Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American visiting Ireland trying to go to hurling in thurles

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

sorry, i should have said give me a description of the teams.

if anyone knows any american sports teams to compare them to, that would be helpful.

like do some of these teams win every year, any underdogs, etc.

Ok I will attempt to compare the 4/5 potential quarter finalists to NFL teams.

Tipperary - New England Patriots. 2 All Ireland's since turn of millennium isn't a great haul for a county like Tipp. Have a total of 26 all Ireland's so in the top 3 teams traditionally along with Cork and Kilkenny.

Wexford - Buffalo Bills. Great tradition. Can be a match for anyone on their day. Quiet for last number of years much like the bills but may be building something again.

Waterford - Dallas Cowboys. Most over hyped team ever. Probably a lot of peoples second team. Play with great flair but are very flakey and can implode at any time. Had a golden generation of players that won regional championship a few times. Much like Jerry Jones and interwrangling with the cowboys waterford's backroom team can undermine them as well.

Limerick - San Francisco 49er's. Passionate Fanbase and play with huge physicality but perennial chokers when the pressure is on. Could have a big say this year again.

Dublin - Carolina Panthers - Team doesn't have many attacking weapons and is built around defence. They are probably both underachieving and sleepign giants. Again both are capable of claiming a big scalp on their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Blue and Gold, I'm sorry to be pedantic but I don't like people getting that wrong. Tipp have enough problems with self confidence without being called 'yella'

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Only seeing this now. Did it occur to no one to advise this chap to get in touch with a hurling club in dublin so he could get the bus down and back with them.
    There must be a good few club buses going.
    Is it too late even now I wonder to dump the train and change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Only seeing this now. Did it occur to no one to advise this chap to get in touch with a hurling club in dublin so he could get the bus down and back with them.
    There must be a good few club buses going.
    Is it too late even now I wonder to dump the train and change.

he had to be back to get out to Dublin airport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Ok I will attempt to compare the 4/5 potential quarter finalists to NFL teams.

Tipperary - New England Patriots. 2 All Ireland's since turn of millennium isn't a great haul for a county like Tipp. Have a total of 26 all Ireland's so in the top 3 teams traditionally along with Cork and Kilkenny.

Wexford - Buffalo Bills. Great tradition. Can be a match for anyone on their day. Quiet for last number of years much like the bills but may be building something again.

Waterford - Dallas Cowboys. Most over hyped team ever. Probably a lot of peoples second team. Play with great flair but are very flakey and can implode at any time. Had a golden generation of players that won regional championship a few times. Much like Jerry Jones and interwrangling with the cowboys waterford's backroom team can undermine them as well.

Limerick - San Francisco 49er's. Passionate Fanbase and play with huge physicality but perennial chokers when the pressure is on. Could have a big say this year again.

Dublin - Carolina Panthers - Team doesn't have many attacking weapons and is built around defence. They are probably both underachieving and sleepign giants. Again both are capable of claiming a big scalp on their day.

Disagree with these comparisons, I'd have Tipp as the Cowboys, over inflated sense of their own importance, every other team hates them and they haven't won nearly enough to justify the hype.

Also in what sense are the 49ers "perennial chokers"? Don't get that at all, they are one of the most successful teams in NFL history. I'd compare Limerick to the Buffalo Bills. Occasionally went close, never getting over the line. Sometimes losing in heartbreaking fashion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

adrian522 wrote: »
    Disagree with these comparisons, I'd have Tipp as the Cowboys, over inflated sense of their own importance, every other team hates them and they haven't won nearly enough to justify the hype.

Also in what sense are the 49ers "perennial chokers"? Don't get that at all, they are one of the most successful teams in NFL history. I'd compare Limerick to the Buffalo Bills. Occasionally went close, never getting over the line. Sometimes losing in heartbreaking fashion.

yup, I was thinking Tipp are like the cowboys too. Like to think they are the big boys, but mainly rely on historical wins to try assert their dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Every team hates each other. It's healthy competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

26 all Irelands not enough

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

26 all Irelands not enough

2 in 23 years and just 4 in over 40 years. I'd say they are living on past glories. Like a certain Dallas based NFL team.

Clare have 3 in the last 20 years. Even Offaly have 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Skyrim wrote: »
    Every team hates each other. It's healthy competition.

No. Everyone else Does hate Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't hate Tipp. Why on earth should I? Dublin and Tipp don't have a long enough playing history together for us to hate either. Even if we lose to them on Sunday week, I still won't leave Thurles hating them. I imagine most Dubs feel the same way.

But if we lose to Meath on Sunday in the football....now THAT is a whole other can of worms ! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

citykat wrote: »

Fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

If you see "Kat" or "cat" in a name here, that indicates a Kilkenny native. They tend to be into hating their neighbours, Tipperary. Lovely people. There's a lot if that in neighbouring counties, just that it's worse in some than others. Watch how this thread goes from here.....
    Luckily, there shouldn't be too much hating at the matches you're heading for. Certainly not Dublin v Tipperary. It'll be tough, but there's no bad blood. Lots of Tipp people living in Dublin and will support Dublin all the way if they do beat Tipp. Stick to the train, soak it up, and enjoy the day. 😊

Not just Kilkenny though. Plenty of people in Limerick, Clare, Galway, Cork, Offaly etc with no great love of Tipperary, hence the comparison with the cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I think Tipps biggest problem is it borders 9 counties, so where maybe when Cork or Kilkenny Win its 5 at most but pretty much everyone heres about it when Tipp win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

No. Your from Kilkenny so you hate Tipp. They spoilt your party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

**** Looks at thread title, sees totally off topic posts about hating, scratches head, gives a resigned sigh, leaves thread ***

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

So you know everyone then? That's a first. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

If the games get tight you better have your friends prepared for strong language,eg,"Yarra will you pick the Fu*ck*n ball up you useless fu*ck*r,Take that B*llox of and put someone on who is able to lift the ball",and that's probably the nicer stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not just Kilkenny though. Plenty of people in Limerick, Clare, Galway, Cork, Offaly etc with no great love of Tipperary, hence the comparison with the cowboys.

Since when do the people of just 6 counties constitute "everyone" ? :confused::confused::confused:
    jprboy wrote: »
    **** Looks at thread title, scratches head, gives a resigned sigh, leaves thread ***

Well the easy part of this thread has been done & dusted. Getting the OP to Thurles. Now the important stuff starts. Telling him who to shout for & why. :D

Agree with the above poster...OP, if bad language offends you, you'd better get a set of ear plugs. I'd also get terrace tickets, as you can easily move to a different part of the terrace if someone is being particularly vociferous in that regard. If you get a seat in the stands, you are kinda stuck there.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Since when do the people of just 6 counties constitute "everyone" ? :confused::confused::confused:

Well when I said everyone it was pretty tongue in cheek. People taking stuff waaaaay too literally on here. 3 confused smileys? Really?

After all not "everyone" hates the Cowboys either. In fairness most hurling counties border Tipperary which may have something to with it, but their fans attitude to winning also doesn't help.

They also absolutely destroy their own team as soon as one or 2 bad results come along. Reference the defeat against Cork in 2010 and how that was received for 1 example.

I appreciate that you are more into football than hurling which would be the reason you quote Meath as your biggest rivals or most disliked team, but in terms of hurling who would it be? Kilkenny i guess but I don't think Dublin have been strong enough for long enough to have built up any real intense hurling rivalries.

Anyway I posted up the Cowboys reference as a bit of a joke but some people on here taking things way too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

To.let ye know, for sunday, if buying online, both stands appear to be sold on tickets.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

bennyl10 wrote: »
    To.let ye know, for sunday, if buying online, both stands appear to be sold on tickets.ie

Already wexford fans losein the plot like last week we took over Nowlan park i got mine for stand anyway stand was on it earlier!!! Just tried there still old stand tickets on tickets.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

sjb25 wrote: »
    Already wexford fans losein the plot like last week we took over Nowlan park i got mine for stand anyway stand was on it earlier!!!

Tried to get one stand and was told not available! (Attached pic)

Bunch of us from limerick in the terrace anyway, we'll certanly try match ye ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You picked great games to go to.

The place will be packed.
    Enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

2 poor spectacles unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Poor matches both excitement and quality wise. Poor atmosphere during the 2nd match aswell at least from the watching on the TV, could be different in Thurles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

To the Original poster,

As said already, bad aul games, but what did you think of it all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    You picked great games to go to.

:eek:!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

:eek:!!!

Their crystal ball must've been faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 16 clueless american

i made a new post about my impressions of the match, sorry, didnt know if i should just post here or make a new thread... thanks for all the help and advice here!

Advertisement