Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin playgrounds

Options
  • 16-07-2014 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi everyone,

My 12 month old has been walking for a month or two now and I have recently been taking him to playgrounds as a fun and free way to spend a couple of hours.

Because he's still young for most things in playgrounds I've been trying out different ones to see which one is best for toddlers. I'd love any suggestions for nice playgrounds around Dublin.

So far we've been to Belgrave park( which is nice but always packed) , Palmerston park, Harold's cross , Stephen's Green park and most recently Marley Park. I love Stephens Green Park as he can manage a lot of the toddler section and also Marley Parks sand pit went down a treat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Not sure if you'd be willing to travel north side but the playgrounds in st Anne's park in Raheny and in Malahide Castle are really good with big toddler friendly sections

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Rathfarnham castle is great. Also, did you try the smaller playground in Marlay? There's 2 - the smaller one is up beyond the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The playground at the visitors centre in the Phoenix park is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Drdoc wrote: »
    Not sure if you'd be willing to travel north side but the playgrounds in st Anne's park in Raheny and in Malahide Castle are really good with big toddler friendly sections
    The playground at the visitors centre in the Phoenix park is my favourite.

Both are excellent playgrounds.

We must take a trip out to Malahide Castle one of these weekends. I've heard great things about the park and the playground

• Advertisement

The playground outside the Newbridge House and Farm - in Donabate - is a must try too - as is the farm itself and their BBQ facilities. All a very quick drive from the airport so not so far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 share bear

Phoenix park was next on my list and hadn't even thought about Rathfarnham Castle. Great suggestions!

Will save Malahide and Donabate for day trips as its a little far but love both areas so will give them a go.

Stephens Green park was a nightmare today. Maybe its me just been a total scrooge, but I hate it when parents let their 11/12 year old muck about on toddler frames when there's small ones playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

cabinteely park is really nice for young ones and older children is well!

blackrock park is also good

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Corkagh park, clondalkin. Petting farm, two playgrounds, fairy forest - just lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

We take our 20 month to the Phoenix Park, right beside the Visitor Centre.. There is so much space on the grass for toddlers to run around and explore. There is a playground there too but I just mostly let my son run around kicking football or picking flowers as he is so happy with the freedom, there is also a kiosk there open until 4pm that does a lovely take away latte for 2euro so that mammy can have a treat while the dads run after toddler :D

Herbert Park in Ballbridge is another favourite place of ours, for the same reason as Phoenix park, they even have a coffee kiosk near the playground there too and the playground is very toddler friendly and not really that packed

Newbridge house and farm in Hearse Road, Donabate, Co. Dublin ! It's free into the grounds and they a brilliant playground! There is also lots of space on grass for toddlers to have a run around too. They have toilets and changing units in the playground too which is handy and picnic benches.

Don't forget the library either! They have so many cool books for toddlers and toys, my son loves it :)

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A new revamped playground has just opened in Merrion Square that my nieces had a great day in last weekend. Also plus one on Malahide Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Herbert Park is close to the other ones you mentioned and is quite good.

We went to st Catherine's park in Lucan yesterday and the playground is fantastic. There's a sandpit with an old fashioned water pump so the kids can really get messy. The toddler area is good and kept my fella happy and there's an area for bigger kids too. It seems really new but it's all wood and bark with a lovely landscaped path for the kids to follow. I think this one may even beat the Phoenix park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think it is pretty new, I knew it was being built but the last time I was there construction hasn't even started. Whereabouts is it, near the park rangers office and toilets ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think it is pretty new, I knew it was being built but the last time I was there construction hasn't even started. Whereabouts is it, near the park rangers office and toilets ?
    Yes it's beside them

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hiber

Hi,

I compiled a map of all family-friendly places in Dublin (I mean playgrounds, playcentres, museums, so restaurants are not included), check it out if you are interested:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1C8CeRU61fGDo4mIPjoHmYpXHAYo

On the left hand side you can tick which places you want to see, playgrounds, playcentres or both.

I hope you find it useful! :)

Advertisement