Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on offering accommodation to student

Options
  • 15-07-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm hoping someone can advise on what I would need to do to offer accommodation to a student. I'm considering renting out my box room from Sunday to Friday and maybe offering a meal each night. I currently live about a 2 min walk to the kilmacud luas or a cycle to ucd would take no more then 15 mins, on cycle paths. I also work full time so would offering a frozen home cooked meal 1 night a week be ok? The box room is quite small, room for a single bed and a small desk. Are the any conditions I would need to satisfy to rent to a student?
    Also if bills were included in the overall price how much would I look to charge? I'm new to renting so any advise would be appreciated Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Hi I lived in digs for three of my four years in UCD, I paid 110 p.w. when living in clonskeagh (2012), and 100 p.w. when living in dundrum (2013,2014), so I'd imagine 100 p.w. would be competitive (without meals), not that you would have a problem getting tenants from what I hear there is a serious shortage of rooms. For the first year in clonskeagh the landlady would provide breakfast which was just cereal, so I would cook my meals myself. Then in Dundrum I provided for myself, cooked my own meals bought my own food. The bills were included in both the instances mentioned. I don't know how you feel about letting the tenant cook for themselves, I recall going to a viewing once and the landlady specifically said that she was the only person allowed use the kitchen, needless to say I didn't want to stay there. It also depends on the student, they mightn't be able to cook for themselves. As regards what to offer, as long as there is a bed, a quiet environment (no small kids), good heating, wifi it should be fine.

Advertisement