Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Dublin Swim

• 15-07-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭

Just in case anyone is interested in doing it.

http://greatdublinswim.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Timely reminder - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Cottonballs

FYI folks - I got a mail yesterday (or the day before) saying that this has been moved from Grand Canal Dock to the Docklands, down by the Jeanie Johnston. It looks to be something similar to the NAC Masters swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

35 euro seems very steep...

Have to say, totally agree. Hard to compare price wise with the other swims I've done this summer, all v.different, but it does seem really steep for it.

Have to say, totally agree. Hard to compare price wise with the other swims I've done this summer, all v.different, but it does seem really steep for it.

Yeah there seems to be quite big variations in the price of events. And it's not like they can say they're charging more for the spectacular scenery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Only 20 for swim Ireland members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not terrible tbh, a lot of open water events here are in the £30-40 range.

Not terrible tbh, a lot of open water events here are in the £30-40 range.

I know loads are that price alright, but when there are a good few that are 20/25 as well, it just doesn't seem to make sense. And I never renewed my swim Ireland membership this year.

I'm guessing the insurance costs etc are quite high simply down to location and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

I reckon the extra 15 euro is to cover you for insurance purposes, this will probably cover you for either just one swim or the rest of the season, I normally get a notification around October to pay my Master fees for the next season.

• Advertisement

Oh actually, this is also a timing chip race so there is the extra cost to factor in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mermaria

It's a swim open to everybody so Swim Ireland members have to pay the insurance extra when they are actually cover by their membership. It doesn't make any sense for SI swimmers enter this swim ... 750 meters or 1500 meters ... it's a swim directed to promote the open doors swimming to general public

The price was more reasonable earlier in the season, like an early bird discount I guess. Should be a good day out if the numbers come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

just signed up to the 750 wave at 9am. I cant complete the 1.5 in 50 mins or under. Anyone driving over from the Blanchardstown area?

I'm entered in the 1500 but I haven't seen an email or a facebook update with the wave allocations or start times - anybody know?

Also, what time is sign-on and where? :)

This is all I have at moment. Not sure if its set in stone though.

J.F Dunne Insurance Great Dublin Swim

(WAVES) 0900 am NOVICE / FUN Wave 1 750 Meters   

1000 am IMMEDIATE Wave 2 1500 Meters (Swimmers with times between 35 Min – 50 Minutes) 1100 am

ADVANCED Wave 3 1500 Meters 25min – 35.00 Min) 12.00 pm ELITE Wave 1500 Meters   ***** Please note this include Elite Masters ***** (Swimmers with times between 15min – 25Min) 

Signing on id say is like the NAC swim there is a spot opposite Jurys Hotel down at the Jeanie Johnson. There is an automated gate that will be adequate.

Excellent, thanks. I didn't do the NAC masters so wasn't familiar with the setup. Odd the FB page or the website isn't more detailed with this kind of information - or maybe it's there and I just can't see it :)

I got a text about the wave starts since I posted here so I now know my wave, just need to confirm where I show up to get my timing chip etc.

Think it said also to arrive an hour or more to register before your wave.

that be there an hour before your wave is going to be painful for 9am wave

• Advertisement

This is what it says on FB page.

Greatdublinswim entries will close at 2359 tonight, please enter asap, Goodies bag for all online entries
    Entries on the day will be excepted on the day for Swim Ireland member only
    Please find enclosed waves times (checkin 1 – 1 ½ hours before event)
    0900-Novice/fun wave - 750 meters
    1000-Intermediate wave - 1500 (swimmers with times between 35-50 mins)
    1100-Advanced wave - 1500 (25-35 mins)
    1200-Elite wave - **** please note this includes elite masters **** (times between 15-25 mins)

Got an email from Stephen Millar today and all is now explained. Sign-on is close to Jury's Custom House hotel and will be very obvious (quay-side). Swim start is just upriver from the Sean O'Casey bridge and the 1500 route crosses under the Samuel Beckett bridge where it turns around a buoy at the national convention centre and back upriver to the finish at the Jeanie Johnston famine ship.

All sorted! Now just got to figure out the currents and make a decision on wetsuit vs skins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Grizz

Anyone any idea of parking facilities ? Also, while swimming is there a lock up for your gear? Thanks

Grizz wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of parking facilities ? Also, while swimming is there a lock up for your gear? Thanks

If you take a left at Jury's there is an underground car park about 20 meters down road on left. If they have the same area as the NAC swim there is loads of space in there to get changed and leave bags as there is an automatic gate to get in and out. But I'm sure they will have a place sorted for security of bags

anyone heading over from Blanchardstown area that has a spare seat in the car?

Jaysis, between raw sewage along the Dublin beaches and now sightings of dangerous jelly fish in Dublin bay, we must be off our heads swimming tomorrow :)

Great swim today, enjoyed it a lot! Water was not as cold as I thought it would be.

biomed32 wrote: »
    Great swim today, enjoyed it a lot! Water was not as cold as I thought it would be.

Did you get your time yet?

mad m wrote: »
    Did you get your time yet?

nope, not yet, there is a website, I just need to google it, I forgot the name

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed it too, good buzz around the place.

Really enjoyed it too, good buzz around the place.

That's what's it's all about.

Well done to the ILDSA, a cracking yet simple event very well organised. Congrats to Conor Turner, wining yet another Dublin OW event - is there no stopping the young lad :) Pushed all the way by a plucky young English lad, great to see some real racing.

Beautiful day for it and the Liffey wasn't as bad as I expected! Now just waiting on times to be posted, but overall - big thumbs up to Ger & Stephen and the whole team.

I swam towards the Jeanie Jonson as instructed along with another guy and swam 50m past the finish line - must work on my sighting lol

Anyone know the website for the chip timings, I'm curious to see how slow I was haha!

Active? Something?

• Advertisement

Results are up on www sportsplits com

Results are up on www sportsplits com

Thanks a mill for that, happy enough but need to improve

Are there any races next weekend that you don't need to be a swim ireland member? I'd love to do it again soon.

You could join SI for the remainder of the year for a measly €13 by the way. That membership alone would have saved you €15 on the entry fee for the Great Dublin Swim :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    You could join SI for the remainder of the year for a measly €13 by the way. That membership alone would have saved you €15 on the entry fee for the Great Dublin Swim :)

That sounds like a plan !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Are there any races next weekend that you don't need to be a swim ireland member? I'd love to do it again soon.

Can't find info online but fairly sure the Nore swim is on in Kilkenny this weakend.

Anybody hear anything about when our Great Dublin Swim participant medals are going to be posted out to us? I can't remember when I signed up did I leave an address with the ILDSA? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

radharc wrote: »
    Can't find info online but fairly sure the Nore swim is on in Kilkenny this weakend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91297141

Oh the shame :D

Got my medal in the post today from the ILDSA as an age cat winner from the Great Dublin swim - nice looking yoke and a nice wee presentation box.

It's the little things folks :)

Advertisement