Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for advice and Guidance in IT (Networking/Security)

Options
  • 15-07-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone

I thought i join up on boards as im in need for some advice.

Im trying to find the most accurate career path that suits my skills and Interests.

A bit of my IT background (ill make it as short as i can)
    i've always being heavily interest and inspired in Computers from an early age, before the big boom where everyone and their grandmother knew how to turn a computer on and connect to the Internet, im sure most of you remember them days

in any as i said i'd always had an interest in IT.

So at the age of about 17 (I'm 24 now) i started doing Creative Digital Media
    from Music Production, to Film production, ect
    in anyway, by the age of 22 i did a City Guild Course "IT Security"

Decent results just shy of a Distinction average
    I also achieved a Microsoft Certification in IT Sec

then i did a 3 week job in b2b Telemarketing, yep you can probably guess how that ended.
    My IT intelligence is maybe/hopefully above average but probably not on some your levels yet
    but now im trying to find the right path.

my 2 main points im interested in is Network/IT Sec

the only options i can think of that semi relate is:

Computer Science - don't know if i would have the head for going full on in Programming, i know i'm of course going to come across with some elements of programing.

PC Maintenance - I've never being the best with my hands, i do everything awkwardly, but these courses from what i know usually have Modules in both what im looking for.

IT plus - as much as i said this one of main focus's 'm not sure i want to make my future of that alone (told you i was awkward) but im thinking of doing ECollege's online version of this as a side thing, just to check that box.

So any Advice or Guidance would be Nice
    Is there even such thing as an IT Guidance Councilor?
    i don't want to spend anymore time on my arse doing nothing
    So thanks in advance
    if I lacked any crucial details let me know
    Thanks in Advance Folks,
    i just want to make sure that the decision i make is the is the right one.

Since i have no Car/Money anything in Dublin be perfect.

Note: my only mental block is, ive always being a Mac head, so i always worry that im too use to Unix, maybe i should get Windows for bootcamp lol

Nice One.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would suggest that if you want to get into networking and also want a course in Windows, check out the CompTIA A+. Its the generally recognised foundation course, once you've done that you could then branch out into either Windows Server courses or Cisco CCNA, depending on what you want to do. The A+ is a good course though, covers the basics of PC maintenance and the Microsoft operating systems (XP up to 8).

Advertisement