Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing. pets to England

• 15-07-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi.have a friend relocating from ireland to England and obviously wanting to take her dog with her.she thinks vaccination papers,rabbies jab and even neutering are all neccesary.I've driven back a few times and always had the dogs in the car.no paperwork was required for the ferry.maybe laws have changed since?or any idea what papers airlines would want?thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Airlines or ferries?

It is now a requirement to have a pet passport to travel to the uk from Ireland.

But the dog does not have to be neutered, not sure where they got that info from but it's wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Pet passport and rabies vaccination are needed, rabies needs to be given at least 3 weeks before travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Rabies jab even between Ireland and u.k?didn't think there was rabies in either country,so sounds extreme.what about those passing through N.I and crossing from there?what are the requirements for a pet passport?

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Rabies jab even between Ireland and u.k?didn't think there was rabies in either country,so sounds extreme.what about those passing through N.I and crossing from there?what are the requirements for a pet passport?

No, no rabies in either jurisdiction, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If going from NI to GB, no passport or rabies vaccination is needed, which is what makes it even more ridiculous.

For a pet passport, you just get one from the vet, they will fill it in, the pet must be microchipped, a photo is optional.

They do spot checks on the ferries, so people are still taking the chance that they won't be stopped. If you are stopped, the animal can be impounded and put into quarantine, which the owner has to pay for, and they can also be prosecuted. I think if flying, things are checked more thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

muddypaws wrote: »
    No, no rabies in either jurisdiction, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If going from NI to GB, no passport or rabies vaccination is needed, which is what makes it even more ridiculous.

For a pet passport, you just get one from the vet, they will fill it in, the pet must be microchipped, a photo is optional.

They do spot checks on the ferries, so people are still taking the chance that they won't be stopped. If you are stopped, the animal can be impounded and put into quarantine, which the owner has to pay for, and they can also be prosecuted. I think if flying, things are checked more thoroughly.

where are you getting your facts ?? I have gone to UK a good few times with my pet, ? And what are they spot checking for ????

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    where are you getting your facts ?? I have gone to UK a good few times with my pet, ? And what are they spot checking for ????

I'm getting my facts from Dept of Ag here and DEFRA in the UK. If you search this very forum you will see many discussions on it, with lots of links. You will also now see the info on both Irish Ferries and Stena Line websites.

They are spot checking for pet passports, with the microchip details and proof of rabies vaccination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Things may have changed but I travlled in Feb 2013(i think, definitely 2013 anyway) went via ferry to Hollyhead, dog was booked in and we drove on. dog was left in my jeep for the whole journey, no check either getting on or going off. No passport needed then.. As I said though, things may have changed.

Things may have changed but I travlled in Feb 2013(i think, definitely 2013 anyway) went via ferry to Hollyhead, dog was booked in and we drove on. dog was left in my jeep for the whole journey, no check either getting on or going off. No passport needed then.. As I said though, things may have changed.

The new rules were in force then, as I say, they are spot checking, if you don't get stopped, you're grand, if you do however, then you could have your pet seized. A lot of people are taking the chance, I chose not to. My local vets have clients who have been stopped, both going to, and coming back from the UK.

Huge debates about it, as it has changed things dramatically for rescues that send dogs to the UK, as they now have to find somewhere for the dogs to stay for an extra 3 weeks, due to the rabies vacc having to be given at least 21 days before travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

you need a pet passport to go to the uk. microchip rabies vaccination etc all in on the passport.Certain breeds are banned or controlled in the uk(pitbull and those who fall under BSl type)
    https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

Some people have made it to the uk without border control stopping them but if you are stopped then refusal to enter or vaccination and quarantine for the animal (with owner paying full costs) are possible consequences.

To travel to europe or back from europe into Ireland or the UK a tapeworm treatment must be administered and signed off by a vet within a set timeframe(120 hours)

Rabies vaccs must be done 3 weeks/21 days before travel by a vet and if the dog is under one year then 2 boosters that year are required to maintain immunity.

Advertisement