Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 month Yorkie no bark

• 15-07-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Just wondering if someone can help, I got a Yorkie puppy in August last year and to date he can't bark, he's try's and only whispers come out, he doesn't growl, cry or even yelp if I accidentally step on a paw, I said it to my vet and he recons he just doesn't doesn't want to bark, but I know it's more than that, he makes no noise at all, he perfectly fine he plays, is hyper like any other 11 month old dog. I have searched and searched the net for answers and I can't find a thing. Could anyone shed light?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

are you happy that he can hear properly does he react well to sound/noises

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maggie28

That was the first thing I considered and his hearing is perfect, before there is a knock on the door he's there barking (well trying to) and I did a hearing test with different objects and sounds and all perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've had a cat that couldn't meow, it never bothered her, her mouth moved but no sound came out, she lived 17 happy years and learned to rattle the letterbox to get let in.
    The vet never looked into it, but we mentioned it once and he said it could be damaged vocal cords from birth, or misformed something (sorry this was a very long time ago) and happened occasionally.

If you're worried ask again, explain the running to the door to bark at visitors and what happens. Make a video maybe to show him trying to bark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I had a cat that lived 18 years and only meowed maybe 5 times in her whole life. My neighbour's cat doesn't meow either, she just kind of squeaks? Some animals are just quieter than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

For the people who's cats don't meow, I think that is because my cat stole their quotas of meows along with her own. She never shuts up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

For the people who's cats don't meow, I think that is because my cat stole their quotas of meows along with her own. She never shuts up!

We refer to Ruby as shouty cat!
    I know how you feel, we have one only meows to go out, one regular amount of meows and then Ruby..
    On a scale of 1 to 10 meowiness...
    If Toby was a 1, Jake a 4, Ruby would be a 57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

mymo wrote: »
    We refer to Ruby as shouty cat!
    I know how you feel, we have one only meows to go out, one regular amount of meows and then Ruby..
    On a scale of 1 to 10 meowiness...
    If Toby was a 1, Jake a 4, Ruby would be a 57

LOL....

All I can think of now is the song:

Ruby ruby ruby ruby...
    Meeeoooowwwwwwwwww

Advertisement