Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting Picture thread - Allow chat again - Poll

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:19pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭

About two years ago the mods were getting complaints from members about the number of chat posts in the hunting pictures thread. We started a poll and asked for yer opinion on the matter as the forum is for all of ye and for us to make a decision seemed unfair.

It quickly turned into a debacle of a train wreck. Less than a page in and lads began to argue with the mods, and each other. After numerous attempts we could not get a straight answer so we just acted on what info we had.

It's been a while and the picture thread has suffered to a degree, plus it created more work for the mods as we had to check it regularly to see if any posts had comments and then to move them into their own thread which still took from the picture thread.

So here it is. We'll try it once more as we've gotten some comments from lads that said they enjoyed it more when they could chat on thread. This thread will remain open from now till Sunday. At which point i'll either leave it as is or allow chat posts to be posted.

All you need to do is select from the two options:
    • Leave it as is with no chat.
    • Allow chat posts again.

You may post comments on this thread, but remember that if it turns into a train wreck like before i'll disable comments and just have the poll.

Please remember. This is your forum, and it's your choice. The Mods have nothing to do with it other than to get your opinion on how you want your forum to be ran. So it's in yer hands.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Do you want chat to be allowed in the hunting picture thread 7 votes

Leave it as is with no chat.
    0% 0 votes
    Allow chat posts again.
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Allow chat again. Chat = Good...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I know there was a poll and no chat won so its not the fault of the mods.

And that seriously killed the thread.

People used argue about making it a sticky but the mods had a fair point saying it rarely left the front page anyway.. but thats all changed now and it barely gets used once a month.

Some of the stories that went with the pics were enjoyable too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That's the thing. I don't think any Mod has ever posted in the thread. So it was yer thread on yer forum. That's why we left the decision to you guys.

However i still believe to this day that it was a "spoiled" result, but we had to abide by the result regardless. This poll will be for 5 days only. that's enough time to get a general consensus, and not so long that it gets drawn out for no reason.

I enjoyed the chat myself as a picture alone can be "empty". So we'll see what happens but i have a fair idea of what way things will go.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭chris20

What about a separate thread for just chat? That way the photos do t get buried in 2 pages of chit chat

That's what we have at the moment. If there are chat posts with a picture it's moved into it's own thread with a copy of the picture left in the main thread.

There are only two options. Chat or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I say leave as is.
    The problem I found was people were chatting about photos posted ages back and you didn't know which photo they were talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

clivej wrote: »
    I say leave as is.
    The problem I found was people were chatting about photos posted ages back and you didn't know which photo they were talking about

That is true, but leave as is now is just a dead thread rarely used.. the old way it was the biggest busiest thread on the shooting forum.

Not sure will it ever be back to the way it was since lots of posters who used it have closed their accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Leave as is

garv123 wrote: »
    Not sure will it ever be back to the way it was since lots of posters who used it have closed their accounts.
    The majority are most likely back with a new account. Some lads even come out and admit/announce their new username.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass wrote: »
    The majority are most likely back with a new account. Some lads even come out and admit/announce their new username.

Is that allowed now, 'cos I've wanted to start over many times. Too many ppl know who I am here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Cass wrote: »
    About two years ago the mods were getting complaints from members about the number of chat posts in the hunting pictures thread...

Would you please ask the coders at boards.ie if we could have both, but different from the current setup?

I would prefer to see only images in the numbered posts and replies as links within that post. Thus, not cluttering up the thread.

The coding is trivial. However, I do understand that logistics of adding code on such a site is not.

clivej wrote:
    Is that allowed now, 'cos I've wanted to start over many times. Too many ppl know who I am here
    If you place the cursor over your username in the top right corner you'll get a drop down menu. Click on "Control Panel".

In the new screen on the left are a list of options. At the very end is "Close Account". Click on it and follow the instructions.

One thing before doing it. When you start over you are subject to the the 50 post rule regarding links, pictures, etc. Any current for sale threads should be finalised or closed (just inform a mod and they'll do it for you), and i think there is a thing regarding the e-mail account. not sure if you can use the same one again or not, but as i've never closed my account i don't know.

Some lads do it to change their name, others that want a fresh start, and some like yourself are too well known so need it for various personal reasons. The reason we say it should only be used as a "last ditch" effort is because of the reasons i mentioned above about e-mail, links, etc.

Other than that fire away.

FISMA wrote: »
    However, I do understand that logistics of adding code on such a site is not.

Again, only a few minutes of coding. However, I can only imagine the logistic nightmare.
    We have asked in the past and the issue, as it was explained to us, is cost. Manpower, server power, etc. We were considering setting up another subforum, but it was "surplus" to begin with and the benefit did not match the cost. The shooting section is one off over a thousand forums on the site so while it might seem small any change to the overall site is big.

I can ask though, and see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I'll vote to change it but could we give it a time frame say 6 months and if decends into shi.. And arguments put it back the way it was.

Sh*t and arguments would get removed under the uncivil rule. As for the time frame. We'll see what happens. Took a half a day to clean up the last time.

Forgot to update this.

With 81% of the vote chat and discussion in the picture thread is once again permitted.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

I think it should be put back the way it was, it's no fun if you can't ask or answer questions about what you've posted.

It is. The poll is finished and 81% want the chat back, so it's back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

In the words of Tommy Cooper...."Just like tha"

Correct and right sir.

• Advertisement
Advertisement