA was founded in 1884.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes'_Hotel

Of the 4 teams playing:

Tipp - New York yankees (way more titles that the other teams playing on the day)

Limerick - Boston Red Sox (before 2004, i.e. seem to be cursed and never win)

Waterford / Wexford - LA Dodgers? Would have won a title here and there but a long time ago.

Dublin - I dunno? Is there any baseball team that was 'on the up' the last few years but didnt win a world series and now dont really look like they are gonna get better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Funnily enough I'd liken limerick to the NY Jets (I support both as well) not just because they both play in green but because their last time in the big time was a long time ago. Both come the odd time and win their division (limerick Munster and NY AFC east) but it always seems to end in tears but the fans never give up on them.

Both would have an intense rivalry with the neighbours NY have the Patriots and Limerick have Tipp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'd liken Tipp to the Chicago Bulls in NBA. Not quite as successful as the top teams Cork and Kilkenny for hurling, Lakers and Celtics for the NBA and the bulk of their titles were a good few years ago but both would always be regarded as a big team.

Would probably liken Wexford to the Kansas city chiefs. Not much historic success down through the years and had a few blowout seasons recently but are starting to come good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

Dublin - I dunno? Is there any baseball team that was 'on the up' the last few years but didnt win a world series and now dont really look like they are gonna get better?

Texas rangers :eek: one strike from winning the World Series and lost, lost again following year, if I'm correct. Bottom of AL west now

It would be interesting to hear what you think of the experience. If you can, post back here with how you found the whole day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

All the Counties have nicknames as well which you will probably here at the games:

Limerick-The Treaty (County)
    Tipperary-The Premier (County)
    Dublin-The Dubs (original, I know)
    Waterford- The Déise (or Daysha phonetically)
    Wexford- The Yellow Bellies

• Advertisement
Advertisement