Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they reduce my hours without notice?

Options
  • 16-07-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a shop and showed up hungover a few times (oops!) They've since reduced my hours but can they do this without notice? I don't have a contract but have been there for a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

What's in your contract? Are you contracted for a set number of hours a week or does it just have a minimum number of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

as I said - I don't have a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 5 needachat

You should contact citizens info as you could have ground for unfair dismissal. Did Any one ever say anything to you about turn up hung over??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You need to be there 2 years to be able to claim unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to be there 2 years to be able to claim unfair dismissal.

One year, i think.

Two years for redundancy.

OP, did you always work the same number of hours beforehand, or did it vary between weeks / seasons? Even though you don't have a written version of your contract, there's one created by your effective terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

OP I'd seriously consider how much you want to rock the boat. If you're turning up hung over they would very likely have grounds for dismissal. If you want everything done properly, expect everything to be done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Where did people see any grounds for Unfair Dismissal ?? OP was never dismissed so how could he have been unfairly dismissed..

Constructive dismissal is very different and AFAIK in retail, particularly with no contracted hours this will not fall under it, and since OP is still employed then its not a runner..

Unfair Dismissal relates to when you were dismissed from your job and feel it was UNFAIR
    Constructive Dismissal applies when you left your job because you felt you had no other choice through the actions of your employer or other staff.
    In both cases you will have to be no longer working for the employer to consider them.

Are there other employees with variable hours or are you then only employee with changed hours ??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I work in a shop and showed up hungover a few times (oops!) They've since reduced my hours but can they do this without notice? I don't have a contract but have been there for a year.
    Have you worked there for the same hours every week for that year?

Also, are the hours that you are not working the hours that you had came in hungover?

Finally, what are the minimum amount of hours they said they'd give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I used to work in the photo lab in a chain pharmacy for 4 hours each of Wed and Thurs nights, then 8 on Sat and 6 on Sunday. I was on a quiet counter and one evening my boss came up to me, apologised and said that my counter was now only going to be open on Thursday evenings and Sundays (plus normal work hours, but I was just the off-hours part-timer as a college job). I didn't kick up a fuss but I was obviously disappointed, I'd been there for about 2 years at that stage but like you had no contract and I was advised by quite a few people that without something explicitly stating my hours they could reduce them if they wanted at any point with no notice.

Advertisement