Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Labs Yeast

Options
  • 15-07-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

This morning I got a delivery of WLP545 liquid yeast. The best before date was March 25th 2014.....so 4 months out of date....Has anyone normally got yeast this old?

White labs stated "The shelf life for White Labs Yeast is four months. Yeast used after this point is usually fine, but lag times will be longer." I used Mr Malty calculator and it stated with yeast this old we'd need 5.5 litres of starter with 4 vials? Surely yeast this old won't work well?

Anyone experience this before? Did it turn ok or should I just ask for a replacement vial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

I'd go for the replacement vial. Using out of date yeast is a game of russian roulette. You might have a perfectly good fermentation or it might end up never starting, stuck or as you say a long lag. It's no worth the potential headache of having to restart a stuck batch

Advertisement