Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement engine 2008 Passat 1.9TDI

• 15-07-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Driving home last night something went in the engine, had the car towed to the garage but have been told that something blew in the engine & it can't be repaired.
    Been told my options are spend 3.5-4k to get a 2nd hand engine fitted or 7-8k to get a new engine.
    The garage was recommending talking to the sales department about trading in the car even without the engine to see what they would be give off a newer car.
    The car has 170k kms which I didn't think was much for a passat but there you go.

Anyone able to tell me what the best thing to do is? A 2nd hand engine will come with no warranty so leaves me open to problems. Only had the car for 1.5 years & paid 14,000 so not too happy at the moment. Are the prices I've been told accurate & what would the scrap value be for the car if I took it to a dismantlers myself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Engine code BXE? Thrown conrod presumably. Even with highish mileage it may be worth contacting VW for goodwill especially if you have a full service history with it. I've seen people having success in getting limited goodwill although lower mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

raxy wrote: »
    Driving home last night something went in the engine, had the car towed to the garage but have been told that something blew in the engine & it can't be repaired.
    Been told my options are spend 3.5-4k to get a 2nd hand engine fitted or 7-8k to get a new engine.
    The garage was recommending talking to the sales department about trading in the car even without the engine to see what they would be give off a newer car.
    The car has 170k kms which I didn't think was much for a passat but there you go.

Anyone able to tell me what the best thing to do is? A 2nd hand engine will come with no warranty so leaves me open to problems. Only had the car for 1.5 years & paid 14,000 so not too happy at the moment. Are the prices I've been told accurate & what would the scrap value be for the car if I took it to a dismantlers myself?
    170,000 km is just over 100,000 miles first id do as suggested and write to vw especially if main dealer serviced, that is timing belt change mileage roughly
    i certainly would not talk to sales about trading,at that mileage id say id rather write to local paper first and advise others about short engine life of VW engines especially if i purchased car there and if they are vw dealer, don't make it sound like a threat. why not try breakers for engine out of rear-ended slap cant be that expensive surely.if that fails why not write to Office of Consumer Affairs,less than 2 yrs after purchase surely must have some comeback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

sandydan wrote: »
    170,000 km is just over 100,000 miles first id do as suggested and write to vw especially if main dealer serviced, that is timing belt change mileage roughly
    i certainly would not talk to sales about trading,at that mileage id say id rather write to local paper first and advise others about short engine life of VW engines especially if i purchased car there and if they are vw dealer, don't make it sound like a threat. why not try breakers for engine out of rear-ended slap cant be that expensive surely.if that fails why not write to Office of Consumer Affairs,less than 2 yrs after purchase surely must have some comeback

All the above has threat written all over it,

Firstly join the club, as probably between six and ten other people in the country will have been landed in the same boat this week alone, in Volkswagen,seat, skoda, with the dreaded bxe engine failure.
    Secondly the makers of the engine are more than aware of this block, fairly much since first fitted, a quick google search will explain most of it, most recently skodas take on the issue,
    A secondhand engine will cost approx 1200 euros, supplied with pump and injectors, and are always in high demand, because of the range of cars that they fit.
    Try a parts request on some of the dismantling sites to get an ideas of cost, though the car is worth very little to the trade in its current state, expect it to realise around 1200/1500 euros, with insurance companys off loading these type of cars on a daily basis to breakers yards.
    Your best bet is to replace the engine, with parts and labour being approx 2000 plus vat, depending on location and type of workshop...

Guest0000 wrote: »

Firstly join the club, as probably between six and ten other people in the country will have been landed in the same boat this week alone, in Volkswagen,seat, skoda, with the dreaded bxe engine failure.
    Secondly the makers of the engine are more than aware of this block, fairly much since first fitted, a quick google search will explain most of it, most recently skodas take on the issue,
    A secondhand engine will cost approx 1200 euros, supplied with pump and injectors, and are always in high demand, because of the range of cars that they fit.
    Try a parts request on some of the dismantling sites to get an ideas of cost, though the car is worth very little to the trade in its current state, expect it to realise around 1200/1500 euros, with insurance companys off loading these type of cars on a daily basis to breakers yards.
    Your best bet is to replace the engine, with parts and labour being approx 2000 plus vat, depending on location and type of workshop...[/QUOTE
    threat to who (or whom)
    maybe its the way i wrote it, but what about Frankie Lee's suggestion re trying for goodwill gesture from VW,after 1.5 yrs after paying €14,000.i certainly would expect some thing in return especially if purchased from VW Dealer.as ive suggested the Office of Consumer Affairs should take a serious look at the Case, if they do id suggest VW would want to be seen in positive light .6 yrs old and written off,imo the insurance companies will not pay up for this i may be wrong,if they do expect a massive hike in comprehensive insurance premium for VW related range cars will ensue and VW will suffer as result . i have skoda and was considering buying another but after your article .... certainly id contact the RTE consumer program if no satisfaction got why suffer alone , some thing tells me i may have heard related story when Eddie Hobbs was involved and resolution was found, but it may not have involved a car .
    its all about being seen in positive light and its GOOD P.R.for dealer and VW alike.

Guest0000 wrote: »

Your best bet is to replace the engine, with parts and labour being approx 2000 plus vat, depending on location and type of workshop...
    if so many are having problems why just forget about and fix out of own pocket,if vw are aware of problem they should be fixing it, tbh i haven't heard of engine issues other than burning some oil till run in properly with vw certainly not Skoda, electrics and fixings maybe in vw but Skoda were recommended to me as one of 2 good manufacturer if seeking to purchase a relatively trouble free car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

The engine is the same in the vw seat and skoda range, any of these cars with the 1.9 tdi engine from 2006 thru 2009 run on the bxe block, probably the most troublesome block in the vag group. And most noted in the passat, because they are the owners with the heavy right foot,
    The engine has since beeen replaced with the bxf version, time will tell if this will be an improvement or not,
    As far a publicity campaign or otherwise, good luck with that, goodwill is indeed alive and well from the dealers, though based on full rrp on parts and labour in this case I'm only guessing at approx 6/8 k, who knows,

might be luckier in breakers , maybe.
    did a little research and oil levels are what VW seem to blame and in my opinion its unfair to blame heavy foot of owners, they cant all be wrong IMO
    you mentioned join the club, well. maybe that is what is required a club of vw car owners whose car engines have blown up with a known fault that is not being fixed.
    a number of issues have been sorted after people got together and fought for what is right in Ireland.
    in this case engines with rods out through their sides that need fixing free of charge, in my opinion VOSA are prepared to investigate written claims in England and i believe that this will be sorted to benefit of English VAG owners, its up to each owner to fight his case and together you will have some chance, taking it to EU level if required, through their offices in Dublin or local MEPs if necessary.

any luck with either VW or insurance company since. kinda reminds me of when i started driving in 70s around 80,000 miles was regarded as engine life, went from that to 200k miles. now we hear of VW and some Toyota needing replacement engines or burning oil at 100k km, some turnaround

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

Sorry for not posting sooner but wanted to know what was happening properly before saying anything.
    I have been offered €4000 for the car without the engine. spoke to another gagarge who said they could get €4500 but would have to inspect the car first.

Car is now fixed (I hope) with a replacement engine from a dismantlers. There were a few issues but it seems its all sorted out. The engine actually came from a Seat Leon but is the same model that would be in the newer Passat. Old engine was BXE, new is BXF code. Because it was from a Leon the mechaninc had to replace the sump as there is a sensor on the passat the the Leon. After the engine was replaced it worked but there was no power.
    We thought we'd have to have the engine re-programmed & spoke to a few different people about it. Each with a different opinion:
    1. The engine needs programming but will be fine once done
    2. The turbo is shot & needs replacing
    3. The new engine has different BPH to the old & will never work

Turns out the mechanic looked over the Turbo, ran the engine for a while & everything went back to noraml (can't remember exactly what the mechanic said he did)

Engine cost €1250 Fitting etc €1000.

Fingers crossed this one lasts a few years.

Now I have another question. Car tax on a Seat Leon 2010 1.9TDI is €270. Now that the same engine has been put in my car does that mean the tax on mine will change? Surely a newer engine with lower emissions will mean a change in tax? Or is there more behind the emissions then the engine?

thanks for posting reply its good to see you got sorted without forking out for new engine after paying €14,000. just typical attitude offer €4,000 for car after what you paid 18 months ago,and probably had replacement engine ready to make a profit at your expense :mad:.an adjective springs to mind but. re car tax when 08 id say emissions are what rules, might be able to suss something probably will have to be taken to NCT centre to verify but allsame.
    at a guess it will probably follow same criteria as in pre 08 where you notify tax office about engine change complete with engine no serial no Emissions rating etc, only maybe RSA will be involved now or customs. a while back i saw some useful threads posted by whom i cant remember but he knew his stuff if his attention could be drawn to matter. guess try council vehicle taxation office customs or nct HQ same as when arranging NCT their phone no is in Ph Book

• Advertisement

there is a pdf RF 111 for change of particulars of vehicle not ownership , just found it on website on citizens information at a guess its whats legally required anyway in event of change of engine etc have a look at it and good luck maybe some one other than i have knowledge of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1 victor1980

Sorry for not posting sooner but wanted to know what was happening properly before saying anything.
    I have been offered €4000 for the car without the engine. spoke to another gagarge who said they could get €4500 but would have to inspect the car first.

Car is now fixed (I hope) with a replacement engine from a dismantlers. There were a few issues but it seems its all sorted out. The engine actually came from a Seat Leon but is the same model that would be in the newer Passat. Old engine was BXE, new is BXF code. Because it was from a Leon the mechaninc had to replace the sump as there is a sensor on the passat the the Leon. After the engine was replaced it worked but there was no power.
    We thought we'd have to have the engine re-programmed & spoke to a few different people about it. Each with a different opinion:
    1. The engine needs programming but will be fine once done
    2. The turbo is shot & needs replacing
    3. The new engine has different BPH to the old & will never work

Turns out the mechanic looked over the Turbo, ran the engine for a while & everything went back to noraml (can't remember exactly what the mechanic said he did)

Engine cost €1250 Fitting etc €1000.

Fingers crossed this one lasts a few years.

Now I have another question. Car tax on a Seat Leon 2010 1.9TDI is €270. Now that the same engine has been put in my car does that mean the tax on mine will change? Surely a newer engine with lower emissions will mean a change in tax? Or is there more behind the emissions then the engine?

my 2007 vw passat engine 1.9 bxe went last week my mechanic took a look at it and reckons the conrod has came out through the block and i need a new engine, was wondering were you got your engine at such a low price for a fresh engine, i have been trying breakers all over Ireland and the prices i am getting quoted are between 2500-3000 euro for a 06, 07 and 08 engines with a high miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Emissions rate of tax can't be changed.
    It is based on the engine originally fitted to the car.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Emissions rate of tax can't be changed.
    It is based on the engine originally fitted to the car.

technically you are obliged to fill out Form Rf 111 and details are entered in that including CO2 emissions and reason for change of tax rate as well so you have nothing to lose by trying . some thing tells me i saw if engine with heavier CO2 emissions are fitted a higher rate will apply so why not reverse. another thing if car was purchased pre June 2008,( introduction time of CO2 rated taxing) petrol or dsl it would be taxed at rate applying at time this can be amended any tax disc renewal time. i know several who did so and switched to lower co2 tax rate with Dsl cars, and 1 who went into tax office to change his but girl at counter told him due to petrol car his tax would be higher so he left as it was at pre CO2 rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

RF 111 has no entry for Co2, all it has is the cc measurement, the Co2 tax figure is based on the vehicles VIN number as it came from the factory with whatever engine was installed first day.
    If this was possible there would be a flood of vehicles being recertified as low emissions where possible.
    I stand to be corrected but if you could do this the Govt would lose out on millions from Motortax and I can't see them allowing that to happen.

You are also obliged to get a main dealer to stamp and certify that the engine has been changed if you fill the RF111 form.
    I am quite sure that unless money changes hands or the work was done by them no main dealer will certify or stamp the form. So be very sure that you want to go down that route before starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

technically you are obliged to fill out Form Rf 111 and details are entered in that including CO2 emissions and reason for change of tax rate as well so you have nothing to lose by trying . some thing tells me i saw if engine with heavier CO2 emissions are fitted a higher rate will apply so why not reverse. another thing if car was purchased pre June 2008,( introduction time of CO2 rated taxing) petrol or dsl it would be taxed at rate applying at time this can be amended any tax disc renewal time. i know several who did so and switched to lower co2 tax rate with Dsl cars, and 1 who went into tax office to change his but girl at counter told him due to petrol car his tax would be higher so he left as it was at pre CO2 rate

So you're saying I'd be able to change a 2006 car to be based on co2 instead of engine size if I wanted to?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    So you're saying I'd be able to change a 2006 car to be based on co2 instead of engine size if I wanted to?

only new cars registered after January 2008 avail of CO2 tax bands rating. initially cars registered after June 2008 were rated according to CO2 bands but they allowed cars registered after January 2008 to be rated when taxing after 1/01/09.but petrol cars were more expensive under new co2 rating,so now if purchasing petrol car most avoid after June 08 in certain models. i know where an August 08 car owner tried trading car and failed,due to write down in value. note CJHaughey post, since 08 car is rated according to vehicle VIN number, the previous tax charges varied according to Engine CCs, but that was never updated in changeover to CO2 band tax ratings,

only new cars registered after January 2008 avail of CO2 tax bands rating. initially cars registered after June 2008 were rated according to CO2 bands but they allowed cars registered after January 2008 to be rated when taxing after 1/01/09.but petrol cars were more expensive under new co2 rating,so now if purchasing petrol car most avoid after June 08 in certain models. i know where an August 08 car owner tried trading car and failed,due to write down in value. note CJHaughey post, since 08 car is rated according to vehicle VIN number, the previous tax charges varied according to Engine CCs, but that was never updated in changeover to CO2 band tax ratings,

Damn, I would have gotten away cheaper if I could have changed my 06 to co2 :P

Damn, I would have gotten away cheaper if I could have changed my 06 to co2 :P
    maybe, heard an argument recently,re role of sensors,ecu's, tuning and engine performance,went some thing like this ,
    in 80s- 90s if you changed car engine same CCs chances are fuel consumption, performance will alter , however if modern engine is replaced by another the existing ecu's will ensure the fuel consumption,performance remains virtually the same,CO2 emissions will remain the same etc . that in theory may mean that in case of new engine fitted from Leon to Passat the chances are, the CO2 emissions are same as original.
    its also possible the 06 passat co2 emissions are a lot higher if so, tax payable is roughly the same as when rated by CC ,
    it was in that few years engine makers started working on reducing CO2 emissions, note difference in CO2 band rating in some car models just 1 year newer , yet both are supposed to be same.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    RF 111 has no entry for Co2, all it has is the cc measurement, the Co2 tax figure is based on the vehicles VIN number as it came from the factory with whatever engine was installed first day.
    If this was possible there would be a flood of vehicles being recertified as low emissions where possible.
    I stand to be corrected but if you could do this the Govt would lose out on millions from Motortax and I can't see them allowing that to happen.

You are also obliged to get a main dealer to stamp and certify that the engine has been changed if you fill the RF111 form.
    I am quite sure that unless money changes hands or the work was done by them no main dealer will certify or stamp the form. So be very sure that you want to go down that route before starting.
    you explained it very well i must say, nothing like person who know how to explain facts correctly .:)
    in pre 08, if smaller or bigger engine CCs fitted to vehicle it alters tax payable according to tax office, but system has not been updated since 08 to include engines being fitted to cars with different CO2 band rates to engine originally fitted, "Yet"
    friend of mine working in Dept reckoned a few years ago consideration was being given to raising the CO2 band rates to match the original CC rates but pressure from somewhere advised against in case they derail the new motor sales completely in republic, but i guess they are working towards that target. wonder how long will it take EU to remove the VRT on cars, its ridiculous the cost difference between what Irish pay for new vehicles as opposed to say what UK motorists pay.vrt was brought in to replace the original Excise duty on cars which was banned by EU or EEC trading laws, maybe that was when EEC cared about all paying equal taxes in all EEC countries , maybe EU priorities are different

• Advertisement

maybe, heard an argument recently,re role of sensors,ecu's, tuning and engine performance,went some thing like this ,
    in 80s- 90s if you changed car engine same CCs chances are fuel consumption, performance will alter , however if modern engine is replaced by another the existing ecu's will ensure the fuel consumption,performance remains virtually the same,CO2 emissions will remain the same etc . that in theory may mean that in case of new engine fitted from Leon to Passat the chances are, the CO2 emissions are same as original.
    its also possible the 06 passat co2 emissions are a lot higher if so, tax payable is roughly the same as when rated by CC ,
    it was in that few years engine makers started working on reducing CO2 emissions, note difference in CO2 band rating in some car models just 1 year newer , yet both are supposed to be same.

I understand what you're saying but mines a 1.4 diesel corolla which think is actually low enough emissions iirc

I understand what you're saying but mines a 1.4 diesel corolla which think is actually low enough emissions iirc
    around €370 or so but what year corrolla would that band apply to . first lot of car weren't that almigthy low. but saw a dsl corrolla on done deal with road tax of €570 so some one didn't change rate in 09.
    my mistake its 2.2 lt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

you explained it very well i must say, nothing like person who know how to explain facts correctly .:)
    in pre 08, if smaller or bigger engine CCs fitted to vehicle it alters tax payable according to tax office, but system has not been updated since 08 to include engines being fitted to cars with different CO2 band rates to engine originally fitted, "Yet"
    friend of mine working in Dept reckoned a few years ago consideration was being given to raising the CO2 band rates to match the original CC rates but pressure from somewhere advised against in case they derail the new motor sales completely in republic, but i guess they are working towards that target. wonder how long will it take EU to remove the VRT on cars, its ridiculous the cost difference between what Irish pay for new vehicles as opposed to say what UK motorists pay.vrt was brought in to replace the original Excise duty on cars which was banned by EU or EEC trading laws, maybe that was when EEC cared about all paying equal taxes in all EEC countries , maybe EU priorities are different

Its not just the engine.
    Its the engine,weight,aerodynamics and more factors that give a car its co2 rating.

victor1980 wrote: »
    my 2007 vw passat engine 1.9 bxe went last week my mechanic took a look at it and reckons the conrod has came out through the block and i need a new engine, was wondering were you got your engine at such a low price for a fresh engine, i have been trying breakers all over Ireland and the prices i am getting quoted are between 2500-3000 euro for a 06, 07 and 08 engines with a high miles

can anyone help Victor 1980 with this VW replacement engine search before CO2 rating pulls us off thread completely:)

around €370 or so but what year corrolla would that band apply to . first lot of car weren't that almigthy low. but saw a dsl corrolla on done deal with road tax of €570 so some one didn't change rate in 09.
    my mistake its 2.2 lt

385 non co2 based. Based on the co2 reading of the previous nct it wuld be much cheaper

385 non co2 based. Based on the co2 reading of the previous nct it wuld be much cheaper

my advice to you is hold onto it until changing to at least 12 model or newer, based on what i hear locally at any rate, between oil burning , turbos ets and my own experience changing from 05 to 08 Avensis Dsl i wish i kept 05 and put in seats( ratchet problem) and disconnected Air Con by changing belt available from Toyota for €30 or so, ive replaced turbo for 2nd time. its got 175,000 km done and regularly serviced

my advice to you is hold onto it until changing to at least 12 model or newer, based on what i hear locally at any rate, between oil burning , turbos ets and my own experience changing from 05 to 08 Avensis Dsl i wish i kept 05 and put in seats( ratchet problem) and disconnected Air Con by changing belt available from Toyota for €30 or so, ive replaced turbo for 2nd time. its got 175,000 km done and regularly serviced

Oh I will be sure Im only a student. Only had gearbox and clutch done at 100k km and im only at 120k km now. What I ment was could I change the way its taxed to be based on co2 instead of engine size?

Oh I will be sure Im only a student. Only had gearbox and clutch done at 100k km and im only at 120k km now. What I ment was could I change the way its taxed to be based on co2 instead of engine size?

im afraid not ,but you may have better car than one that can be:)

Advertisement