Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for GP for pregnancy

Options
  • 15-07-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

According to a little stick, my missus is pregnant, and quite so. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good GP here in Waterford for pregnant patients? My OH would prefer a woman GP, but of course the key point is good care, not the gender of the doctor.

Also, this is a long shot I know, but is there any GP who works regularly on Saturdays? I work up in Dublin during the week, which will make it difficult for me to join for GP visits.

Thanks a million :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

First you won't get any GP open on a Saturday, only Caredoc but that's not suitable for pregnancy.
    The only female GP I know that isn't too hard to get an appointment with is Deborah Gray in the new place by Farran Park, I know she's good with woman's things. I'm sure there's more than that though.
    If it's for work reasons she wants appointments on a Saturday, she'll be entitled to time off for pregnancy related appointments so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

ryanf1 wrote: »
    First you won't get any GP open on a Saturday, only Caredoc but that's not suitable for pregnancy.
    The only female GP I know that isn't too hard to get an appointment with is Deborah Gray in the new place by Farran Park, I know she's good with woman's things. I'm sure there's more than that though.
    If it's for work reasons she wants appointments on a Saturday, she'll be entitled to time off for pregnancy related appointments so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for letting know about Dr. Gray. Hopefully maybe some others will reply, especially those who have been pregnant recently or have a friend/partner/etc. who has.

I figured I wouldn't find any doctor working on Saturday, they need to have a weekend too. It's not a problem for the missus as she doesn't work, it was more for me because I do but I would like to accompany her. I guess she'll have to go solo for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

My girlfriends pregnant and honestly mate the only thing a doctor does is checks babies heart beat and makes sure there's nothing unusual or alarming, the hospital visits are the essential ones!

Congratulations!

Thank you very much!

She'd only be about 6 weeks along so far, so we're keeping cool and not making any announcements (except to the virtual world, I get the irony there) until we get out of the first trimester.

• Advertisement

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    My girlfriends pregnant and honestly mate the only thing a doctor does is checks babies heart beat and makes sure there's nothing unusual or alarming, the hospital visits are the essential ones!

Thanks for the reply. I guessed as much, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get recommendations anyway.

How far along is your girlfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

I'm 16 weeks since Monday. I've been seeing Dr Marina in the Waterford Health Park, she is a lovely doctor and does all necessary checks

er1983 wrote: »
    I'm 16 weeks since Monday. I've been seeing Dr Marina in the Waterford Health Park, she is a lovely doctor and does all necessary checks

I was thinking about the Waterford Health Park, so thank you so much for chiming in.

I hope the pregnancy has been smooth sailing for you and continues to be so. And hey, if 1983 is your year of birth (just a guess from your account name), then you're the same age as us :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Thanks for the reply. I guessed as much, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get recommendations anyway.

How far along is your girlfriend?

37 weeks and 6 days :) we've been going since 12 weeks to our Dr., just because she was the closest to us!

I was thinking about the Waterford Health Park, so thank you so much for chiming in.

I hope the pregnancy has been smooth sailing for you and continues to be so. And hey, if 1983 is your year of birth (just a guess from your account name), then you're the same age as us :-p

No problem at all, glad to be of help :-)
    Pregnancy not too bad when it could be worse lol. Yeah that's my year of birth too. There's a pregnancy section on here too if your partner or yourself are interested in looking up, I find it great

• Advertisement

That Doctor is fairly new in WHP but I left there a few years ago because I found it very difficult to get an appointment with anyone, let alone someone that knew you. But I suppose for maternity you can plan ahead and book your appointment in advance so it shouldn't be too much of an issue

That Doctor is fairly new in WHP but I left there a few years ago because I found it very difficult to get an appointment with anyone, let alone someone that knew you. But I suppose for maternity you can plan ahead and book your appointment in advance so it shouldn't be too much of an issue

I'm not sure how long she has been there but my friend has being seeing her as a doc for a good while and got the recommendation from her which I am so happy about as I find her very good. A lot of doctor practices are hard to get appointments straight away but if you book in advance for maternity visits there's no problem at all. Waterford Health Park is a very busy practice which can only mean good things

Waterford Health Park is a very busy practice which can only mean good things

They Doctors there are very good, some my family have been with them for quite a few years. But the downside of it being so busy it that its just so hard to get an appointment. With pregnancy or a routine medical review that doesn't matter because you can book ahead. But if I was sick today and I rang now at 10am, I wouldn't get an appointment until Monday at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

The Manor Medical centre is very good. That's our family doctor. If its important they usually make an effort to squeeze you in.

http://manormedicalcentre.ie/

They Doctors there are very good, some my family have been with them for quite a few years. But the downside of it being so busy it that its just so hard to get an appointment. With pregnancy or a routine medical review that doesn't matter because you can book ahead. But if I was sick today and I rang now at 10am, I wouldn't get an appointment until Monday at the earliest.

They have a doctor there that can be seen if needed without appointment but you'd be waiting in line, I remember from when I first rang there I was told that by the receptionist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had Dr Mooney for my first and Dr Ryan for my second, I couldn't fault the care I got. Both are in the medical center in Barron ST.

http://www.waterfordmedicalcentre.com/about/

I think the Dr you have so important because if you are not with the Dominos scheme in WRH, you will see a different midwife / register every month where as your doctor knows you best and is your advocate if you need the hospital to do something for you.

My doc spotted errors in my blood samples from the hospital / deciphered the codes the midwives were using and spotted small issues with the babies that she referred them to the hospital for.

Only issue with the medical center is it is a huge pain in the but to get into with a buggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

They have a doctor there that can be seen if needed without appointment but you'd be waiting in line, I remember from when I first rang there I was told that by the receptionist

Does Waterford Health Park still have a walk-in doctor? Family member was looking for an appointment there last week and was told there's no-walk in doctor there.

wendydoll wrote: »
    Does Waterford Health Park still have a walk-in doctor? Family member was looking for an appointment there last week and was told there's no-walk in doctor there.

No they don't anymore as far as I know but I think it only ended quite recently .

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

as far as i know Deborah White from Keogh Practice was full time midwife in WRH in the past. In hospital I highly recommend dr Mark Dempsey (but unfortunatelly it's not your choice).

My wife changed doctors few times during the pregnancy (she has bit more medical knowledge about pregnancy than usual GP patient). Iv asked her for exact names of trusted doctors and she said: "They're all lazy fekin ****! Treating patient like a stupid monkey who doesn't understand a word! (...long pause...) Except Deborah and Mark of course.

Advertisement