Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRoblem with External portable drive - keeps dsconnecting

Options
  • 15-07-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought an external USB3.0 HDD.

When I attach it via USB it connects fine, and I can use it.

However after some time, usually within about 10-15mins, it disconnects itself, with me getting a warning speech bubble from the desktop taskbar telling me it is no longer recognised.

I have tried it on various different PCs but same thing happens on all of them. Have tried it on USB3.0 and USB2 ports as well.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Could be a faulty USB/sata interface. Is it still under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well I bought it off eBay a few months back and haven't really used it.

I did register it on the manufacturers website tonight, so if I wait a few weeks then contact them they might cover it?

I don't have a receipt, thats the only thing. Wonder will they stand over an eBay purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well I bought it off eBay a few months back and haven't really used it.

I did register it on the manufacturers website tonight, so if I wait a few weeks then contact them they might cover it?

I don't have a receipt, thats the only thing. Wonder will they stand over an eBay purchase?

Go through your ebay purchase history and find the item number for the sale. Its too late to get ebay themselves to do anything, but contact the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

What Operating System are you on?

Are you getting the problem, even while you are reading from/writing to it? If its only happening while its inactive, check your USB Drive manual and make sure it has not been set to go to sleep after 10-15 minutes of inactivity.

If it is something that is faulty, you could try to use a different cable firstly. However, if you need to invoke manufacturer warranty, you may have a problem. Generally, manufacturers require a 'proof of purchase' from an approved/ authorised seller to process a warranty claim, which is also usually only valid for the first (or 'original') purchaser. Therefore if the item is bought as used, most manufacturers don't process warranty claims for the 2nd user.

There are exceptions, such as Acer will provide a manufacturer warranty for 18 months from the date of manufacture of a laptop to a second user, while the original purchaser might have had a 1- or 2- year warranty valid from the date of purchase.

If the eBay seller is a trader, your invoice from him/her may be accepted. Otherwise, if you bought it as a used item, get on to the person you bought it from and try to get the original receipt.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Went on the manufacturers website, it was under warranty so have posted it back to them today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Great result. Hope you get it sorted. Please feed back with any helpful results do that others might benefit.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Great result. Hope you get it sorted. Please feed back with any helpful results do that others might benefit.

Got an email the other day from manufacturer, new one in the post, will be with me on 29th.

Advertisement